Bought CD Vs Needledrop CD-R ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by E.Baba, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's just been a looong time since i've really messed with audio. Had too many other things to deal with lately. The only things I have been doing is making an occasional needledrop and making comps. Right now, i'm remastering and expanding my 1976 comp.

2. Drexler_McStyles

Drexler_McStyles Active Member

See, the thing is; with Needledrops you can actually get rid of many of most hindering points of vinyl: surface noise, crackles and pops, etc. So for me a great rip can almost be better than the vinyl in some instances. At least for me.....

3. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Overall, I really do like the sound of my vinyl sourced CD-rs, but I can't say that vinyl always beats CDs. Honestly though, I can't think of many examples of where vinyl sounds worse.

Right now I'm listening to Everybody Wants Some by Van Halen and it blows away the regular CD.

4. Grant

+1:righton:

5. kap'n krunch

kap'n krunch Forum Resident

I agree-but getting rid of surface noise is tricky and it subtracts musical content when you do.

Now , I "archive" my LPs every time I play them. Pass them thru ClickRepair and just listen to its "cleaned up" 96/24 rip.
    I don't bother playing the LP again.

That's why , to me(as everything posted in this forum, even by its host-is only an opinion-do not try to read anything else into it-UNLESS it's accompanied by the words "It's a FACT that...") , CD version of analog recorded and mixed albums will never sound as good as its LP counterpart (unless the vinyl is damaged or it's a poor /old recording).

I recently "archived" Tears for Fears' "The seeds of love" and , when I "ClickRepair"-ed it , it came out pristine, it was only snaps and pops, no surface noise-I always monitor it at real time and catch the ones that the program misses.

6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

+2

7. George P

George P Notable Member

I guess I should have been more specific. When I say how close does a ND sound to the actual vinyl, I mean the actual music. Is it very close or is there a sizable difference?

8. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

That is a tricky question. I record at 24/96 and maintain a file that I play through my stereo and I make a 16/44.1 CD-r for use in my car and they both sound very close to the vinyl. BUT... I have needledrops that I did with a Stanton cartridge that sound very different than the needledrops I have done with my current Shure cartridge. That said, the CD-r will represent the sound of your turntable/cartridge combo.

9. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I would prefer if CD masters lived up to the potential of the medium, which should at the very least be equivalent to the potential of a needledrop.

10. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I quit buying CDs for this very reason.

11. Grant

Not the better software, and it depends on the degree of the application of the NR, and the skill of the user.

12. Grant

Depends on the factors I stated in my post above.

13. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

I think it would be hard to compare because lets say you listen to a record in a particular turntable with a particular cartridge/preamp and then you make a needledrop of that and listen with the same amp and speakers.
    The vinyl music signal went straight to the amp and speakers and the needledrop went to your soundcard then to the dvd or dac or other. The playback of that needledrop will add its own particularities to the sound making it different. So I think that no matter if you haven't edited the clicks and pops in the computer the sound will be different anyways. Maybe I have missed something but I think that how it would work. I'm not saying playing vinyl is the only way to go or anything like that, just that the difference will be there

14. Grant

It all depends on the transparency of your recording chain. The stuff made today, even on the consumer level, is far better than what it used to be.

15. kap'n krunch

kap'n krunch Forum Resident

All of the members that have pointed out the significance of the "sound" of your system , especially the cartridge/stylus combo, are absolutely right.
    Therefore the importance of having a decent stylus.
    I like doing transfers from SQ LPs to make conversions to DVD-A PCM 96/24 , and have found a HUUUUGE difference between an Ortofon OM-10 elliptical ($60?) to its almost thrice as expensive OM-20 nude elliptical ($169)...can't wait to get either the OM-30 or -40.

Also, the signal chain (as it has also been pointed out by others) does make a very big difference.
    To me, the sound from the turntable (of course, through the receiver) when I play the LP does not sound as "good" as the playback from the 96/24 rip.
    ADC / DAC "magic" I say....

16. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

I'll take one of my needledrops over a cd any time of day.

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It will depend on the resolution of the system, person's hearing, resolution of the needle dropped file and type of music.

In my experience 16/44 is not good enough for needle drops on a highly resolving headphone or speaker setup. This was only done with jazz which has more auditory spacial cues than studio rock music.

18. Grant

But, it that "good" a result of a purer signal, or a manipulation of it? Your post tells me that your receiver's phono stage could be a weak link, or your signal path from the TT to the converter is distorting the sound in some pleasing way.

19. Grant

What I do find is that, for many reissued CDs that I buy, the bass sounds a bit shaved off, in comparison to the vinyl.

20. DuffyMoon

DuffyMoon Forum Resident

That or the bass was enhanced on the vinyl? :D

21. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Doubtful since bass is often rolled off and summed to mono for LP cutting due to the nature of the format.

However, I've noticed the same thing as Grant. Bass often sounds much fuller and more natural on LP with a more realistic texture to the sound. It's often boosted on CD because that can be done, but the boost doesn't necessarily make it sound better. It's of course dependent more in mastering than anything else.

22. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

In comparison to the CDs, the Van Halen LPs I've heard always have much better bass and vocals.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Even the DCC?

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Because I'm too lazy to make the needledrop.

25. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Touche. The DCC CD is a shade better than the original US LP.

I was really referring to the point made by a couple of people that bass is the main benefit of vinyl in comparison to the CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.