' Born To Run ' At 45-- How Is It Holding Up ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Yes , Bruce fans ... ' Born To Run ' will be celebrating its 45th anniversary later this month.
    A true classic album and the one that put the Boss in the public eye. I recall he was on the covers of both Time and Newsweek after its release.
    I was at a party at some guy's place back then and he had just bought it and I asked him to play it and he obliged me.
    What an album ! Blew me away.
    I had bought the first two Springsteen albums before and liked them both but this was a different thing altogether.

2. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

A poll on this might have been interesting.

Jimmy B., Sean and RC1 like this.
  3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

15-20 years ago, it was my coming of age record. That was 25-30 years after the original release.
    So I'd say that it's still holding up and serving its purpose after all these years.

Wenthrope, Moshe, daveidmarx and 5 others like this.
  4. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

It's timeless and a triumph. Bruce poured his heart out into that record knowing it was probably his last chance. He made it count. Pretty cool too that other than the title track, the E Street Band would continue with the same members to this day (I guess it's less impressive if you take the hiatus into account and the death of two members).

DBMartin, richarm, jlocke08 and 6 others like this.
  5. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I read about Bruce here and there before Born to Run was released, then heard the whole album on the radio one night while I was doing my homework. By the time Backstreets came along, I wasn't doing my homework anymore. I bought the album immediately and shortly after bought a ticket from a local radio station to see him in Seattle. My friends all thought I was nuts to go all the way across the state to see someone they'd never heard of (of course that would all change later). The show was just as mindblowing.

I'd say BTR holds up very well. A couple of the songs I'm a little weary of hearing in concert (my mind just kind of shuts off during the BTR encore), but the album still sounds like a masterpiece.

6. Trenwell

Trenwell Forum Resident

I grew up in the D C. area and moved to the Jersey shore when I was 17, not a big Bruce fan when I moved there and equally indifferent to him the two years I was there. When I was 19 and moved back to D.C. the radio played BTR in it's entirety as it was an anniversary of its release, and I couldn't believe what I was not just hearing but also seeing. Every dirt road, every night time walk on the beach with my girlfriend, every P.O.S. car I road around in with friends. And also just how isolated so many parts of a beach town can feel, even in summer. I sat there and watched the last 2 years of my life flash in front of me. He was really a writer in every sense of the word. So yeah, for me a resounding yes.

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Still his best album.

8. drift

drift Forum Resident

People sharing their personal stories of hearing it in '75 is more interesting, for me, since I came to the album only fifteen years ago.

That must be his "Blowin' In The Wind". I've simply heard that too many encores.

9. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

It's as great as ever. Still one of his finest.

Bevok, alan967tiger, Trenwell and 7 others like this.
  10. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Eh, at least Bob plays that one a little differently these days. The full band BTR sounds pretty much the same every time, year after year after year. . . Yeah, the acoustic version is different. It's OK, but not my favorite.

11. Wildest cat from montana

This may be an unpopular thought but I don't like ' Jungle land ' anymore.
    It 's too overwrought
    "TONIGHT .....in......Jun. ..gle....L. ...an....dd !"

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Still holds up as a masterpiece but I still don't like it.
    I love the title track though.

13. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

every bit the boring pile of overrated pabulum it's always been, just 45 years older.

Boy Blue, MrSka57, Marvin and 5 others like this.
  14. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

It holds up very well. Although I love the first two albums, Born To Run is where Springsteen truly finds himself. It had the drive and bombast that made The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle so appealing but the songs were shorter, sharper and more digestible for a casual listener or newcomer.

15. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

Born to Run is perfection.

DBMartin, Carlos B, jlocke08 and 6 others like this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

Don't sugar coat it. Tell us how you really feel.

17. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I could say so much worse

18. Wildest cat from montana

Just curious...
    You don't like it because you don't like Springsteen or you don't like it because it's lower-tier Springsteen ?

Hermes likes this.
  19. Wildest cat from montana

Go for it.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  20. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I was going to post this thought exactly. I still looooove this record and especially love the title track, She’s The One and Night. As for the epic side closers, I think Backstreets has held up great, what a fantastic performance. But J-Land now sounds a little overblown, almost like Meatloaf overblown. Better guitars than Meatloaf though!

21. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I've mentioned before, it took me 30 years to like it. I remember hearing it in 1975 because a few people I knew bought it due to the hype. It's hard to imagine that happening today. I wasn't crazy about it, with all the melodrama and bellowing. A few years later, I heard the first two and liked them, but still didn't like BTR. In the mid 80's when his tour was the major attraction, I saw him at the Meadowlands. I went because my girlfriend at the time was a fan. I left unconvinced. Finally when the 30th anniversary edition with the DVD came out, I gave it another shot. I liked the DVD better, but it finally clicked. I've never given an album that much time to come around to other than Song Cycle by Van Dyke Parks, which I eventually gave up on. Anyway, I like it, but I don't love it. I wouldn't call myself a Springsteen fan, but I really like the first two albums.

22. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

It's still a stone cold masterpiece. Thunder Road is one of my all-time favorite songs.

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I like some of his work but perhaps less the overblown Spectorian stuff with cascading pianos and squeeling sax. I'd have thought that the Born To Run album was top-tier.

24. Wildest cat from montana

I meant lower-tier in your opinion.

25. Wildest cat from montana

When I first heard the album that song grabbed me immediately ( as it was meant to do ) and instantly became a favourite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.