Bowers & Wilkins 704 S2 - Anyone else hear these?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by George P, Nov 28, 2017.

1. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

And so it becomes a classic case of 'upgrade domino'... one upgrade leading to the next, and so on.

In this case I do agree with others that amplification will make all the difference in the world.

On the other hand, if I were you I'd still want to audition other brands of speakers. Even with your current AVR other speakers might 'click' where the B&W simply don't match.

One thing to remember is that B&W designs their speakers for high power, high quality amplification. In other words: Expensive. For me, that was the reason to quit B&W in the past as I wanted to be flexible in terms of amps, trying out 30W tube amps, 50W solid state amps etc.

punkmusick and DrZhivago like this.
  2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Actually I had already ordered a Parasound Halo 2.1 integrated. There was a truck drivers strike here that postponed the delivery probably to this week but it was ordered several days ago. The upgrade domino is going the other way around: since I bought a new amplifier I'm now trying new speakers. Too bad it didn't arrive yet. By the way, I bought a new amplifier because I bought a new phono stage, which I bought because I had bought a new cartridge, which I bought because I had bought a new turntable...

3. G B Kuipers

Ha ha! Cool! Sorry, missed that info. The Parasound should be a great amp for the B&Ws.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    wgriel and punkmusick like this.
  4. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I tend to agree. If you want to go the B&W route, be willing to upgrade to a high power/current amp AND preamp or integrated of course. Otherwise you will be left wondering what the fuss is about. I too have read up on Tube Amps and the brilliance of lower power tube amps but I have stayed away as I'm sure they will not match well with my power hungry speakers. And I don't want to switch my system, which would probably end up happening.

I'm eager to hear your impressions when paired with the Halo. Do you listen to CD's or digital also? The DAC in the Halo is supposed to be real high quality.

aarodynamic likes this.
  5. Bananas&blow

Mine went speakers -> CD player - > amp - > preamp -> phono preamp. And I'm sure the cart will be next.

Is the amp EVER going to get here? :)

6. punkmusick

Since yesterday, at about 70 hours, the 704 had improved in tonality. I heard them this morning, about 80 hours, and it was even better, but still too bright.

Fortunately, my Parasound Halo arrived today. I plugged it and immediately the brightness and the fatiguing harsh top end disappeared.

I played a little with speaker placement and the soundstage improved a lot too with the new amplifier. Really, the Denon was simply not enough for these speakers. Now I finally hear the same speakers I heard at the dealer.

I then plugged the old B&W to compare and the same thing happened: no detail, no treble, bass all over the place.

But the old speakers have some color that the new ones doesn't have. The 704 seems pale in comparison, probably more accurate. This may be good or bad depending on the tastes. I swapped the 2M Black for the Nagaoka MP-110 and it warmed up and colored the sound. Being used to old speakers with weak tweeters, I think I'd have to get used to the brand new modern speakers presentation. It's a totally different world. Now I prefer some records with the Nagaoka instead of the 2M Black.

Unfortunately I'll be traveling the next two days then I must return the speakers so won't have much time for further testing. I'm now strongly considering buying these speakers. Maybe I would prefer some warmer speakers if they exist but would have to buy them blindly (or "deafly") and I think it's too risky. Moreover, I believe there's a chance these speakers will still warm up a little as time goes by.

7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Was your old -Denon amp 4 ohm stable?

8. punkmusick

9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

punkmusick likes this.
  10. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

It looks to me like the AVR was probably struggling somewhat with the 704s. Which isn’t really surprising - they are surprisingly power hungry and really shine when you’ve got an amp with enough current for them.

SteelyNJ and punkmusick like this.
  11. Bananas&blow

Give the amp some time. Give the speakers more time. Leave the amp on. If you still aren't crazy about the sound, send those speakers back. If you don't like them after 100 hours, and it's still too bright, methinks they aren't a good match for your tastes. And there is nothing wrong with that. Lots of speaker options out there.

G B Kuipers, wgriel and punkmusick like this.
  12. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Good B&W dealers "run them in" before shipping, they shouldn't change after you get them.
    I've heard nearly all the high end B&Ws, and they just don't click with me, lacking emotion, a bit clinical.
    They always sound best with a very powerful power amp.
    I used to work for their no1 Nautilus dealer in the UK, I could get them at a silly price, I kept my Rogers.

punkmusick likes this.
  13. punkmusick

That's how I feel.

14. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've a pair of B&W 804N's and they sound magical combined with tube gear upstream. I had pretty much the same experience as you before when I had only solid state amplification but everything changed when I got my ARC LS17 linestage- the 804's are like made to be combined with tube gear. And yes, they are a bit power hungry and need some extra Watts to be able to deliver at their full capacity.

punkmusick likes this.
  15. G B Kuipers

If that's how you feel... I may sound a bit harsh, but I feel life's too short to listen to hifi that doesn't sound absolutely awesome.

I've tried to live with systems that I was not happy about in the past. I wish I moved on quicker and tried more different stuff to find something that really clicks.

mozz and punkmusick like this.
  16. punkmusick

In my experience it makes a lot of difference. Even if the 704 don't seem to be the speakers of my dreams, they're not harsh at all when powered by the Parasound Halo, only when powered by the Denon AVR.

17. punkmusick

I'd like to update.
    Having had more time with the Halo and the 704s and having played with turntable setup (this damn 2M Black is very demanding) and speakers placement, I'm enjoying them much more now with about 90 hours of play. I think even the tonality is getting smoother. Being out of town for a day might have helped too, I was probably too tired of clinical listening.

The dealer was here today. He also enjoyed much more the sound. He offered me to keep the speakers for the weekend for further testing with the Halo. He will also bring his 702 s2 tomorrow, and new cables, so I'll spend the weekend with both. It will be a fun weekend.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  18. punkmusick

Impressions are very good and getting better. For the first time in the last days I'm comfortable with the speakers listening to the music instead of analyzing them searching for shortcomings.

About the DAC, I have no experience with superior and expensive DACs, but I like very much the sound that comes from the Halo's DAC. I plugged my MacBook to the USB input of the Halo and played a couple of FLAC files ripped from CDs and Spotify Premium (320 kbps mp3) and I'm very satisfied. I'm so satisfied that I pretty much decided to buy a Chromecast Audio and a toslink cable so I can send digital music to the Halo through WiFi for those times when I don't wanna be changing sides or changing records. I'm also considering trying Tidal.

Echoes Myron, wgriel and timind like this.
  19. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Step up to the 800 series and see what you find. It's only $$$$

20. Bananas&blow

He seems to prefer new. As such going to the 800 series is quite a jump up in price.

wgriel likes this.
  21. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Yeah, I love the 800 series too, but the 704s fit my budget a lot better! A good friend has 802 D3s and they are magnificent, but given my budget realities I'm very content to enjoy the 700 series instead.

Bananas&blow, punkmusick and George P like this.
  22. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I would be upset if I shelled out 15,000$ and they wow me any more than my DIY speakers

23. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

700 series looks a lot better, too.

wgriel and George P like this.
  24. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

You could go for used speakers in the 800 series- you could make a good deal with an used pair of 804's. I've had my 804's for almost 20 years and they still perform like when they were new. A pair of used B&W Nautilus 804, 804S or 804D are all bargains these days IMHO...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Bananas&blow and Echoes Myron like this.
  25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Great point. Used 800 series speakers would be a great option.

My 805 D3s are basically speakers for life.

GyroSE likes this.