Bossa nova samba canção old brazil

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by caio vaz, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi people,
    Who there loves the brazilian ones from the 50s and 60s like João Gilberto, Tom Jobim, Luiz Bonfa, Johhny Alf, Dick Farney, Roberto Menescal, Carlos Lyra, Marcos Valle, Dorival Caymmi, Bola Sete, Dolores Duran, Tito Madi, Miltinho, Os Cariocas,Elizeth Cardoso, Lupcinio Rodrigues among others!!

frightwigwam likes this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

In the north we heard a lot of Astrud Gilberto (João's wife), because of the Stan Getz recordings. I was wondering if she was well known in Brasil?

Astrud Gilberto - Wikipedia

I also like the Tamba Trio a lot.

caio vaz likes this.
  3. caio vaz

So so, i love her voice, but a lot of people dont know her.. in here in Brazil people know the must Nara Leão and Elis Regina

beccabear67 likes this.
  4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I only have one Nara (on Elenco) but it's very good. Very early for her I think too.

[​IMG]

Jimi Bat likes this.
  5. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Since I really like the people on your list whose names I know, now I have to check out all the ones unfamiliar to me. Thanks, I think. ;)

caio vaz likes this.
  6. caio vaz

Some of this artists arent bossa nova,but samba canção, that was the brazilian romantic ballads from the 50s 40s, that inspired the creation of bossa. Was inspired at slow samba, bolero,french romantic,and american standards.

jkauff likes this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Does Jorge Ben fall within your thread category @caio vaz ? I like many of his 60s and 70s albums, but he doesn't seem well known in NA.

Nara and Elis were fine singers but I find them to be a bit too commercial pop in terms of the arrangements. Both died rather young sadly. Of course the 60s era Bossa artists are reasonably well known in the US such as Gilberto, Jobim, Bonfa. Bola Sete etc.

caio vaz likes this.
  8. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

This is great stuff. Thanks for posting. I'm into Basia and Michael Franks, and should have thought to explore their roots beyond Astrud, Getz, etc.

beccabear67 likes this.
  9. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

i think henri salvador "dans mon île" play an important part for the birth of that style!

10. caio vaz

Yeah, Jorge Ben began in bossa nova at 1963, 64 and quickly become more into soul music, and tropicalia thing..

11. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

One of the greatest albums ever, in any genre.

Os Afro Sambas by Vinicius de Moraes and Baden Powell.

frightwigwam, Jimi Bat and caio vaz like this.
  12. ShockControl

Roberto Menescal

alexpop, beccabear67 and caio vaz like this.
  13. caio vaz

Menescal is wonderful! One of these days i was watching a video from Guaraldi with Bola sete,and at the comments Menescal was talking in portuguese that he didnt know that Bola was so jazz like that! And that they played together in Carnagie hall in 62 and he didnt care bout Sete because he was making too much "pose' hahaha. "Fazendo muita visagem' he said.
    Another good musician is João Donato with a very Guaraldi touch on piano,try him too..

14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I've seen Jorge Ben's later 60s and 70s album characterized as Soul music but I don't hear that much, if at all. I don't know if it is a US vs non US definition but here we make a distinction between R&B and soul. R&B has a stronger recurrent beat and rhythm while soul music tends to be slower and concentrate on vocalism. So I hear a R&B influence in Jorge Ben's later work integrated with a Bossa groove and some light Tropicali arrangements. That wouldn't be called Soul music in the US.

15. ShockControl

A Bad Donato on Blue Thumb is one of my favorite albums ever.

Bill Diercks likes this.
  16. caio vaz

He became what we generally call mpb(popular brazilian music), that a lot of artists that plays bossa,soul,rock,pop,samba, all have this definition here.

Mr Bass likes this.
  17. caio vaz

Good one! Did you listen to "muito a vontade'? Another good album

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

All subjective.
    Best version of So Nice ?
    I prefer Wanda Sa ( Sergio Mendez) combination of her voice and sax.

Nate-O-Phonic likes this.
  19. Sirius Plissken

Sirius Plissken Well-Known Member

Rare, unknown and underrated...

20. unfunkterrible

unfunkterrible Forum Resident

My favourite live album : Elis Regina and Jair Rodrigues Dois Na Bossa , fantastic !

frightwigwam likes this.
  21. unfunkterrible

unfunkterrible Forum Resident

And a little bit of choro with Paulo Moura e Os Batutas :

22. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

I'm deeply attached to Brazil, a wonderful country with great people that gave me so much when I spent two years there. I arrived in Sao Paulo from Paris the very same hour the plane from Italy landed with the body of Ayrton Senna, nearly 26 years ago. I'll never forget the sadness of everybody there at the airport, on the way to the center of SP, and in the streets of the city for days.
    Incredible musicians everywhere, I remember seeing in the streets of Belem a young girl singing MPB songs playing Pastorius style bass only accompanied by a percussionist.
    I've been back there many times since, last time with my family in 2017, as my best friend lives in Copacabana. We've had a wonderful time in the Carioca da Gema or the Beco do Rato, great places with great musicians (Rogê !!!)
    So sad to see that the country is again in a very difficult situation.
    I still listen to a lot of brazilian music, e tenho muita saudade do Brasil.
    I was listening to Joao Donato with Tulipa Ruiz the other day:

frightwigwam likes this.
  23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

An excellent site you might enjoy, and provide you with a new 'path' into the multitudinous splendors of Bossa Nova:
    Lyrical Brazil

lately Gal Costa for me, and a wonderful anthology of Quarteto em Cy 64-66 albums. All sorts of amazing, poignant, visionary performances, like:

A rare TV appearance: Andy Williams, Quarteto em Cy & Marcos Valle - Até Londres

and Tamba Trio's "The Sea and We".

frightwigwam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.