Bosch, Jazz Vinyl Loving Cop On Amazon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dubmart, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone else watched the Amazon original series "Bosch", I enjoyed it, a little bit like "The Shield", but lighter, a bit like "Major Crimes", but more political, anyway as we are on a music forum who can tell me what his Hi-Fi system is? For those who haven't watched it, the main character likes to relax by playing Jazz records, he also promises to buy his daughter a record deck and some Jazz vinyl as it's the best way to hear it, good writing or another sign of vinyl being trendy, is that how he's written in the books?

benjaminhuf likes this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Read the books. Start with The Black Echo and read them all. Michael Connelly is the author. Twenty plus years of a great character.

3. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I loved he books and am watching the first episode now. It's pretty good.

4. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Love the books and plan to watch the Amazon series, but they're re-writing Bosch's love of Jazz if they're limiting him to vinyl. I am pretty sure that in the books, Bosch plays CDs exclusively - often in the car.

BTW, I picked up a copy of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch book "Last Light" that included a Jazz compilation CD titled, "Dark Sacred Night: The Music Of Harry Bosch". The tracklist is:
    1. “Lullaby” – Frank Morgan, Mood Indigo
    2. “Soul Eyes” – John Coltrane, The Gentle Side Of John Coltrane
    3. “My Funny Valentine” – A
    rt Pepper and the Hollywood All-Stars, Art Standards
    4. “My Foolish Heart” –
    Bill Evans, Bill Evans Walkman Jazz
    5. “Mood Indigo” –
    Frank Morgan, Jazz ‘Round Midnight
    6. “For All We Know” –
    Sonny Rollins, Falling In Love With Jazz
    7. “Lush Life” –
    Joe Henderson, The Definitive Joe Henderson
    8. “Straight Life” –
    Art Pepper, Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section
    9. “Willow Weep For Me” –
    Clifford Brown, Clifford Brown
    10. “What A Wonderful World” –
    Louis Armstrong, Pure Jazz

Note: most of the LPs listed are compilations - no idea why they did that

M1ke2345 and ssmith3046 like this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member Thread Starter

Not a CD in sight in the TV show so I guess they have changed that, although vinyl does seem to suit the character as portrayed in the show.

6. bresna

bresna Senior Member

If you follow the link I gave for to the CD, you'll see the CD's liner notes (written by noted Jazz writer Gary Giddins). The liner notes quote many of Connelly's Jazz references in the books and nearly all of them mention CDs, not LPs. I don't remember Harry ever playing an LP.

No big deal, but it is a change. Connelly must've wanted it, or it wouldn't be in there. Maybe in the next Bosch book, he'll be playing records now? :)

BTW, I ordered Art Pepper's "The Croydon Concert May 14, 1981" from his widow's website specifically for Art's performance of the tune "Patricia", which Bosch waxed poetically about so much that I just had to hear it. Bosch (Michael Connelly) was right to recommend it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I just finished the series last night and loved it. Broadcast networks never do cop shows this well.

Best use of Los Angeles locations I've seen in quite awhile.

M1ke2345 likes this.
  8. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Read all the books, binge-watched the series, thought it was really good!
    I couldn't ID the receiver / tuner on the left, but he has a McIntosh 240 tube amp, pretty certain it is a Marantz 6300 turntable, and Ohm Walsh 4 speakers(??)...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

brew ziggins and Dubmart like this.
  9. ssmith3046

I've been reading the Bosch books, and Connelly's other books, since 1992 and I already have a preconceived notion of what Harry looks like and how he's aged. I'm not sure I could watch a TV actor playing him. He's about 64 or 65 currently. How old is the actor playing him in the series?

10. progrocker71

Titus Welliver is 53.

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Roll on the box set. Sounds like my kind of show.

12. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

In one of the books, Bosch is listening to a Lucinda Williams CD and comments that her voice sounds like "it has a lot of miles on it". I always thought that was a perfect description.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  13. bresna

bresna Senior Member

That definitely looks like a Mcintosh MX-110 (Z model) preamp on the left. I watched the first 5 episodes so far and when they showed this setup, the preamp dial was all blue, just like my MX-110. Yeah, I'd say that's an MX-110.

So Harry basically has my amplification chain. :)

BTW, they are really changing this series up from the books, which doesn't bother me too much. For one thing, Harry is suddenly a Golf War vet instead of a Vietnam vet, which makes his tunnel rat background a bit weird in context. I tend to doubt there were many tunnels in the Gulf War. :) Also, they seem to be making him out to be some sort of respected leader in the detective room. That's not how he is portrayed most of the time in the books. In the books, Harry's the lone wolf - even Edgar doesn't work too closely with him.

14. ssmith3046

Connelly is a fan of Frank Morgan's music and co-produced a documentary titled Sound Of Redemption. It's being screened around the country but has not been released on DVD yet.
    http://thefrankmorganproject.com/index.html

15. ssmith3046

He's kind of like Dirty Harry in the books, tough on partners. I think he's respected but a lone wolf as you say.

16. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Just started watching this show. It's about damn time Titus Welliver had his own show.

17. progrocker71

Bosch has been renewed for a second season. Good news!

Scope J, Scott222C and wayneklein like this.
  18. HILO

HILO Senior Member

Smart Move.

19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Finished up the season over the weekend. Great show! Welliver's son plays him in the flashbacks, I wondered how they found an actor that looked so much like him.

I ended up downloading the first novel to my Kindle and started reading it as well, so the show definitely made we want to know more about Bosch.

Welliver's a terrific actor. He brings a nice lived in feeling to the part. Glad to see he's getting more opportunities to display his talent.

Check out his Christopher Walken impression on You Tube. Very funny!

20. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Just finished this. Good show! In spite of the contemporary setting, seemed noir like in a good way. Also had a tip of the hat to Mannix at one point.

21. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

Watched the whole season over the weekend with my brother because he is reading the books. Loved it.

Scott222C likes this.
  22. Great series. Titus is a terrific actor and I'm wondering why it took so long for them to finally gice him a series. So tragic about his wife (not the person he is currently married to) and her struggle with breast cancer/death.

23. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Yes, great series and may there be many seasons to enjoy in the future !

That apartment ! :pineapple:

24. progrocker71

It's not an apartment, it's a house in the Hollywood hills.

1870 Blue Heights Dr, Los Angeles CA

25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I finally got around to seeing this and loved it. Great performance by Welliver. Now I want the box set!