Boston vinyl shopping

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ashulman, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Its been a couple years since we had people recommend places in Boston to buy vinyl, so I need an update. I'm heading there next week and need the lowdown.

2. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

Newbury Comics on Newbury St. or Harvard Square is your best bet for new vinyl. For used, Harvard Square has Looney Tunes, In Your Ear, and Planet Records. Twisted Village in Harvard Square also has a cool selection of more obscure stuff. You could spend hours hitting just the record stores within a mile of each other in Harvard Square. There is also an even bigger In Your Ear location on Commonwealth Avenue near Boston University.

John Adam likes this.
  3. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, that's great. We are heading over to Harvard Square so it looks like I'll be in good shape

4. bliss53

bliss53 Forum Resident

I visted the norwood ma newbury comics on route 1. It is their biggest store and they buy and sell used vinyl out of that location. The new vinyl stock is also pretty impressive. I do not remember the store names in harvard square but there is a good one but I remember thinking the prices were a little high.

5. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Looney Tunes Boston (Boylston Street) is great if you have time to dig. I haven't frequented the used Harvard Square stores in a while, but I find most of them too small, overpriced and they tend to lack selection.

New vinyl = Newbury Comics (Boston) gets my vote. The one in Norwood is great for used vinyl, but their new selection isn't nearly as vast as Boston.

Have fun! :)

6. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Also Cheapo Records in Central Sq in Cambridge, and Stereo Jacks at the other side of Massachusetts Ave in Cambridge (near Somerville).

7. jamesanderson

jamesanderson New Member

(you guys forgot or don't know of)
    Weirdo Records !!

844 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA‎ - (857) 413-0154‎

totally obscure awesome new vinyl junkie shop

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

As someone who's lived here for quite a while now, I'll say that vinyl shopping in this area, despite the seemingly large number of stores, is pretty lousy. Mostly low turnover and high prices. Sure, if you're in the area, take a peek. But if you come from a place with good stores I don't think you'll be that pleased.

Personally, I'd take a trip across the river and visit Nuggets (Kenmore Square) and the In Your Ear near BU on Commonwealth Ave (WAY better than the Harvard Square store). Also, Reed, the guy who owns In Your Ear, is a good, personable guy.

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

If you want to make a 45-minute sidetrip to Gloucester, Mystery Train has the best vinyl pickings in the Boston area.

Marc Perman likes this.
  10. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

& if you head up that way, The Record Exchange in Salem is pretty good too.

Marc Perman likes this.
  11. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

Heading to Salem on Saturday, and I was wondering if there was a vinyl shop up there that I'd forgotten about. Been a long time since my days cavorting with the pagans up there. I remember walking by the Ryko headquarters a few times.

Stereo Jacks on Mass Ave in Cambridge (not far from Harvard Square) is worth the trip just to hear the guys who work there talk music trivia--plus they have a dollar bin with some really good stuff. Planet Records in the Square is just too expensive and the Newbury Comics there doesn't have crap. In Your Ear is worth it for the experience on Mt. Auburn.

12. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Is there any connection between it and the Mystery Train record store that used to be in Harvard Square many years ago?

13. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I probably wouldn't go record shopping again in Boston. I found it the weakest of any of the cities I've been shopping in. The shops that are there must be 100% Ebay-ing anything good that comes in.

Om likes this.
  14. Tomek

Tomek Senior Member

thanks for the info on Boston Record stores

I'm in Boston until Monday and in my free time I want to browse your record stoes. I will not despise a good used CDs.
    Today (on Tuesday) I have discovered Jenny Lewis and was glad to hear and buy a new album by Yo La Tengo.

I bought also some CD mastered by Steve Hoffman for Audio Fidelity. WOW!!!

I'm glad to be in Boston, Ma.

Cheers
    Tomek from Krakow, Poland

15. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Great way to kill a Saturday, hit The Vinyl Exchange, then head over to the brewery for lunch!

Stereo Jack's is totally worth it just to hear the two guys banter back & forth, especially when the owner isn't there! Try going in the middle of the day on a Mon-Fri, they really let it fly sometimes!

Marc Perman likes this.
  16. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Indeed.

17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

A bit of a threadcrap but would I be better off going to Gloucester and Salem for their record stores or to Bull Moose music in Portsmouth, NH? I've never been to any of these stores and I was thinking of heading down this weekend.

I've been to a few of the Boston/Cambridge stores several years ago, but I HATE driving in Boston. Especially since this Saturday's weather is looking pretty crappy...

18. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

I agree I used to always shop in town for my CDs but not anymore the only thing that saves Boston at this point is Newbury ....and even there it's Hit Or Miss!

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

+1 on the Boylston Looney Tunes. Always find something to take home on my 1-2 trips a year back to my old home town. Never have much luck in Harvard Sq., but In Your Ear on Comm. Ave has been a very good store for 20+ years. And yeah, Reed is a good guy.

20. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Agreed... I just hit Cheapo Records and Nuggets, and the selection was terrible. Anything that looked halfway decent was really overpriced too... much better off in the suburbs overall.

21. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

I am heading to Boston in a few weeks and am staying in the Back Bay area. The closest spot to me is Newburry Comics on Newburry Street and from the look of things, the closest used vinyl spot is Nuggets in Kenmore Square. After reading this thread though, my enthusiasm to check out any other stores has dampened big time. Any other recommendations? I am only really interested in checking them out if they are within walking or T distance (i.e. Downtown, Fenway, South End, Back Bay, etc).

Thanks.

22. Tomek

Tomek Senior Member

Boston music stores

Hi

Newbury Comics are OK, but most of the 2nd LP stores are just dying. Few sellections with frustrated old chaps. It seems as if the owner of the 2nd hand store was also the owner of the house. I can hardly imagine them to earn enough money to pay the rent of commercial premises they use. Nothing to choose from. Remains from the golden age (back in the 70-80s, I think)
    There is one better looking one (on Masssachussets avenue (Weirdo ?) check as well Planet Records in the basement. Some books as well and friendly service.

See this link along with the reviews.
    http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=record+stores&find_loc=boston,+ma

I got me a lot of CDs (new and used) from Newbury Comics (there are 3 stores I found - all are quite good). I bought almost new Neil Young Archive box for some 60$, for example!

You can walk or take the Underground Train to get there easily. I decided to walk through Mass. Ave - cos I like to search places I have been to. It gives me a nice thrill.

Cheers
    Tomek

Marc Perman likes this.
  23. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

I advise you to check out Looney Tunes over Nuggets. Both are not exactly thriving, but Nuggets' selection is a step above atrocious and overpriced.

For new vinyl, Newbury Comics on Newbury street is the best-stocked 'new' vinyl store I know of (local and/or in MA). I could easily walk in there and back out again hundreds of dollars poorer with MFSL, Sundazed, etc. releases in tow!!

24. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Check out the Newbury Comics in Norwood, MA. It's about 20 mins south of Boston and lots of nice used vinyl. Great staff and great prices!

25. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Thread revival!

Planning a trip to Boston in a few months. What stores are there now for used vinyl?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.