Bowers CM6 S2 vs. CM9 S2 - is there really a big enough difference?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

I've been reading a lot on this, since I have to opportunity to "upgrade" my CM6s to CM9s - quite a few reviews have commented on how good the tweeter on top construction is and of course the CM9 does not have this. Are the extra two woofers or mid-range (can't tell what they are honestly) worth the trade "up"? I do not have to opportunity unfortunately to actually test the CM9s at home since they are discontinued. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. I recently went from CM4s to 702 s2.

I realize this is no help to you but I’ve found a substantial difference and improvement.

McGuy likes this.
  3. McGuy

Yes, useless! :) kidding sort of. useless only because you went to an amazing speaker WITH the tweeter on top from a nice speaker that did not have that feature - so jealous of you! I love the 702s. And sort of on point though because you love the tweeter on top and I'd have to give that up to add two more woofers/mid-ranges that I'm not sure will really do all that much other than maybe more bass, which I don't feel I'm missing but might be. I could just add a sub but honestly, I've never felt the need for a sub for a music only setup.

4. But I also really enjoyed my CM4s since 2003 had them going strong till 6 months ago. I blasted the hell out of them.

McGuy likes this.
  5. McGuy

I am such a damn quandry here! I can get fantastic deal on the CM9 S2s for around $1300. I just have no idea if it's a real upgrade or lateral move, or even a downgrade. I hate this hobby sometimes. Maybe I should just go get an MC cart finally...slightly cheaper

6. McGuy

I'm guessing no one has gone through this exact situation. was hoping for someone to tell me to do it or not! :)

7. It will probably be a slightly different sound. B&Ws do have a sound I really like. Some don’t as much. They don’t get in the way of the music but I’m just really used to them.

Nobody can really tell you. Looks like a good deal. And there should be some improvement but sometimes we are initially disappoint because we were used to our old speaker sound.

Only you can tell

8. McGuy

yeah, I get it. What I really want is someone to just tell me to go for it and it will sound much better than my CM6 S2s, and yet no one is doing that! but of course they aren't, sound is subjective obviously and unfortunately, these will be used and coming from Alabama or some other A State, can't recall which, with no return option if i don't like them.

9. Go for. Buy some new music too and pour a few shots. It will sound better. :tiphat:

McGuy likes this.
  10. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I auditioned the CM-9 S2 and the CM-10 S2, and went with the C-10 S2. The 10's had a better overall sound, although the 9's were pretty solid.

I was impressed with how well the B&W's sounded overall, but was really blown away by how accurate the CM-10's were with cymbals and other higher frequency content.

Both CM-9 and CM-10 are discontinued and very favorable priced. If you can afford to spend more money, I would reach for the CM-10's.

hobbes4444 likes this.
  11. McGuy

Hard to find the 10s it seems. I’ve been looking, trust me! Or at least 10s I can afford.

12. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

13. McGuy

I saw that one. My sales guy from music direct came out to my house yesterday to diagnose a tt issue. He told me to stick with my CM6s, floor standers won’t give me any benefit with my space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.