“Bookends” at 50

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Radio, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

You're in for a real treat. The mono versions of "Save the Life of My Child" and "Punky's Dilemma" are quite different and really are the versions that they labored over.

David Austin likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Did Lou Reed ever comment on Bookends?

3. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

He called it "S-Ends" :sigh:

4. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

More reformed than orthodox, more tuna than lox.

JuanTCB, bumbletort and driverdrummer like this.
  5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

not even close for me. bookends is pretty much perfect

rgrainger likes this.
  6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Best album by them ever, Bridge Over Troubled Waters be damned! In fact I rank them thusly:
    Bookends
    Sounds Of Silence
    Bridge Over Troubled Waters
    Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
    Wednesday Morning 3 A.M. (although I prefer the non-dubbed Sounds Of Silence over the rock version found on the 2nd LP)

7. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

"Honey, they're on pot..."
    [​IMG]

8. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Nope. Can't say that I have. That much different? Better?

9. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Very different. I, like you, never warmed to the song--then I heard the mono....

StevenTounsand likes this.
  10. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Great lp...Old Friends/Bookends Theme is simply beautiful. Overs is a favorite also

rgrainger likes this.
  11. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

It's close for me Bridge is a brilliant album - but like Bookends it has a dud track ("Bye Bye Love") Prefer Bookends but not by much.

12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

never really got into Cecilia....Only Living Boy made up for it though. Paul Simon was on another level there for awhile

13. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

Bookends was a brilliant concept album. Paul Simon is a gifted lyricist. If you grew up in the 60s and 70s, these songs were so important to your education in maturity.
    “Time it was, and what a time it was, it was. A time of innocence, A time of confidences. Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph. Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you” Everyone can relate to this.

guppy270, goer and EdogawaRampo like this.
  14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I want it. Hope it come out someday.

alexpop likes this.
  15. rainbow dome

rainbow dome Forum Resident

How do I love Bookends? Let me count the ways...

1. The fat Moog synth on "Save the Life of My Child." I can only imagine how mindblowing this sounded in 1968, because I wasn't alive then. Anyone care to speak on that?

2. On the same song, they sample themselves doing "Sound of Silence." Outrageous.

3. "America" - straight up one of the greatest songs ever written. Chills down the spine at "Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike/They've all come to look for America"

4. Garfunkel's angelic vocals on the bridge of "Overs"

5. Paul Simon was 26 when he wrote "Old Friends"

7. "Fakin' It" - minor hit that should have been a major one. Funky, ultra-catchy, with that bizarre spoken-word bridge.

8. "Punky's Dilemma" - Pure surrealist whimsy. Pot so strong you literally can't stop smiling.

9. At. The. Zoo. The most fun you can have in 2:22.

10. Oh yeah, "Mrs. Robinson" is on this album too.

11. The whole album is 29 minutes long and is more daring and engaging than many artists' whole careers.

16. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

11 likes for this.

rgrainger, rainbow dome and linclink like this.
  17. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Agree and I love "The Only Living Boy In New York" with it's references to Art's acting career. Sad in a way as I don't think he reached the same levels as a solo artist. On the other hand I love Art's solo work, a lot of which would fit nicely on a Simon & Garfunkel album.

18. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I love S&G and I own several copies of this album (including a mono) but t never clicked with me. America is awesome but the rest of it is just meh.

Not to say that anyone on this thread is off base or nuts for liking it...I just think I'm missing something.

19. alexpop

Seems a no brainer, but first Bridge(not cheap).

20. alexpop

really? link please...

21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Hmm, I think it looks forward to his solo work, which moves a step further, if anything

22. alexpop

Paul Simon made a cracking debut album, but I wouldn't be surprised if the songs were written for a possible S&G album in mind.

23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Some of the final album does, but it doesn't do much for me (solo that is). Shows how important Art was to the overall S&G sound.

24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I agree. Without Art: no SnG, but I personally prefer Simon consistently up to Graceland and less consistently beyond that - but that doesn't mean I don't like SnG and also think Bookends is their most solid work (but love Only Living Boy, Bridge and Cecilia from Bridge).

AFOS likes this.
  25. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

There's a lot to be said about this album (much of it said here). But the one comment I have:

"Overs" is the only breakup song I know that captures what it's like when a relationship awkwardly/painfully grinds to a halt. No big blow-up, no drama, no tears. Just boredom and dissatisfaction, no communication. Which, in my experience, is really how it is. "We might as well be apart. It hardly matters...we sleep separately."

Or "I'm habitually feeling kind of blue, but each time I try on the thought of leaving you, I stop - I stop and think it over."

Yep.

Ryan Lux, EdinaBob, 905 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.