Borders Coupon (part 2)*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by hbbfam, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

went to borders yesterday.

if no one buys CD's anymore why are those the first to go?

2. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Although it's probably too early for a Borders to be open here on Labor Day, does anybody have today's "line" on what the percentage reduction off retail will be today for CDs, DVDs, etc.?

(I am assuming that no further reductions will occur until at least tomorrow [after the holiday], but I'd love to be proved wrong. . . .)

Thanks for any scoop that can be given!

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I got an e-mail message yesterday saying 60-80% off. It also highlighted that they were open Labor Day.

4. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

With the bump to "80%" at the high end, I wonder if that will include the remaining blu-rays and dvds? CDs will still be at 60%, I'm pretty sure.

Because they stocked less of that category of product to begin with.

In my trips, there are usually fewer people skimming the CD section than the other sections. Often, far fewer.

5. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Doesn't the discount usually change on Thursdays?

6. Invader Zim

Invader Zim A Progressive Blues Experiment

My wife and I went to our Borders today to say goodbye more than anything else. We've been going for six years now and figured there probably wouldn't be much left of note to buy at this point.

Well, I scored Rhino's Big Star "Keep An Eye On The Sky" box set for $28! I couldn't believe it when I saw that beauty sitting in the makeshift CD bin. Just goes to show that you never know what you'll find, even when you think everything has been picked over.

I'll miss my Borders even more now that it was so good to me at the end. :thumbsup:

7. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Went to my local Borders today and the CD section was bare racks, the only ones remaining I wouldn't have bought at any price. I guess there are still people who want them. The Box Sets were all gone, the only one I found was the Band On The Run Super Deluxe in the music book section. At 60% off it would have been $39.99 + tax, I passed on it, I already have 2 cds and 3 vinyl copys of this. If it were 80% off I might have bought it for the book. The Blu-ray section was picked clean also, they had 70% off for those.

8. Right now, as of today:

CDs and DVDs: 60% off
    Blu-rays: 70% off
    Magazines: 80% off
    Books are all over the map, with some categories at 60% off and a few genres at higher percentages.

Be careful thinking everything left is automatically going to be cheaper than getting the item off a site like Amazon. People have gotten much smarter using scanning apps on their smartphones to price things, so a sizable chunk of the remaining CD stock have been left behind for a reason by other customers. Liquidations are a lot less fun than in the past and the value is more questionable.

9. Misery_loves..

Pretty soon they are gonna rename it, 'Perfume, Candles 'n Blankets R US'.

10. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Signs on the windows of the local Borders say: Last 5 Days. (Of course, I'm unsure when that sign went up--or even if the folks inside are counting.)

CDs were still at 60% discount.

11. The liquidators have been known to say a location is closing early as sort of a high-pressure sales technique.;) The only sure sign a store is closing is when they drop the discount percentage again to clear out as much stock as possible.

12. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

13. Misery_loves..

As someone suggested earlier in this thread or the other Borders-related thread of old, this being Thursday, they just dropped percentages again. 70% and up on everything, starting today (received the email today).

Have the stores been keeping their normal business hours throughout this liquidation process, does anyone know?

14. Went to one around me yesterday afternoon and everything was $1.

Nothing of interest for me though. :)

I may have missed the good stuff.

On a side note, it is crazy to think of the things people will buy at $1. I saw people leaving with boxes of books. Strange...

15. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

16. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Mine has had Normal store hours so far .

17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Just paid my final visit to Borders. Wound up purchasing one last cd there for about $4 (the most recent Badly Drawn Boy). Got a lot of music over the years there and saw a handful of good in-store performances, too (at the downtown Seattle store years ago).

So long. :wave:

18. Misery_loves..

I had my eye on that Badly Drawn Boy too. Decided to pass. Might still be available for the final markdown and I've already purchased too much stuff as it is.

thanks.

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Wow. I didn't know Borders still existed.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

made my last trip to borders tonight and it was pretty much picked over.

i did get rosanne cash's book for $5.20.

bye bye borders :(

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Even when they were in business they looked pretty much picked over.

22. The news is not much better for Barnes & Noble. Most locations will soon be dropping all CD, DVD and Blu-ray stock to replace the space with...a section devoted to the Nook. We are getting closer and closer to the point where buying any media will be very hard at retail.

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The Nook seems to be B&N's best chance to survive. I hope it does.

24. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Well, so much for those Criterion sales then. What losers. One more store to never walk into again.

And I'd never read a "book" with a gadget. Never.

25. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Maybe their best chance as a company, but not the best chance for the B&M stores to stay in existence. I think they need book sales, not e-books, in order to keep those going. If all they end up selling in the future is Nooks and e-books, there is no purpose in B&M stores and the overhead they bring. Plus people won't have any need to go to a physical store to browse either.

I think that's what I will miss the most from B&M stores for both books and music - the browsing and discovery that comes with it. It just isn't the same online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.