Bowie LET’S DANCE Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Strange timing seeing as it will be on the next box set (assuming there is one) albeit in standard form.

3. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

Do you have a source for this? As villiers terrace pointed out, it would be strange timing indeed.

4. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

When and what will the track listing be

5. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I think this is the 'source'
    David Bowie Official on Twitter

It's probably the next box set though

crispi and jlf like this.
  6. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Seems highly speculative and unlikely given the current box set series. Care to elaborate?

7. shadow blaster

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Next box set won't be announced for months, if the previous ones are any indication. A 35th anniversary set for LD early next year is more likely to be out first — many candidates for bonus tracks, video formats, etc. which fall outside the purview of album reissue+Re:Call boxes

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Robert C and TonyCzar like this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Given the wealth of his 80’s material I’d be more tempted to go with this one rather than the upcoming box.

10. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I’m not certain there will be a 4th Bowie box, at least not just covering the 80s albums.

Aside from hardcore fans, who would pay around £100 for those albums?

11. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I like Let's Dance and the Tonight album.
    I'll get my coat...:tiphat:

12. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

Thanks. Emphasizing Nile Rodgers' guitar like that might hint at tracks documenting the recording sessions...but it's all pure speculation at this point.

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

This is what I thought when I saw this thread's title.

jl151080 likes this.
  14. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

No worries. I will always have a soft spot for Let's Dance since it was my first DB album. Still like the production, unlike so many albums from the Eighties it has bottom end!I feel it falls a bit short songwise, though. It's got the three big singles right at the start but not much else IMO. And they should have included the much better soundtrack version of "Putting out Fire".

Jarleboy, ramdom and enro99 like this.
  15. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I'd be in on an 80s box - IF NLMD's track listing gets properly restored and the bonus material is alright (no expert on potential 80s remixes by Bowie, I just like his output from those years despite the bad rep it often gets) :wiggle:

16. shadow blaster

I wouldn't really see the point of releasing a deluxe set of LD in early 2018, then reissuing it again a few months later as part of the fourth box set. Makes little sense. But who knows about Parlophone's strategy?

aphexj likes this.
  17. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

Christopher B and OldSoul like this.
  18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I don't think today's snippet is a demo but I could be wrong
    There is good stuff on both, but they are definitely weaker in the context of his previous output. Hopefully a deluxe version sheds more light on the production methods behind Let's Dance

enro99 likes this.
  19. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

it's the demo, wait and see

20. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Of course there will be. All the press for the sets so far call it 'an ongoing series'.

And Let's Dance is one of his most popular albums.

21. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Still waiting for Low.

NunoBento, Plan9, andrewskyDE and 2 others like this.
  22. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

You'd not only be surprised, you'd be incredulous.

Never Let Me Down, such as it is, remains one of his best selling albums. Let's Dance is still considered a classic. There's also the Labyrinth thing to consider, and that movie wasn't just successful, it's still got a devoted following.

We're also looking at a generational shift with this box. Old school Bowie geeks tend to view this era with scorn, but it was a full on commercial juggernaut that left a huge impression on a generation that's now comfortably in middle age, which is of course a powerful demographic for stuff like this in general, not just Bowie.

There are people...a LOT of people...whose dominant image of Bowie isn't the Thin White Duke, or Ziggy Stardust. It's the Goblin King from Labyrinth, and we've sold a lot more of that recent (vinyl) reissue than we have any one Bowie reissue at my store. People like us tend to be unaware of those who prefer this era, not just because they skew somewhat younger, but because the older fans are so down on this period. Who wants to discuss music when you're going to get invaded by people 10-20 years older than you talking about how much it all sucks?

I'm not making any predictions, but I would not be shocked to discover that the next box outsells the previous two, at least.

23. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

My Bowie collection ends after Let's Dance and picks back up with The Next Day, so in a weird way I'm really looking forward to the (hopefully) fourth box. Of course I'd pick up a deluxe version of Let's Dance too, decisions, decisions.

qtrules likes this.
  24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Don't wait any longer, it's been out for 40 years!

25. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I didn’t say the the albums won’t be reissued - of course they will.

Just speculating that perhaps the format of the reissues could change.

Let’s Dance is the obvious draw as a successful album. Other than the that, I don’t see there’s a big draw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.