Bosch, Jazz Vinyl Loving Cop On Amazon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dubmart, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

If anyone wants to read the books the tv series is based on, season one has elements of City of Bones, Echo Park, and The Concrete Blonde. Season 2 is based partially on Trunk Music, The Drop, and The Last Coyote. Season 3 will be based mostly on The Black Echo (the first Bosch novel), and A Darkness More Than Night. I'm very curious to see what they use from ADMTN since the novel is a collaboration between Bosch and Terry McCaleb, the character from the hook and movie Blood Work, starring Clint Eastwood.

M1ke2345 likes this.
  2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Thanks for the information. I just picked up a copy of The Black Echo, the series inspired me to start reading the series.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  3. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I think it's funny that in the tv version Bosch has a very expensive hillside house looking out over the city, but we never see his personal car. In the books he has a hillside house, but it's not as nice as the house on tv, but at one time or another he has a Mustang and a Mercedes Benz SUV.

4. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

What's a "record deck" - a turntable?

5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Common UK term for a turntable.

Coricama likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

absolutely, been hooked on them for years

ssmith3046 likes this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member Thread Starter

I didn't know it wasn't used as a term across the Atlantic, we also use "record player" although I tend to think of them as all in ones with amp and speaker built in, but other people may mean record deck/turntable when they say record player. I think I picked record deck up from hanging around hi-fi shops thirty plus years ago.

8. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Thanks. I've been familiar with British culture (and pop culture) all my life and have known many people from the UK, but have never heard or read the term 'record deck' before. I still use the term 'record player' [a remnant of my pre-hifi, pre-audiophile childhood] and not 'turntable'.

9. BradF

BradF Senior Member

Only in the most recent book do I remember a reference to vinyl. He'd always been a CD only guy playing Frank Morgan albums and seemingly nothing else.

from The Crossing -
    "He turned on the lights in the living room and went to the stereo. He hit the power button and put the needle down on the album already on the turntable. He didn’t even look to see what it was.

He put his gun down on the stereo receiver and, stripping his jacket off, tossed it over to the couch. He was dead tired from the long and strenuous day but too keyed up for sleep. The first strains of trumpet rose from the speakers and Bosch knew it was Wynton Marsalis playing “The Majesty of the Blues,” an old one he had picked up recently on vinyl. The song seemed appropriate to the moment. He opened the slider and stepped out onto the back deck."

Bhob likes this.
  10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Interesting. Connelly produced a documentary on Morgan

Is there a hope in hell these series will come out in a box anytime soon?

11. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

My favorite scene in Season 2 is when his daughter is staying with him.

She's in a chair sitting in front of his turntable with McIntosh MX-110 and Mc 240 amp, but she's listening to streamed tunes on her phone through Beat$ Headphones. I laughed out loud.

M1ke2345 likes this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Michael Connelly is my favorite contemporary writter. I been reading his books since the first Bosch book that was published in 1992, I think, I'd have to check. Anyway, new Bosch novel coming in November. I've never seen the show.

13. ssmith3046

I think I remember references to Art Pepper too.

M1ke2345 likes this.
  14. ssmith3046

And now an old Harley he's working on.

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember my mother telling about him in the 90's, I think she saw a review of a Bosch book in USA today. I, too, have been on board ever since.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  16. BradF

BradF Senior Member

Yes, I'm remembering a reference in an earlier book to his multi-disc cd player and filling it with Art Pepper discs. I've come away with the impression he has a real soft spot for Frank Morgan though. For sure he must have a good sized jazz collection.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  17. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't watch many of the the crime detective programs my wife records of the DVR, but I see the title Bosch on the inventory now, and will check it out.

18. ssmith3046

Chet Baker had also been referenced by Bosch in the books too.

19. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I knew his name was familiar, but had to google it to see who it was. Reading the wiki entry, this stuck out:
    "Today he is seen as a hugely individualistic painter with deep insight into humanity's desires and deepest fears."

A lone wolf w/ deep insight- sounds like our hero. While he may have been more of a lone wolf in the books, he still seems to fit that mold in the show.

Binge-watched the 2 seasons in like 3 days. Great series- and I am SO tired of cop shows. But similar to True Detective, there's much more meat here than in most cop shows. Looking forward to S3 & 4!

M1ke2345 and Scott222C like this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yes, read them all. I didn't read them in order when I started and I didn't lost that much as I went along.
    Don't miss the Reversal, he shows up in a large supporting role.

21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

When is S3 airing?

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I recognize Macintosh but I'm even more curious about the pyramid-shaped speakers of his.

Anybody know exactly what his setup is?

23. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Ohm Walsh speakers.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

25. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

Season 3 is out now. In the second episode, he goes record shopping at Amoeba Music in Hollywood. :)