Bowie's most glorious vocal performances - join in and be specific

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by footprintsinthesand, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Probably the only reason I ever paid attention to Bowie in the first place:

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Not a big fan of this album:hide: but I agree with you on the My Death performance. It's totally mesmerizing and the phrasing is perfect :love:

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  3. NightGoatToCairo

The Phoenix Festival show from 1996 had Bowie on fantastic form. Many may find his voice bombastic, but from "Heroes" through to Moonage Daydream is a vocal tour de force for me.

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

No need to hide under the chair, I don't think that the show was all that brilliant either. My favourite part is "The Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud"/"All The Young Dudes" but apart from that the show sounds a little too contrived. It's as if David is trying too hard and Rono messes up a few solos and generally goes over the top and out of control. Maybe they were nervous about the occasion (the film crew, Jagger in the audience, the final show of the tour,...). The contrived aspect was even worse at The Marquee for the 1980 Floor Show where David took the whole androgeny thing a bit too far and it became ridiculously grotesque. I much prefer the earlier incarnations of Ziggy and it's a pity that not much of him was caught on film and multi-track (thank God for Santa Monica 72!).

5. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I don't find it particularly more "contrived" than anything else during the Ziggy era, I just think the Spiders weren't having a very good night. They don't seem in sync or grooving together very well. Ronson isn't playing at his best and his guitar is uncomfortably out of tune for much of the show. Maybe, as you say, they were nervous for any number of possible reasons. And last, but far from least, the recording is flawed in ways that accentuate the band's flaws (I mean, what planet is the bloody piano on??) But despite all that I think David is in excellent voice here.

My favorite part of the show is also the "Wild-Eyed Boy" medley. David sings the heck out of it and the band is right there with him.

I'm pretty certain that Santa Monica 72 isn't multi-tracked. Every version I've ever heard sounds like the same mix I heard broadcast on the radio when it originally aired (I remember that well - it blew my fragile teenage mind away!)

6. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

This, this, a thousand times this

7. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Wild is the Wind

Joe Paul likes this.
  8. NightGoatToCairo

I just think the mix/sound is poor whether it's the soundboard original from Robin Mayhew, the 83 mix or later Visconti mix from 2003.
    Totally agree regarding 1980 Floor Show.
    I'm not a fan of Santa Monica either!

Anyway, something positive, Ziggy from Glastonbury. Again, Bowie may be a bit bombastic for purists of the original version but the band are tight, Bowie sounds magnificent and I think this version is fantastic

9. NightGoatToCairo

And how could I forget the Five Years / Soul Love / Star segment from Stage. Bowie's vocal is sublime.

10. NightGoatToCairo

I'm not familiar with many shows from the Ziggy tour. Do you have any favourite dates that I can check out? I have access to *cough* that kind of stuff I can find myself.

11. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Have really enjoyed listening to this thread.

12. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

There is an out-take of "Moonage Daydream" that is really drums-heavy and starts off missing the first verses ("I'm an alligator..."). Bowie belts it out like it's a bar-room tune and he's singing along with his friends, it's really great to hear.

13. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Bro here is a funny one.[​IMG] [​IMG] Lol! When I was young I saw this and laughed.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. mr.steelydan

mr.steelydan Forum Resident

His cover of "It's hard to be a saint in the city". Case closed.
    In this song his voice travels along all registers possible. Check out 2:10 - 3:00 - isn't that one fantastic minute of pure vocal performance?

15. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

One of the top vocal moments ever.

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I had Stay in my buds this morning--he sings the whole chorus down low (ahem), but without a breath, he's able to go way up an octave and sing "or do something'. I don't consider Bowie a technically great singer, but he can be a very emotional one, you get the fear in his voice when he sings 'we only smelt the gas as we laid down to sleep'. Yipe!

17. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Peace On Earth

18. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

The album version of Ashes to Ashes for me.

19. NightGoatToCairo

I had to google those lyrics :oops: I guess I never listen to that album!

20. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I know it is generally maligned, and I'm no fan of Brian Wilson, but Bowie's cover of God Only Knows is sublime. My favorite vocal of a career's worth of genius vocals.

21. geogaddi83

geogaddi83 Forum Resident

"A Small Plot of Land" from Outside always sent chills down my spine. Especially the "Swings through the tunnels" part near the end.

22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I like the Ambient stuff he did with Eno on Low and Heroes.
    Sometimes few (awesome) vocal pieces are flowing in, 'Subterraneans' for example.
    "Shirley, Shirley, Shirley, Ownnnn........"

oldturkey and Johnny Rocker like this.
  23. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Ziggy did play guitar, but where were the spiders?[​IMG]

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Me too. The Basquiat OST alternate version is also fantastic. I always find it somewhat amusing Brian Eno has this "ambient music twinkler cum knob twiddler" aura in a lot of the media, when he's actually created and been heavily involved with some of the most sinister, even malevolent sounding music of the past 50 years: The Great Pretender, An Index of Metals, Ambient 4:On Land, Broken Head, Sense of Doubt, and A Small Plot of Land, to name a few fab examples.

oldturkey and geogaddi83 like this.
  25. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1 Thread Starter

Erinnerung An Die Marie A. (Remembering Marie A) should be added. It's just so lovely

But what her face was like, I know no longer...

BlueSpeedway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.