Bought new phono stage.. Need cart ideas

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sportzdad, Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I just pulled the trigger and purchased a dynavector p75 (first gen) phono stage to replace the cheapie phono stage that I had. I'm very excited by this acquisition.

I bought my system a year ago and this is the first major purchase since the initial outlay. Most of my system was bought used to get more bang for the buck and I want to follow the phono stage up with a new cartridge.

System is as follows

Stock rega rp3 with rega cart
    Dynavector p75
    NAD M15 pre pro (using as stereo output only and for onboard DAC)
    ADCOM 5400 (probably replace next)
    Focal 727
    Sonos connect , for tidal (using digital output and feeding DAC on M15)
    Basic room treatments

My complaint with my system is that it is too sterile and harsh on the high end. Clinical may be another way to describe it.

I'm looking for a cart that will bring some warmth into the system. I would love to keep the budget around 500 on this, but I could go a bit more.

A dynavector 10x5 would fit the budget and might seem an obvious choice. I've heard one through a "entry level" all NAD system with vandersteen 2ci sig at my local Atlanta dealer and was very impressed, however I am worried it will do nothing to remove the harsh, sterile sound that I currently have. Is it worth spending for the 20x2l dynavector, I read it is smoother on the top end.

I've never heard a grado cart, but I'm told they are very smooth, warm and musical, which is what I want but I also hear they are problematic with rega tables.

Dennon? I know many here use them but I have no way to audition one.

I don't have an opportunity to audition many carts so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

I need more warmth and "musical"

I listen to jazz, mostly bop of all types. I listen to 50s and 60s lounge and earlier big bands. I play lots of female vocalists. Quite a bit of blues and Blues rock as well.

Thanks!

2. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I almost went with the 20X2L when I bought my 10x5. They were a lot closer in price then. I love the 10x5 but think I would have been done for a long time with the 20X2L.

Do it if you can.

3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

The Sumiko Blue Point EvoIII would be a nice choice as well.

4. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Denon DL-103.

5. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

I really don't think a new cartridge is going to help. I would look at the Focals & the Adcom as the problem.
    Rega carts are warm.

IanL, james and timztunz like this.
  6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

20x2L is the perfect match for preamp. I've had one matched with P75MKII for over 3 years. I'm trying to decide if I'm upgrading here are going to get another 20x2L and go another 3 years.

7. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Replace the amp....notoriously dry and sterile sounding. (I use one in my whole house distribution so not very critical listening) but I ran it on a second system for a while.

I would shoot for something from B&K - the ST-140 is known for a rich warm tube sound....and can be had for less than $200

timztunz likes this.
  8. BayouTiger

Well if the cart is the Rega Elys that comes with the RP3, almost anything would be an improvement. For me, that was easily my least favorite cart I have owned in the last 40 years. I truly disliked it immensely.

Rolltide and Bruce Burgess like this.
  9. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

What did you dislike about it? the OP is not happy because of sterile & harsh sound. It would help
    more if that was the reason you did not like it.

10. sportzdad

Yes, the amp is the next up for replacement.

I will probably have to live with the focals for another year.

11. BayouTiger

Sterile and harsh would be a good description, but add lousy tracking and horrendous IGD issues.

IanL and vinylvin like this.
  12. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

If I were you, I would seriously think about the Grado Reference Sonata 2. It is close to your budget, astounding on jazz recordings, sweet (more than warm) sounding and compatible with almost any phono pre. The 20x2L is clearly superior to any other cartridge quoted in this thread and THE perfect match for your phono pre. If you can really stretch your budget, I would say go for it .

13. sportzdad

Got the p75 today and have to say it made a huge difference, much of the harshness is gone. I still want a more warm sound, but it is no longer fatiguing after 20 minutes.

Have you used a grado cart on a rega TT? I believe it does convey they sound I want but I've read several times that grado and rega do not play nice

14. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I used a Reference Platinum 1 for one year, and still have it, on a Thorens 124 and connected to a McIntosh preamp. Never had any hum or noise problem with it, but I have no experience about pairing it with a Rega, sorry.

15. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I just went from the Elys 2 to the Ortofon 2M Bronze. What a massive improvement! The Elys has a nice tone, but it's as clear as mud. No detail at all. With the Ortofon, you can hear a lot more detail.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. IanL

IanL Senior Member

The 10x5 is a really nice cartridge. I really loved it. It is tricky though because it needs the perfect amount of gain, and I found that most MM phono stages were a poor match. However, you now have a Dynavector phono stage, so you can drive it perfectly.

I now have a 20x2L (with the same Dynavector phono preamp I had at the end of my time with the 10x5). The 20x2L is clearly a more refined cartridge. I would also describe it as very very neutral. The 10x5 is a little more exciting sounding, a little more "raw." Probably less neutral though. Not always quite as well behaved as it's more expensive sibling. Particularly with regard to tracking. But I always thought the 10x5 was a wonderful cartridge, and I would buy one again, particularly if I could get the gain perfect with a tubed phono-stage. I ran my 10x5 with the MM phono input of a McIntosh MX-110 (12AX7 Telefunkens) for a long time and although it was a little shy on gain for my taste, there was a definite vibe I loved with that combo. So that has me thinking a 10x5 with a tubed phono stage that allows for fine adjustments of gain (like the Dynavector phono stage does) would be the perfect match.

All this said, I think in your particular case, you will achieve your goals more effectively by looking at your amp/speaker combo. I have never owned gear from either Focal or Adcom, but I know from reputation that they are both on the opposite side of the sound spectrum from the warm and organic sound you are looking for. Good luck!

17. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Given that you bought a pre that was designed by Dynavector and meant for use with their cartridges I'd go with what you can afford in the Dyna line. They just keep getting better as you go up the food chain. I'm running an XX-2 but have loved the sound of the 10 and 20x cartridges too.

18. sportzdad

While the 10x5 is more comfortable for my budget, I'm going to seriously consider a 20x2l and delay a purchase for a month or two if I need to.

I really want to make the move to a lomc as it seems this phone stage really comes to life in its low output configuration.

Thank you for all the great input

19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think this is definitely the right move. Generally people who already own and enjoy Dynavector cartridges buy the P75 for its synergy with them. I don't think it would sound bad with non-DV cartridges, but assuring yourself of synergy is a wise choice.

20. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

I added a 20Xl2 when I purchased the P-75 MKIII a year ago. The combo will be worth the wait.

21. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Focal might not be your thing. I heard a $7,000 pair of Focal Electra 1028Be's on Parasound Halo gear at my local hifi shop and wasn't impressed. I like my 30+ year old Polk Audio speakers better. They were too forward for me.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

I second this leaning toward the amp. I've always felt Adcom were harsh. Might want to look at Emotiva, nice sounding, musical, fair price, American made. next up the speakers for sure, the Focal is generally nice and musical but not the 727. Keep your expectations in line until you replace the speakers, if you expect the cart to sound like it did with the Vandersteens your in for a let down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.