Bowers & Wilkins to release new speaker series?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vern, Sep 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

As best I can tell, over the years B&W has alternated between calling the line between the 600's and 800's the 700 series and various names involving a C? I've always considered the CM to be the "700s" even if named otherwise.

DrZhivago likes this.
  2. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

Sweet. I'll consider the HTM71 center to pair with my 804 D3's. Maybe even use the 705's as surrounds. I'll bet they would fit nicely with them.

3. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Yeah, at least in recent history that's been the case. Prior to the 700 series they had a couple of iterations of the CDM line, then went the the 700 designation. I'm guessing they did that to signify that the speakers were heir to trickle down tech from the 800. When they designed the CM series they lost the curved cabinet and the speakers didn't look anything like the 700 so I suppose it made sense to re-brand rather than call them 700 series 2 or whatever.

Now they've gone back to the 700 series designation, probably hoping that a "new" series will have more cachet than a new iteration of the CM line would, even though these speakers clearly look more like an evolved CM than an updated 700.

In any case, I'm looking forward to hearing these.

4. I paid around $3000 for my pair of CM4s in 2003 which would be around $4000 today. The new top end 700 series is $4500 per pair (floor standing) and looks like a huge improvement.

I've got a lot of mileage on mine and not sure of I would stay with B&Ws (i love their design and they pair well with my Rotel Gear) or really upgrade to a pair of something like ProAcs.

The look and design is always important to me.

5. Anyone know when these will be in US stores to audition ?

6. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Dealers should already have them. I know Best Buy/Magnolia stores have them.

Mazzy likes this.
  7. Thank you.

8. I just auditioned several of the new 700 speakers today. Primarily the high end floor standing $4500 pr . They have been in store for less than a week so obviously not burned in. B&W says around 70 hours. I've had my cm4s since 2003 and I recall they took awhile.

Initially they played some piano vocal stuff from tidal and I thought it was a bit brite but then I took control. Played some Nick Cave which sounded awesom and the Dead's Uncle Johns Band. Great test song because of acoustic guitars Phil's deep bass and vocals. Really enjoyed it. Then theconligTiry Dark Side, Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck. Pianos sounded awesome. The brightness I had heard on the previous boring pop recordings were gone on these tracks. Really nice. I also listened to a pair of 800s they had lined up $9000 a pair but actually preferred the 700 with the top tweeter. Forgot the #.

I also listened to the new high end bookshelf versions. Really surprised me and if I was in the market for a bookshelf I would definitely consider. $2500 or They had a good amount of bass for a small speaker. Full and spacious and rich. None were bi wired but mine at home are.

I will return with my own music. I don't stream and I'm not up on Tidal. Is it high Rez ? I Suspect that my vinyl will sound better too.

Listened to these through a Mac amp plus a Rotel that's a later version of what I own now .

wgriel, amgradmd and Eigenvector like this.
  9. China

10. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

The pricing of this new series is really attractive imo. I still haven't listened, but the 705 stand mount looks like it could be a real winner.

11. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

Hmmm, early days and I've been considering the purchase of a pair of 683 S2's for my Rotel components. Have heard them together and they sound great. Now I'll need to hear the 703 S2's and figure out if they're worth a little more than twice the price of what I can pay for the 683's. Kinda looking forward to the comparison, but kinda not!:sweating:

12. Still sniffing these speakers. Mostly the 702 S3s but because someone posted on another thread the pics of the KEF reference 3s I had to check them out.. I listened to a pair that sounded fabulous (I'd buy white ones) but of course the B&Ws list for $4500 pr and the KEFs $14K per pair- although I see them online for $10,400 shipped. Still a big difference.

Whatever I decide on, I want to shop local. Support a dealer and if I have issues can deal easily locally. I'm thinking whatever I get, this might be the last set of speakers I every buy. But who really knows.

So a question is, do most local dealers negotiate on prices of higher end products? Or at least these two levels of speakers? I never see B&W discounted online but these KEF seem to be available for less than MSRP.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. So nobody else has auditioned the new 700 series yet?

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  14. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Maz, my choice would absolutely be the B&W, it's just so classy, however, last speaker, you might want to pull out all stops!!! We only live once. I should mention, you have the best room possible, both up and down, how would these look upstairs, oh heck!! The 700 series is a keeper as well! :agree:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Echoes Myron and AaronW like this.
  15. Ha. But I hate how these look. Plus so out of scale for my room.

Eigenvector likes this.
  16. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I probably will later in the year. I'm pretty sure my local dealer has these by now.

I'm afraid to hear them though as I probably won't be able to come home without them. I haven't had my CM 10 S2's all that long. I'm sure the 702 S2's will be substantially better.... Where's that damn money tree when I need it?

17. I'm leaning towards the 702 s2. $4500 pr. My current ones are CM4s which I bought for $1500 in 2003. So $100 per year to use them was cheap. :tiphat:

I think I deserve an upgrade now.

Rolltide likes this.
  18. Eigenvector

Certainly can't fault your logic there! You've gotten your money's worth from your CM4's!

I've had my CM10 S2's less than a year and I really like them. I got a decent discount from my dealer but I'll still take a bath if I sell them and get the 702 S2's.

I promised myself that I was off the speaker merry-go-round after this purchase. That's why I'm afraid to hear the 702 S2's! It sounds like they fix the mild but audible colorations I hear in my CM10 S2's. I hear them but they really don't bother me. Once I hear them gone, I may have no choice......

19. How much were the cm 10s ? I don't even know. Just curious.

20. Eigenvector

MSRP $4000

21. But then my dilemna do I buy three more so they all match ? I have cm2 rears plus a center Chanel. All in maple and I'm going g towards white now.

Real world problems.

Wonder if I can deal on the full set. 15% off maybe ?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  22. Eigenvector

Oh yeah, they definitely all need to match! Especially in a room as impeccably decorated as yours!

I would think that 15% should be easy for your dealer to do based on what mine did for me.

Mazzy likes this.
  23. good to know. I fixed my typo. :tiphat:

Eigenvector likes this.
  24. Leaning towards this.

[​IMG]

25. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I auditioned them. 1st, let me say that I'm a bit disappointed with the quality of the rosenut finish. Quite frankly, it looks cheap, especially when you're going to be dropping over $4K for the 702 S2. The rosenut finish of the previous CM series looked a bit better and smoother. Not sure whether they're using a different grain of wood, but it looks different. The gloss black looks good as usual, but no one seems to have the white in stock. At least, I haven't seen them.

I listened to both the 705 S2 and 702 S2 as those are the only two models that interest me. The 705 S2 to me is the real bargain here (comparatively speaking). It's an imaging monster. If you have a moderate sized room and don't need the extra bass of the 702 S2, save yourself over 2 grand and get the 705 S2.

As an aside, the Magnolia I visited had an abysmal room. Speakers were tucked by the wall, placed right next to each other. I had to explain to the guy that he should pull them away from the wall. Then he wanted to use a slimline Marantz receiver with like 40 watts per channel for the demo. Had him hook it up to an integrated amp with a bit more power. Not sure what's happening at Best Buy Magnolia, but the staff there was absolutely clueless. The first person I spoke to didn't even know what Bowers & Wilkins was and had to verify with another employee about "Bowling and Willis" speakers. Yes, that's what he said. Visits like that make me appreciate real hifi shops.

Here's how they had the 702 S2 speakers before I had them pull them from the wood walls.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.