Borders in trouble - B&N not much better

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by paulg61, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:eek: Wow, just got an email saying the Borders in Buckhead closing. :cry:

2. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Again, I don't want to see Dale and Ann and Angie lose their jobs. But as Hunter S. Thompson helpfully pointed out so many years ago, kill the head and the body will die. And Borders' execs are clearly brain-dead.

Hope my old co-workers have their resumes ready.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I wonder with all these big chains closing will it give a little hope to the mom and pop stores? I'd hope that with these guys gone the people who still like to buy in B&M stores (however small that might be) will go to the mom and pop stores.

Maybe I'm just in the land of make believe here....

It seems that so many of these corporations followed the ideas of the past...take on debt to expand beyond all reason. I bet some of the stores were probably profitable but once you add the fact they had to pay off debt there was no chance.

Eddie

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I've been wondering the same thing Eddie. We have a local, if expensive store, in Decatur. I am sure Decatur CD and other independent stores will benefit from the lack of competing supply.

However, in the long run it may be more unclear...the real question may be...

"With the closing of most CD retail outlets, will consumers get rusty in shopping for music in brick & mortar and stop altogether?"

and

"With CDs out of sight and therefore out of mind, will music have even more trouble attracting attention against the onslaught of Apple toys, games, and Blu-Rays?"

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Mom and Pop didn't even have any kids!!! It was all an act, Jerry. They conned us, and they scored, big time. :laugh:

7. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

You better believe it buddy.

8. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

What's so great about a mom and pop store? Let me tell you something, if my mom and pop ran a store I wouldn't shop there!

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Ah great episode. :laugh:

Eddie

10. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

:laugh:

11. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

KRAMER: Hey.

JERRY: Hey, so where's my sneakers?

KRAMER: That's what I wanna know.

JERRY: What do you mean?

KRAMER: Well, I saw Mom and Pop this morning, but when I went by the store on my way home? The place was empty. Everything is gone. Mom and Pop - vrooop - vanished.

JERRY: So all my sneakers are gone?

KRAMER: I'm afraid so. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I've been asking around - they didn't even have any kids.

JERRY: Mom and Pop aren't even a Mom and Pop?!

KRAMER: It was all an act, Jerry. They conned us, and they scored, big time.

ELAINE (amused): So. Mom and Pop's plan was to move into the neighborhood...establish trust...for 48 years. And then, run off with Jerry's sneakers.

KRAMER: Apparently.

12. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

How come I never get a big payout when I screw up. Isn't that the case with most people?

I remember joking with one of my business professors and he said once you get out of here with your degree if you want to be rich get to the top of a corporation, run it into the ground, get them to fire you and take the big payout. :laugh:

14. bundee1

bundee1 Forum Resident

I love that these MFckin executives can cut employee hours and benefits but justify bonuses for themselves. The same MFers who drove the company into the ground in the first place.

15. Oatsdad

Best part of the scene! I've made similar accusations with friends! :laugh:

16. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Agreed.

17. Grunherz54

Grunherz54 Forum Resident

I pre-ordered two items from Borders.com using the 50% coupons from a couple of weeks ago. The release dates for both items has since passed and the order status has changed from 'pre-order' to 'backordered.' Amazon and several other online retailers show them as being in stock and ready to ship.

18. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Did all Borders stores close?

19. Oatsdad

No...

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

When they had a 50%-off coupon a couple of weeks ago, I ordered the Carole King MFSL SACD. It was back-ordered, but I still got it in about a week.

Not yet.

21. Oatsdad

I've got both of next week's expensive McCartney releases pre-ordered via 50% coupon - wish me luck! :wave:

22. Oatsdad

Quoting myself: got the shipping notice yesterday, so I should have both on street date. Hooray for me! :D

23. A couple of my pre-orders using the 50% coupon also shipped out.

24. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks!

25. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I got an e-mail from B&N saying that I can upgrade to a limited free B&N membership for a few months, that expires 1/31/2012.

Time Window ends Dec. 15.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.