Bowie LET’S DANCE Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I hate to break it to anyone, but there's a strong chance that this box will contain a large percentage of Glass Spider tour recordings.

2. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Never say never. Don't forget the Deluxe series that went from Ziggy to Station To Station and two major career retrospectives appearing within two years of each other.
    Things have been haphazard since the EMI/Virgin remasters.

3. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

SRV touches on the Bowie "BS" here...

4. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

Nothing to do with box set series, just a 35th anniversary release with demos , outtakes and remixes

jlf and e.s. like this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

A Let's Dance 35th Anniversary standalone set won't. Only three songs from it on the Glass Spider setlists

MadMelMon likes this.
  6. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I grew up with Let’s Dance and still love it. I have the entire db catalog and would put it in my top 10. Interested in a deluxe if it has a 5.1 remix and the Serious Moonlight concert video. Not so interested in 12” mixes or a straight remaster. The original still sounds great to me.

Cat People, jlf and pobbard like this.
  7. davers

davers Forum Resident

I hear Stevie Ray Vaughan all over Let's Dance. Add Nile Rodgers to the mix and it's one of the coolest sounding records ever produced.

Stevie Ray is featured throughout with tasty - but not over the top - leads. Even his rhythm work paired with Nile Rodgers' funk sound is genius to my ears.

8. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Anything is possible I guess. I'm in if the set includes a full Serious Moonlight concert.

Christopher B and Cat People like this.
  9. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I recall an interview early in his career where SRV was talking about not joining the tour. He said Bowie had offered him scale wages, the same pay as every one else on the tour.
    He said "If I'm going to make no money, then I'm going to go out and make no money promoting my own product". It was then that Double Trouble set out on their own tour.

Christopher B and ribonucleic like this.
  10. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Hope it has the Serious Moonlight film with the original quadraphonic surround soundtrack! :)

11. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I hope so as well. I would love to see a live release from the Serious Moonlight tour. First and only time I saw him live.

12. nick jones

Now i know, Bowie fans don't like studio outtakes and demos, they prefer reissues of the old albums with nothing extra or **** live albums that we already got in bootlegs.Rykodisc was wrong when released rare material

Christopher B likes this.
  13. sunking101

I hate bonus tracks tacked onto the end of the original album. Give me two or more discs if adding rarities etc. Demos are a novelty I'll play once but decent live stuff is very welcome.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  14. nick jones

yes, rare tracks and demos are just welcome when shared in small groups of rich guys, not shared with general public

15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I'm curious about this. It was released on laserdisc with a MATRIXED quad mix (ie. stereo encoded with surround info)? Is it significantly different from the 5.1 surround tracks later included with the official DVD release of the same film?

16. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

same.

ccbarr likes this.
  17. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I haven't heard the 5.1 to be able to compare.

18. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m guessing if there’s anything announced it will be on his birthday?

e.s. likes this.
  19. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

would Tin Machine get included in an 80s box?

20. sunking101

Who knows? You could say it's doubtful due to not being solo Bowie, but then he did spend a large part of the 80s doing Tin Machine...

Christopher B likes this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The entire SRV bailing on the tour story seems a bit strange. One would think the details of the agreement would have been ironed out and agreed to by both parties prior to SRV rehearsing with the band. It makes no sense that the day the touring band was allegedly supposed to depart, SRV is presented with a scale wage agreement along with Double Trouble not being granted an opening slot on the tour. Those things would have been arranged well in advance. So, again, the timing of the story seems very off. Perhaps SRV was given verbal assurances from Bowie that he would be well paid and that his band would receive some opening slots, but later, Bowie's management reneged on the deal. Either way, it seems that both Bowie's and SRV's management fumbled the deal, with both artists rekindling their friendship years later and coming to an understanding over the whole ordeal. That said, it would have been cool seeing SRV play lead guitar on that tour.

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Does anyone think this box set is going to include anything more? I will be surprised if it is more than a remaster, the 12" remixes, the album in 5.1, and the Serious Moonlight concert video.

23. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

What did you think about SRV's playing on some of those rehearsals with Bowie for the tour? I remember one song, Space Oddity, where his blues guitar playing didn't sound right for the music.

Conversely, Earl Slick, whose name is synonomous with "fantastic live guitar with David Bowie," sounded especially demonic on that tour, especially on Cat People, where Slick came to the fore, dancing and dealing death on lead guitar like a King Cobra released for a brief moment.

Tingman likes this.
  24. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

About ten years ago, there was talk of a stand-alone, complete Tin Machine box. I'd be thrilled if this proved to be the case. I thought the Tin Machine-era was great and there are plenty of demos and live material in the vaults that could be released.

25. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

The debut album was out in May 1989, so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.