Bowie - Hunky Dory on Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CARPEYOLO, Feb 27, 2015.

1. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Last December I wrote:

Which, in summary says ; get the UK Bobil/Rasputin disc for sound, get the 1st US edition with sepia rear for the cover (with shrink wrap still present). Any other arrangement is a compromise in either original sound or original packaging.

In the last month or so, with the kind assistance of Daddy Dom who supplied a hi-res scan, and a simple re-examination the following have come to light:

• The RCA UK edition lyric sheet (and the reissues that are based on that - EMI 100 and Parlophone) are missing the "?" in "Life on Mars?", listing the title as "Life on Mars". This has come about as the UK lyric sheet is completely reset - created from scratch - not only are the 'tear out' shapes of each song different, the actual type face has some differences as well.

2. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

New gold edition is ok

3. Jaro120_78

Jaro120_78 New Member

Hi Guys

Another confused Hunky Dory owner. I have been doing a little online research and this is what I own.... please could you help me rate it

tamped run-out side A etched side B on Matt labels

Non Laminated.
    Orange labels on vinyl.
    Lyric sheet included.
    GEM logo on reverse side
    Titanic and Chrysalis noted
    No Mainman
    SF8244 LSP4623 under VICTOR logo on front

Rear cover you can see faint ghosting behind RCA LIMITED, RECORD DIVISION unsure as to all the information but you can read what looks like CLEARANCE - 5VP a two other words
    Also ghosted you can make out 5/LSP4823 on second line to the far left

Below © 1971 RCA LIMITED in the same area you can make out TKM(S) © BY RCA CORPORATION © 1971 ROA RECORDS NEW YORK NY PRINTED IN US
    also on the right hand side bottom corner behind the large RCA logo you can make out the ghost of a much smaller RCA logo
    • Matrix / Runout (A): APRS 5947-2E (stamped) A1AU (etched)
    • Matrix / Runout (B all etched): APRS 5948-3E A1E (etched)
    I can't find BOBIL or RASPUTIN on the run out though

I'm not sure what I have here. Be good to get your thoughts
    Thanks

4. Jaro120_78

Jaro120_78 New Member

Hang on....Just found MainMan on the orange labels

Not sure if that makes a difference

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It does, it's a sign that you own a post-"Ziggy" "Hunky Dory". Maybe from 1973/4?

6. Jaro120_78

Jaro120_78 New Member

Ok that makes sense... I had a feeling it was a reissue

Thank you for your help.

7. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

not really a re-issue, it was in almost continuous press for many years, it is just a slightly later pressing thats all.

8. Jaro120_78

Jaro120_78 New Member

Oh ok... that's good to know. Thank you for clarifying :)

9. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

Found an orange label rca a few years ago in a box of records at a flea market. Paid a dollar. Cover was a little rough but the vinyl was in excellent condition. Great sounding record.

10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

On my lunch break I found a mint-looking US orange label Hunky Dory. Stamped in deadwax is APRS 5948 2S/5947 4S and an "IV" stamped a little ways away in the deadwax.

I'm assuming this is a fairly early pressing?

ODShowtime likes this.
  11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

If I mark the deadwax code you supplied there and choose Search Google, guess what:
    David Bowie - Hunky Dory

12. Jerry

I'm horrible at reading matrix info. I don't see a 2S or 4S together. But I assume it's maybe the one I highlighted? And how early a release would this be? (Thanks!)

• Matrix / Runout (Side A stamped runout, variant 1): APRS 5947 6S A2 I
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B stamped runout, variant 1): APRS 5948 2S A5 I
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A stamped runout, variant 2): APRS 5947 4S I A2
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B stamped runout, variant 2): APRS 5948 2S I A4
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A label): APRS-5947
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B label): APRS-5948

porotikos likes this.
  13. Jerry

I thought my WG RCA CD of Hunk Dory was my best sounding version. This vinyl copy (APRS 5948 2S/5947 4S IV) just passed it in the left lane.

14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

As expected!:uhhuh:

Jerry likes this.
  15. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Hello Guys,

Does anyone have Italian pressing cut by Piero Mannuci ? Beautiful pressing. Great dynamic and exceptional stereophonic image. Very detailed. A lot of softness on the acoustics and the strings. David Bowie's piano and voice are distinct. Piero Mannuci is a great Italian engineer. His cut of Lou Reed's Transformer is exactly in the same vein as his version of Hunky Dory. Great. I also think it was he who cut the re-release of the famous soundtrack of Ennio Morricone: The good the bad and the ugly. Grandiose!

GyroSE, Munger74, dee and 1 other person like this.
  16. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

It seems like an early Indianapolis pressing- the cover - textured? rear sepia? - if so then first edition cover.

Jerry, wait till you hear this one then - it'll be more like "what lane?, we're on the runway, we're flying"

UK RCA SF 8244 David Bowie - Hunky Dory

the same disc is also in :
    David Bowie - Hunky Dory
    David Bowie - Hunky Dory
    David Bowie - Hunky Dory

The common factor is the Bobil /Rasputin in the runout.

I've said it before on this forum, I was so surprised to hear the difference between the US (Hollywood, Indianapolis and Rockaway) editions and this particular first UK mastering. On the US the piano sounds muted, on the UK it's a real piano (same piano as Hey Jude).

Best wishes for your travels.

Do you have the above UK cut, and if so, how do they compare (specifically the piano on side 1)?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Echoes Myron, Briskit and Jerry like this.
  17. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Hello cmcintyre,

Alas no because a copy in mint condition is very expensive. Especially for this masterpiece, extremely delicate. In any case, it is precisely the predominance of the piano on this wonderful Italian pressing that made me re-discover the album! I have at your disposal the rip of this album, digitized with a cell Dynavector 10X05 in High definition 24/96. Send me a personal message and I will be happy to send you the file. This will give you an idea about the quality of Piero Mannuci's mastering.

Christophe

18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Just lucked upon an early A1B/A1A Rockaway Dynaflex. Incredible sound! Like jawdropping amazingly good...

19. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

having read all hunky dory vinyl pressing, threads in here, i have a question.
    if i had to choose between a uk green label hunky, and the dutch one (David Bowie - Hunky Dory )
    what would be the most wise decision soundwise?
    and bwtween thsese 2 pressing, does this german one, come close? David Bowie - Hunky Dory
    anyone done any a/b? thank you

20. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

A minefield Porotikos ! Obviously a 1st issue Hunky Dory is the best, but I think that the Green International label is just as good and very clear, I have 2 of these, but i don't have a Dutch Hunky , so I can't compare, the German I've heard and is not quite the range of the green label.

porotikos likes this.
  21. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

Thank you my dear friend. i missed on a great oportunity to get a mint green label yesterday for 12 pounds. i was banging my head on the wall. but i wasnt that sure at the time if i should get a green one...

Mikewest likes this.
  22. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

More headaches with this record, well the lyric sheets. I have an extra lyric sheet and would you believe it’s small than the others , not “12” but just over “11” this has NOT been shortened as the margins all look correct.
    Any ideas anyone, BTW , I have a non Bobil but looks like a 1st issue ( no Mainman on labels or cover ) for sale , again any idea on this one ?..

23. zenarrow

zenarrow Forum Resident

All this info is crossing my positronic pathways .... I am going into mental freeze out.

24. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Just did a comparison between the 2015 Parlophone vinyl and the 1983 RCA International that I have. The RCA was the more enjoyable listen.

GyroSE and Mikewest like this.
  25. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Solace
    You are dead right, the green Hunky Dorys and indeed Diamond Dogs and Heroes are spot on and as good as the Orange labels, if you want a cheaper alternative, also some have these have Bob Hill ( Bobil ) markings in the wax .