Bookshelf speakers, recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mrtn77, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,

I'm looking to get a new pair of bookshelf speakers and would love suggestions from the fine, knowledgeable folk here.

I currently own Dali Zensors 1 and an Atoll In30 integrated amp (2 x 50 Watts into 8 ohm, 2 x 70 Watts into 4 ohm, 170 VA toroidal transformer), which I'm not looking to change for now.

Sources are a NuForce Icon HDP DAC and a Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable (through a Rega Fono Mini phono amp)

The room is 11,25 x 11,94 feet (3,43 x 3,64 meters), and the speakers would sit on a marble mantelpiece, a few inches from a wall.

I'm looking to spend less than 1000 euros (the lesser the better).

I've been looking at the Dali Menuet, the Dynaudio Emit series and the JM Reynaud Folias but don't know how they'd fare in my circumstances (amp, space and wall), and would certainly welcome other recommendations.

2. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

For that location it would be best to avoid rear ported designs. Maybe check out the Focal Chorus and Aria lines. They are front ported and French, too.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. Mrtn77

Do you have specific models in mind ?
    (Speakers need not be French, of course !)

4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

What is it you don't like about your Dali's, or what is it you are looking for sonically?

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

But... we love the way the French speak! Oo la la! :D

warp2600 likes this.
  6. Mrtn77

I quite like my Dalis for what they are, actually, and would definitely like to check out their most sophisticated offerings, if they can take my wall, small room and amp.

7. Mrtn77

You might feel differently if you heard us all the time !

8. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

So, are you itching for something that is just different?

I can relate to that.

9. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

ELAC Uni-fi UB5 Bookshelf speaker. Check them out. You won't be disappointed.

Higlander and Geir like this.
  10. Mrtn77

Alas, they don't seem to be distributed in France.

11. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Couldn't you hop on a train to Germany and have a listen and then take a pair home if you like them? Can't you order from online?

12. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Elacs sound great, but need space. They would boom like crazy in your room. With that location, and a square room, I would check out Rega RX1 speakers.

13. Mrtn77

I guess I could order online (though I'm not sure what postage costs might be for such a heavy item) but I do intend to audition everything that's kindly recommended to me, if only out of due diligence.
    As for taking a quick stroll to Germany on a speaker hunt, no, that's really not feasible for me ! It'd certainly be fun, though !

Clonesteak likes this.
  14. Mrtn77

Thanks, I will !

15. Mrtn77

Has anyone heard the Dynaudio Emit series near a wall and with a smallish amp ?
    I actually auditionned them a bit, but they sounded really weird, to the point the salesman thought they might be out of phase. He was also pushing towards the Emit 20s in a way that didn't seem wholly disinterested. When told about the specifics of my space, he claimed the foam plugs the speakers shipped with would work wonders, but I could not, of course, put that to the test.

16. arglebargle

arglebargle Forum Resident

I really, really disliked the sound of the Emit M10 with the included foam plugs. I've seen more than a few people say port plugs only effect the lowest extension but to my ears it sucks the life out of the sound. I far prefer the sound of an 80hz crossover if anything.

Anyway, I first had mine powered by an old 25 watt NAD, then a 50 watt Cambridge amp. Almost regretted getting them until I tried them with the Outlaw (100 watts) at which point break in, power and placement (3 ft off the back wall) seemed to synergize. Better to get something more suited to being close to a wall.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  17. Mrtn77

Thanks for the first-hand account. Makes sense to me !

18. moinau

moinau Forum Resident

19. Mrtn77

20. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Have you looked at System Audio? The Saxo 10's fit the description and sound great, though the next ones up -Aura 10 or Mantra 10's are better. Not very common in the US, but should be easier to check out in Europe.

21. Mrtn77

I'd never heard of them, actually.
    And no wonder : looking at their website, they seem to have dealers everywhere in the world except for France !

22. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Wharfedale 220's I've heard are very good.

Tony Cruse likes this.
  23. Mrtn77

Would they be any better than my current pair of Dali Zensors ? Seems they're pretty close.

24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

IKON ON-WALL MK2 - the ideal discrete on-wall speaker »

-Bill

25. Mrtn77

Interesting, but from what I can tell, these are no longer made. In any case, I can't find a shop in France that carries them.
    Perhaps my best bet is the Dali Menuet ? According to product literature, they're a "brillant option for an on-wall or near-wall placement".
    Anyone have first-hand experience with these ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.