Boston vinyl shopping

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ashulman, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

They know a lot but they miss stuff that's out of their experience. I bought a $400 record for $3 there once. I haven't been in their zone for a while but would never fail to stop in if I was.

Phishman and Vinyl Addict like this.
  2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

You do know that when Store 54 was in that space, what they were selling was the Looney Tunes stock, right?

3. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

So I had heard. I went by there a couple of times but couldn't find a place to park the car, then recently found the store was gone completely. I just found an article about the Store 54 closing. It mentioned that the owner was going to sell off his stuff at the Brimfield flea market. I wonder if the remnants of the Looney Tunes collection was included?

4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I've bought a lot of LPs signed by now-deceased important jazz musicians there for a few bucks, ie: $2.95 for an autographed Dizzy Gillespie album.

5. action pact

You perfectly described the scene there. Eleni is a bit of a nut, but a nice one. My strategy is to be as respectful and polite to her as possible, and just let her do her thing. Go with her flow. If you've behaved accordingly, you will be rewarded when you bring her your pile of records and she totals them up. I've gotten some wonderful deals just by being nice to her.

6. action pact

I recently stumbled upon teeny tiny record store on the 4th floor of an old mill building on Jackson St. in Lowell called Vinyl Destination. They have some great stuff in there!

7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yup, that's the place. The owner Dave is a great guy too.

The Vinyl Vault in Littleton is another great shop. I always find something I need in there.

8. action pact

Littleton has a record store...???

9. action pact

I stumbled upon that shop when I went to see the Sharon Jones movie at the theater down the hall. There's all sorts of interesting little artsy shops and studios in that place, it has a sort of steampunk vibe. Very cool.

I ventured up there once and didn't find anything I wanted, but I love visiting stores like that, out in the boondocks.

10. Vinyl Addict

Yes, 482 King St. in Littleton. It's right off 495
    Called the Vinyl Vault. Another cool shop, this one is owned by Greg (whom is friends with Dave from Vinyl Destination).

action pact likes this.
  11. action pact

Thanks for the tip! :edthumbs:

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  12. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I went to Blue Bag today. I'd have to say meh. I bought a few things, but mostly out of boredom. My impression is that they have a lackluster selection at occasionally inflated prices, and some inconsistencies, though I may have been there on an off day. The clerk kicked me out at one point because he had to temporarily close the store and "go up the street to pick up this guy's collection." That was a little disappointing.

13. pat mcgrath

pat mcgrath Forum Resident

And I confirm. We started moving records and bins in this week.16 Harvard Ave,Allston.

14. Danby Delight

Looking forward!

Although I'm sorry you're having to do this in the middle of the annual student invasion!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  15. pat mcgrath

pat mcgrath Forum Resident

Thanks. And to rednoise,weep no more!

16. action pact

He kicked a potential customer out so that he could do a buy? That's pretty dumb.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  17. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

I kind of like Stereo Jack's for their Jazz selection which is priced very fairly and sometimes way low IMO. I go there frequently to peruse their new arrivals section as I live not too far from Porter.

Need to check out the Vinyl Vault and Vinyl Destination.

Ridin'High and Vinyl Addict like this.
  18. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

Is Looney Tunes open now?

19. Danby Delight

I was wondering that myself.

Blue Bag was pretty packed this afternoon, to the point that I was having to guard my row from interlopers. Scored some goodies, including an Italian library music reissue.

20. Lebowski

Stopped into the Newbury Comics in Harvard Square last night (after striking out at Armageddon Shop). Was shocked at how expensive vinyl has become at Newbury. I mean, like insultingly expensive. Of course, most of it is new stock. The Norwood store at least has lots of used stuff, which makes it worth the trip (sometimes). The clerks were giving out little flyers featuring their current sale: Buy two pairs of socks, get one free! Seriously? Ugh.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  21. Vinyl Addict

In Tewksbury?

22. Vinyl Addict

Norwood is always worth the trip! For me, anyway. It's the best selection in the state that I have found.
    Where is the largest record shop in MA?

ARK likes this.
  23. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

No, in Boston. Per the owner, Pat, it was supposed to re-open soon...

I really liked Deja Vu records, went there last week. Need to head to Norwood one of these days.....the store in Newbury St. does not carry used records either.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  24. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Yeah, they've been selling at list or above for a while on new vinyl. The Bellingham store has a good selection of used vinyl for a smaller store.

ARK likes this.
  25. Lebowski

Are any Greater Boston-area members interested in organizing a group record shopping "field trip" or meet-up or group listening session of some kind?
    I don't know... too weird?? Seeing people in real life??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.