Bought a used technics 1200 mk2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by crazycuban, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazycuban

crazycuban Well-Known Member Thread Starter

it didn't come with a dustcover or headshell. I want to keep it oem as possible but not have to sell the farm sort of speak any suggestions ?

2. crazycuban

crazycuban Well-Known Member Thread Starter

also are there any books on the technics 1200 that anyone knows of

3. mled

mled Forum Resident

Tons of info at
    Turntable Forum - Vinyl Engine
    also check KABusa.com
    Generic version of the AT headshell is about $13, AT branded is about $20. Ortofon is pretty nice for $30ish. Unfortunately the genuine Technics HS are crazy money now at eBay/Amazon. The new dust cover for the current models SL-1200 G or GR are supposed to be the same as the old ones.

RubenH likes this.
  4. Nelson52

Nelson52 New Member

Popular model. Get it working and enjoy.

5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

There will be used and new Technics brand headshells on the auction site. But there are also copy clones that look and work exactly the same, they just don't have the Technics logo, for around $15 (from china) to $20 (shipped from US). Many of the replacement stylus sellers also will have an original Technics and/or a copy clone.

Here's the 1200MK2 Operation Manual, and the Service Manual, and the Service Manual Supplement for the "A" version (look on your back sticker to see if it says "1200MK2-A"). These files did NOT come from VE.

technics-sl-1200mk2.zip (6.23MB) - SendSpace.com

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    punkmusick likes this.
  6. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

JohnO likes this.
  7. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

great choice.

youtube removing spindle, for wiping, adding fresh oil. its very easy, wipe it off, get off the old oil off, add a few drops of fresh oil, and you will be good for quite a many years.

enjoy, you've made a great decision. i have had 2 of them for well over 30+ years. no problems at all, just i enjoy doing bi yearly maintenance. enjoy

BDC likes this.
  8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Congrats- nice TT.

9. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I picked up a 1200 mk5 yesterday locally following testing steps recommended on web sites and you tube videos. A machine that was one owner and only for home use-450$.. For now I can't use it until I build a small extension to my stereo rack, it's a little wide to fit in the space my old TT resides
    I'm pretty excited about the purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.