Bowie - Hunky Dory on Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CARPEYOLO, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I got lucky in a charity shop a couple of years ago. An incredible (beyond incredible!) collection came in a shop I looked in regularly and I was in the right place at the right time. Got a VĢ+ condition laminated UK Hunky Dory, with Gem credit on rear sleeve for £2 along with loads of other rare UK orig vinyl from around 1966 - 1975. Haven't had much since though! I think it was a once in a lifetime record collecting moment.

2. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

oh wow....:drool:

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A really good day. I've had many, many trips to charity shops looking through real rubbish though, just like a lot of people. The great thing about this shop in particular is the man who priced up the vinyl is one of the nicest people I've ever met. He loved seeing records go to good owners who appreciated them. Nothing went on eBay. Loads of UK charity shops have no vinyl or massively overprice it now. Sadly the one I got Hunky Dory from has closed. Off the top of my head there was also:

Fresh Cream - Reaction mono
    Picturesque Matchstickable Messages from The Status Quo - Pye mono
    From Genesis To Revelation - very early 70's pressing with laminated sleeve, boxed Decca label with insert
    First 3 Band LPs
    Dylan 1st, Freewheelin', Another Side Of, Highway 61, Bringing It All..., Nashville Skyline - all late 60's pressings - orange CBS label with laminated sleeves
    Neil Young - Zuma & Tonights The Night with inners & inserts
    Led Zep III plum label proper 1st press with 'Peter Grant' credit
    Who - Quadrophenia 1st press with intact booklet.

So good. Some of my most treasured records. Still blows me away to think about it! There was about 300 LPs. All under £5. Mostly £2-3. But only that one Bowie album. Perhaps the previous owner went off him when he started wearing make up!

Rickchick, Cassius and muffmasterh like this.
  4. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Picked up a NM copy of Hunky Dory, US 1st pressing, 5S/6S for $35. Not bad I think...

5. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Hi all,

I know there are about a thousand threads on this particular LP, but I haven't been able to confirm the exact LP I own (I've found many that come close, but then one number is off). I'm a very, very casual collector and not up on all the terminology. I thought at first it was pretty valuable, but the prices I'm seeing today are all over the place.

I found it today in deep storage while looking for a Bauhaus picture disc to show a friend. I already have a copy so I'm not even sure where this came from. I used to grab anything Bowie from used shops if the price was good, so maybe I was really lucky with this one.

RCA
    Printed in USA
    LSP-4623 (APRS-5947 side1/APRS-5948 side 2)
    5/LSP4623 is printed in the lower lefthand corner of the back sleeve
    Green front textured cover (not the laminated one)
    Sepia back cover
    Lyrics, etc., printed on the inner sleeve
    "A Gem Production" on the back cover
    Not shrink-wrapped, so I don't know about the original sticker. No album or artist name on front cover.
    Black border
    All dates are 1971

Fortunately, the album was in heavy plastic and the record looks as though it has never been played, so both look to be in excellent condition.

Any info would be great. It would be fun to know the approximate worth, but I don't intend to sell.

Thank you.

6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I can only assume it has an orange colored label on the disc, which is the 1st U.S. press.
    Unless it's tan or black: I think tan label is second press and may have the same cat.#, black would be third and have a different cat.#.
    You didn't say what color the label was.

7. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Definitely a once in a lifetime record collecting moment! Never had that kind of luck although picked up a few nice LPs here and there from charity shops, including Hunky Dory and Ziggy.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Yes, label is orange.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Was certainly a good one. Things are sparse now though! I got a great Jerry Lee Lewis LP - Live At Star Club, about a month ago from a charity, but aside from that, which is superb, I've had nothing for months. Something will turn up soon...

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Seems like you have a nice record there.

11. APH

APH Forum Resident

I was in a record shop and heard an employee tell his friend that they sent someone out to trawl charity shops four days a week.
    I was in the Salvation Army shop, and saw the guy who works at Oxfam buying records to resell in his shop.

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There isn't an Oxfam shop where I live. Thank goodness. Fine cause but the shops are a rip off. Plenty of vile overpricing. I'm always happy to give a charity a fair price, but not be ripped off. I have priced up the vinyl in a few charity shops in the past, including Oxfam. I always priced them so that the buyer got a good deal, but they weren't being given away. Stuff priced to sell, not staying on the racks for ages overpriced, annoying the customers who want it.

13. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it's a US first issue but without the shrink and sticker i wouldn't value it any higher than $50. with shrink and sticker $75, still sealed upwards of $125.

Tanx and Dino like this.
  14. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

How is the one from the boxset? are they going to reissue that as a stand alone?

15. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

they already have. it's fine if you don't mind digital and that some inherent noises have been cleaned up.

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I would leave off buying any Bowie till the madness dies down. Ebay sellers asking £40 for RCA Ints reissues and £750 for originals. On that basis you are likely going to pay £100s for the EMI 100 at the present (if one comes up). In my view it's the best I have heard but just live with the current reissue until prices settle down. I'm beginning to think that the vinyl revival is not a great thing considering the awful condition some of these high priced items are in. All BIN instead of proper auctions which would find a correct price depending on demand. Are people stupid enough to buy this stuff?

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

I guess I will just try to find a Japan for US CD. Maybe I could afford that.

18. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

yes, they are. deep pockets and panic buying have temporarily ripped up the price guide. it's no exaggeration to say some items are selling for twenty times their usual price.

19. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

not the best choice IMO. the WG edition is superior, but the current remaster does its best to replicate it. again, the digital clean-up bothers me but most won't notice.

20. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Good to know. It's not going anywhere, but it was still a thrill to find!

21. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Luckily, I found a copy of the EMI 100 Hunky Dory last summer for a fairly reasonable price. I've seen it go for triple what I paid for it since he died. My wife loves it too, so I'll never part with it! You're right, used vinyl prices are out of control and have been for a few years.

22. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the EMI100 to the UK first press (3T, Bobil in the dead wax) that is fetching such high prices?

23. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

I recently purchased an EMI100 pressing of Hunky Dory and have to agree with the other comments above. I rank it above my UK first press, which is also quite good and has been my playing copy for years. The EMI100 is more detailed and warmer. A superb pressing.

GyroSE, Mondie and Leviethan like this.
  24. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Back in the day (early 80s) I bought two copies that both had exactly the same scratch/glitch at the end of Changes. Disappointed! Anyone else come across this? I think I still have it.

MoonPanda likes this.
  25. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident

Do you have advice on how to identify a UK 1st pressing of Hunky Dory?