Bowie LET’S DANCE Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Exactly, nothing to do with a box set. It’s going to be a deluxe Let’s Dance reissue.

2. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

HIGHLY doubtful. There's more than enough 1983-88 material to fill an 80s box to the requisite 13LP length - the same number of albums as the first three boxes. If they included 'Tin Machine' which had absolutely nothing to do with 80s Bowie other than being a reaction/antidote to it, then what should they leave off the 80s box to make room?

A 'Serious Moonlight' live album? (an important inclusion and a big selling point for the box since it hasn't yet been released otherwise)
    The 'Glass Spider' tour live album?
    The completed but unreleased 'Dance' album?
    The requisite (every box so far has had one) remixed album? (and NLMD desperately needs a remix)
    The Recall discs?

Osato likes this.
  3. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

There is a new Demo of Let's Dance up on Spotify and iTunes.

TonyCzar likes this.
  4. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Holy hell! The clarity in which the kick drum and guitar interact with each other on this mix is amazingly funky!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Eric Weinraub and gsmile like this.
  5. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

... So is this demo it or are we getting a deluxe boxed set for Let's Dance LP?

6. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

There's a really creepy vibe to Ricochet, with the walkie talkie vocals and weird stop/start chorus, not to mention those horns. And Shake It has that too-much-coke vibe that simultaneously plagued and lifted 80s dance pop.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I would have been more interested in the Loving the Alien demo as Bowie often used it as a defense of the Tonight album (ie how the demo was much better than what appeared on the album). Just listened to the Let's Dance demo and.... meh, who cares?

oldturkey likes this.
  8. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

To my surprise, this demo sounds MORE like Chic than the LP cut!

ashlee5, jimjim, oldturkey and 2 others like this.
  9. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

10. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

11. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

i think that's your lot

12. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I over slept this morning and only woke up during the music news (I have a dab radio clock as I sleep through regular alarms, only good music wakes me up!) and heard Nile talking about the demo followed by a playing of it. What a great way to wake up! I reckon we might get a physical version for rsd if past form is anything to go by

13. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

I always considered Young Americans/Let´s Dance/Black Tie White Noise somehow a trilogy, these albums complemeting each other.

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Probably, yes as they have taken Bowie's philosophy of not giving fans too much to the extreme. But of course New York will make up for that with its next officially proclaimed David Bowie Day fast approaching ... rumour has it this year might be even bigger than last :winkgrin:.
    Good thing the V&A exhibition is on its way there and it looks like the rest of us will have to wait till some of us will get in line for RSD.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

The above quote speaks for itself. No wonder record companies are reluctant when it comes to issuing archive material...

jamesc, Tingman and Cat People like this.
  16. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I liked it, but they also played a clip of a more folky, possibly even Hunky Doryesque version. I’d have been more interested in hearing the full version of that.

17. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Check this out instead, around 4000 times more worthy of your time and ears than that demo.

GLYNSTYLER and bobdylansbarber like this.
  18. All for today, but it would appear there were a group of demos recorded around the same time, I would wager they'll appear in time for a some sort of 'deluxe' reissue of LD later in the year.

19. powissquare

powissquare Forum Resident

That was really interesting hearing that this morning. Quite a change from that version to the demo version and subsequent complete version.

BBC Radio 6 Music - Shaun Keaveny, Earworms Please
    Around 40 mins in.

20. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I'm glad it has been released, but hearing it just confirms to me that it's one of his worst ever songs. I like Chic and I like Bowie, so I'm trying to rationalise why I dislike it so much. I just find it a bit plain and boring I suppose - not my cup of tea, though I always find demos very interesting. I hope the folk version gets a release.
    Good to hear Bowie sounding alive at the end. IMO just a bit of a let down as a follow-up to Scary Monsters - no more Teenage Wildlife standard for me until 1.Outside.

Ludger and bobdylansbarber like this.
  21. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

Nile is appealing to find out who the 2nd guitarist and drummer are as he can't remember. My guess is that they're both Erdal Kizilcay. He was Bowie's one man band for the 1988 remake of Look Back In Anger and the entire Buddha of Suburbia LP. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowie brought him along for a bit on spontaneous demoing with Rodgers.

Also interesting to note how it long it took Rodgers to mix this last year. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more mixed at the same time, like others have said maybe a Let's Dance demos collection for this year's RSD?

Solace and jlf like this.
  22. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

The demo is interesting enough, but hardly essential IMO. Will still be interesting to see if they really will release LD deluxe and a box set containing the very same album in the same year. I fail to see the business logic, but then what do I know....? :shrug:

pobbard likes this.
  23. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Indeed it is Erdal Kizilcay as he stated in a post on SuperDeLuxeEdition.com

leoconsole likes this.
  24. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

Aha! Brilliant!

25. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Yes, he says: "Hey Guys, yes it was me Nile and David who did the Demos in Montruex, and it was in 1982.
    Actually, first we have played Labyrinths Demos, then came let’s Dance and some others I can’t remember now."

Surely he must be misremembering here? Labyrinth demos in 1982?

scobb and leoconsole like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.