Bought A 4K - Answer 2 Questions For Me?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DennisF, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident Thread Starter

1. Did you have to upgrade to different HDMI cables?

2. Have you experienced blurring problems when watching sports (especially hockey and football)?

I ask because a Best Buy salesman said that some of the 4K models can be problematic with sports.

2. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

there are all types of LCD 4k TVs out there, it depends on what model you got,but the same things that make a good 1080 LCD make a Good 4k LCD ,stuff like HDR,Full array Back lighting ,you don't need a new HDMI cable

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

HDMI cables all yield the same image if they're functioning properly. They either work or they don't.

Trapper J likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not quite sure what you mean by blurring problems. Is it an upscaling problem. Is it a SD feed upscaled to UHD which looks soft? Or is it down to moving objects looking smeary or perhaps jerky?

Both are a function of your set. The first is down to the quality of the TV's upscaling engine. The second is likely related to which motion processing options you have set - things like frame interpolation which if set too high can lead the so-called Soap Opera Effect. Have a play around in that area of the TV's settings.

With respect to the HDMI cable, you may need to change it depending on what you have. The oldest spec is 1.4 which still supports UHD (4k) pictures, but is restricted to lower frame rates (24,30fps). That's ok for movies, but may not be good enough for sports which may need 50 or 60fps. So you need to check which HDMI standard your cable and TV interface supports.

The newer standard is HDMI 2.0 (and 2.0a) which boosts the bandwidth to easily cover 60fps as well as HDR content and >8 bits per pixel colors.

5. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

4k is such an immature technology; Why buy one now? You're best to tread lightly, if a Best Buy worker is giving you warnings. :sigh:

More on-topic, does your TV have a displayport port?

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

4k by itself is not immature, it's now almost the default. What is immature is HDR and enhanced (wide) color palettes. There are still competing versions of these features between different bodies and manufacturers.

7. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

1) NEVER listen to any sales person at Best Buy!

2) like everybody else has said, HMDI cables either work or they don't. They are all the same.

3) try messing with your settings. I've got a "judder" setting that affects blurring.

Could be a refresh rate issue? Are you going from a 120hz unit or higher, and this is possibly a 60hz TV... In which case I believe it would seem to blur a little more than your old unit, when it comes to fast moving images.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

In this case, he may be right, depending on which HDMI spec version the OP has.

Not true when it comes to latest developments and standards. Older HDMI specs don't have the bandwidth to cope with the latest A/V specs.

9. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Oh. Well then, I was unaware of this.
    I thought only the ports changes, not the cable requirements.

10. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Then again, the specified sports... If you're only finding blur with those sports, not movies or other fast moving programs, I'd question the feed.

11. DennisF

My thread title should say "IF You Bought A 4K - Answer 2 Questions For Me?". I haven't. Just looking. The blurring problem I heard about involved hockey sticks when a player is shooting and pom poms shaken by cheerleaders (for examples).

The HDMI cables I have are about 5 years old and work great with my Sony Bravia. It did cross my mind about waiting until the 4K format is more utilized by Direct TV.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Depends which gen you're talking about. The big jump was to 2.0 (from 1.4), which required cable changes. However, the latest version is 2.0a, but you can migrate from 2.0 without a cable change (wiring, plugs all the same) by just updating the firmware driver, as it's just a protocol tweak. 2.0a is also backwards compatible with the previous versions.

Trapper J likes this.
  13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I didn't realize that 4K would utilize a different kind of cable. Interesting to know.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, as I said, you can still use the older cables on 4k sets, it's just that it won't support higher framerates (ie, above 30fps).

chacha likes this.
  15. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Well I've heard of this "pom pom" thing. I've got a thread going in the last week or so, just bought a 4k, and in that thread I talk about the only issue in noticing with it so far.
    But over all, looks great to me. Haven't been watching any sports though. (and who watches the pom Poms anyway :D)

16. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

@DennisF the thread is over in the off topic, if you're interested.

17. DennisF

Thanks everyone. Burt, I will check out that thread.

Trapper J likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are only four kinds of HDMI cables:

High-speed with Ethernet
    High-speed without Ethernet
    Standard-speed with Ethernet
    Standard-speed without Ethernet

Chances are, the cables will still work just fine.

http://www.cnet.com/news/4k-hdmi-cables-are-nonsense/

SamS likes this.
  19. DennisF

That's really good to know.

20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Look into auto motion plus - you either have it or something similar. I set mine to off.

Trapper J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.