Bookshelf speakers for studio apt.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by resonantFrequency, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

If you already are using your Xbox for blu ray, plus use your TV a lot, then a decent AVR will indeed make a lot of sense. Denon makes some good models that won't break your budget.

And as far as speakers go, I'm biased towards Wharfedales, as I have a set of towers in the front, and a set of their bookshelfs in the back. The challenge with them for you, though, is finding somewhere to actually hear them. But at least music direct.com has a generous 60 day 'audition' period on all their products.

resonantFrequency likes this.
  2. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I'm going to throw the KEF X300A out there. Think of it as a powered version of the Q150 and a little cousin to the LS50. They'll be an improvement over your Mackies and can except USB from the PC you're building and analog in from your TV.

With an AVR you're throwing a lot of dollars at amplification and features for surround sound that you won't use.

If you're patient and can stretch the budget to @ $1000 the KEF LS50 will offer more connectivity options and even better sound.

Just my $0.02.

3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I think for flexibility @resonantFrequency it seems an AV amp with passive speakers might be the way to go as you were naming a number of things you could eventually plug into. The powered monitors tend to at most have 2 inputs, and I don't find they have a lot of flexibility unless paired with a dac/preamp. Don't get me wrong it is what I have in the office, computer and server/renderer hooked up via a dac/preamp which is all I'd ever want up there so it is great for that; still in a living room with lots of AV things to consider, I'd probably go shopping from the list I am quoting. I would also make sure you go with an amp with a dac built in; you might go separate dac someday, but it is going to help getting as many of the tv,computer, xboxes from carrying those dac duties.

NAD and ELACS seem like a nice combo to me. Also, I have become more a fan of 2-ways, especially in small rooms or nearfield situations; they seem to image a little better. Second, pay attention to where your speakers are going to be positioned; if you don't have a lot of room between the back of the speaker and the wall, you may want to avoid rear ported speakers which can muddy things up when too close to a wall.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    McLover likes this.
  4. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Kanto yu-6. Optical in, remote, powered speakers, bluetooth, built in phono preamp. Sound good. Available in real bamboo also. Sweet.

action pact likes this.
  5. resonantFrequency

resonantFrequency Active Member Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I feel more more confident now in figuring out a setup that'd work for me. Can't help but think I'm getting into an expensive hobby!

George P and bmoregnr like this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

:uhhuh:

7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Yea, they've started showing up pretty regularly on the used markets for around $700. Nice pair on audiogon today for $720. Of course, many bought them new for $1000, so not exactly a steal at $700 used.

8. Gagnedouze

Gagnedouze Forum Resident

I have Q Acoustics 3010. They're fantastic value and look great.

9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

If you like your setup now, why not stay with Mackie? The XR624 is a big step up in power, durability and sound quality from the lower-end CR3 that just bit the dust. If you like the Mackie accuracy but want to change brands, the Focal Professional Alpha 65 fits the bill with great sound, plenty of power, and big step up in quality. Both speakers are competitively priced and fit into your budget, and they're both very much better than your old CR3.

Down the road you can add a good DAC so that you don't have to rely on the one inside the TV. Other than that, the Spotify implementation in your Samsung TV works well. If you want to go for a DAC now to really step things up, feed the digital output (probably optical) of your Samsung TV to a Schiit Bifrost DAC. Connect the Bifrost to either the Mackie XR624 or the Focal Professional Alpha 65, then sit back and prepare to be amazed. All for under $1000. It makes a very excellent, compact system that looks simple and uncluttered but makes wonderful sound. A great DAC combined with very good active speakers is a joy to behold (and hear!).

IMO, none of the speakers on your list can stand up to the quality of the XR625 or the Alpha 65. The fact that both of these monitors are actives is another plus for your setup. The Schiit DAC is about the best bang for the buck on the market today, and actually nibbles at the edge of high-end quality as far as I'm concerned.

Down the road (again), if you add components (CD player? Turntable? A fancy streamer?), all you'll need to get is a preamp to handle the additional inputs.

10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

You don't know the half of it :p! The good thing is you always get to enjoy what you have and most of the time not worry about the rest. Frankly, by ending up on the forum, if after you get set up with something you spend more time on the music thread finding out the best sounding versions of the things you like you can well get away without spending tons of money on gear, at least so I find. Let us know what you end up with, it is always fun to hear and often these threads can go radio silent on the decision front.

11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Earlier I said I was helping someone consider a dac/preamp powered monitor setup in the 1-1.5k range and Schitt or Cambridge was my thought, and frankly I didn't notice Focal made something in that price range; end of discussion on that front as I adore my Focal Shapes, so yeah I think that is bang on the answer if going powered monitors. I'd be interested in what others think, but it might be worth mentioning in a powered monitor situation like this from a company like Focal, they are doing all of the matching the amp with speaker to get you a great sound, the trial and error of picking that yourself is eliminated-- and there are a lot of considerations on that front we haven't even touched upon and frankly I don't even have a technical handle on myself even maybe 7-8 different stereos later since a teenager.

One point on the Schitt Bitfrost suggestion though, he would need volume control correct; or are you saying that will happen at the software level. My suggestion to this colleague looking for a purely music setup was to consider the Schiit Jotunheim (you could go balanced out as well), or what seemed to have more flexibility the Cambridge Dacmagic plus. If I am being honest with myself I spend more time these days listening to my dac/preamp powered monitor setup than I do my main rig.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  12. resonantFrequency

Great suggestions! Focal seems interesting. Couple questions for you

1. To improve the sound quality would I be better off with a DAC like you suggested or an AVR (which I understand also does come with integrated amp)? Since I only have 2 sources (xbox and htpc), I could do either of two things: connect my sources to AVR and then link my TV and AVR through ARC. Or connect sources to TV, and link TV to DAC via digital out.
    The only differentiating factor that comes to my mind is digital out vs HDMI. If I researched correctly, HDMI has more bandwidth than optical. Since I don't have a surround sound, will this even matter?
    Though I currently use Spotify, a pc build is on its way and I'll be able to play lossless audio soon.

2. How does a speaker like Focal 65 compare with KEF ls50 and Dynaudio BM5 MK3? KEF costs 50% more than Focal. I'll try to buy couple different options to audition but if there's going to be a significant difference in the quality, I might as well go for one of the latter models and call it a day. (this is a subjective question but I'm nevertheless curious)

13. resonantFrequency

True. That's why I'm here: to know what's out there and what to expect with what I'm spending. I should be able to make a decision soon.

14. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

Yeah KEF X300A is completely my vote as well: they include a amplification, they work wirelessly and they are coaxial (massive difference), can’t think of a better choice for the money. Steve Guttenberg did a raving review:
    Dazzle your ears with KEF's X300A powered speakers

15. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

1. I think there have no doubt been some great A/V receivers over the years that would fit your budget, but in general in your type of setup I think you’re better off with a good external DAC.

HDMI is a digital data standard. In large measure it has replaced the old analog video standard. It has found its way into digital audio systems because of DVD-A and SACD among other types of sources. Anyway, you really don’t have to consider bandwidth. Optical/Toslink or coax/SPDIF connections are far more than robust enough for audio. Tens or hundreds of millions of high quality audio connections attest to the fact that optical and coax work brilliantly.

Using your new PC, USB output to a great external DAC is the connection of choice. All good DACs come with USB, optical and coax/SPDIF inputs. You can have multiple sources connected and choose between them by using the input switch control on the DAC.

2. If you’re comparing the Focal 65 to the KEF LS50 Wireless (which is the latest version of the LS50), then you’re asking about two different beasts. The Focal 65 is an active monitor and a very good one. The KEF LS50 Wireless is also an active monitor (but based on the LS50 rather than a studio monitor design) that also integrates an excellent DAC. The LS50 Wireless is quite an accomplishment, but the sound signature is notably different from the Focal Professional Alpha 65 or the Mackie active studio monitors. Only an audition of the LS50 Wireless will determine if it’s preferable to you personally. Note that auditioning the regular LS50 (non-active) will really not tell you the whole story about the LS50W because bass and midrange quality are both noticeably improved in the LS50W.

I personally think the Focal Professional Alpha 65 and a good external DAC is a better combination than the LS50W or the regular LS50 plus integrated amp plus DAC. My sense of things is that you had a combination you liked, so I think you should build on what you had because it’s a perfectly good way to go.

Anyway, auditions will tell the tale for sure.

TV>external DAC>Focal Professional Alpha 65

TV>KEF LS50W>

TV>external DAC>integrated amp>any non-active/non-powered speakers

Cable TV box>AVR>TV and AVR separately to any non-active/non-powered speakers

Cable TV box>Digital audio to an external DAC, digital video to TV>DAC to Focal Pro Alpha 65

Etc., etc., etc.

Ivand and resonantFrequency like this.
  16. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

If you can afford $800, used Revel Performa M22s will outperform any speaker mentioned in posts so far.

17. resonantFrequency

Thanks so much, this clears things up for me.

18. james

james Summon The Queen

Within 18 months, @resonantFrequency will have a full Audio Note system and be an editor at an audiophile magazine.

19. resonantFrequency

...and broke; very much broke. :)

20. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Don't do what I did. I originally bought a complete AV setup out of a box. Denon gave me a receiver, 5 speakers and a Sub. The speakers were cheap plastic (faux wood) and they just didn't cut it.

I bought a separate Yamaha surround Receiver and some great mission speakers (made by Wharfedale) and it made a a world of difference.

Later I bought a nice vintage Marantz receiver and paired it with those speakers in another room, and it sounds beautiful...:edthumbs:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    resonantFrequency likes this.
  21. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

I'm currently using small Powered Yamaha monitor Speakers in my home studio. Compact but heavy!
    Never really had them at high volume... but at low/medium volume my ageing ears can't fault them.
    I've often though they'd sound great as bookshelf speakers in another room, I'd have to add a small mixer with XLR outs of course.

wgb113 and Brother_Rael like this.
  22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Are those the HS5 actives?

23. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Never heard Audioengine. But the little I've read,I think they really make a fair price quality speaker,with some nice choices.

24. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

HS 50M to be precise.

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Features:

• 1 x pair of RCA phono level inputs with switch for Phono/Line input versatility (Phono Pre-amp with ground screw terminal)
    • 1 x USB digital audio from a PC or Mac single RCA line level output for connection to sub.
    • 1 x Digital optical
    • 1 x 3.5mm mini jack line level
    • Bluetooth® wireless technology
    • Full featured IR remote

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.