Box sets that didn't disappoint

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redeemer, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

2. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Are you talking about the Small Faces? Didn't think the Faces had a mono box set. Or is it something that has nothing to do with the Faces?

3. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Monkees sets are definitely up there!

And I'm sure at the time, the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations" box was momentous, especially for the wealth of Smile material.

FJFP likes this.
  4. davers

davers Forum Resident

Agreed, nice Simple Minds collection. I think it's long out of print so probably not a bargain price anymore.

DTK likes this.
  5. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I was saying that the 4 disc, 81 song Reprise set from 1990 isn't bad for the casual fan.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

An interesting mix!!

Oh Yes We Can Love: The History Of Glam Rock...
    Disc: 1
    1. Mad Dogs And Englishmen - Noël Coward
    2. Around And Around - Chuck Berry
    3. Ooh My Soul - Little Richard
    4. Brand New Cadillac - Vince Taylor & Ses Play-Boys
    5. Gurney Slade - Max Harris
    6. Bee-Bom - Anthony Newley
    7. Jealousy - Billy Fury
    8. You'll Be Mine - Howlin' Wolf
    9. Amsterdam - Jacques Brel
    10. I'm Waiting For The Man - The Velvet Underground, Nico
    11. London, Bye, Ta Ta - David Bowie
    12. 1969 - The Stooges
    13. Lola - The Kinks
    14. Neanderthal Man - Hotlegs
    15. Burundi Black - Burundi Black
    16. Back Street Luv - Curved Air
    17. Charity Ball - Fanny
    18. Magpie - The Murgatroyd Band
    19. Son Of My Father - Chicory Tip
    20. Hot Love - T. Rex
    21. Coz I Luv You - Slade

Disc: 2
    1. All The Young Dudes - Mott The Hoople
    2. Walk On The Wild Side - Lou Reed
    3. Virginia Plain - Roxy Music
    4. Metal Guru - T. Rex
    5. Crazy Horses - The Osmonds
    6. Andy Warhol - Dana Gillespie
    7. Can The Can - Suzi Quatro
    8. Looking For A Kiss - The New York Dolls
    9. This Flight Tonight - Nazareth
    10. Ballroom Blitz - Sweet
    11. Dance With The Devil - Cozy Powell
    12. Rock On - David Essex
    13. Angel Fingers (A Teen Ballad) - Wizzard
    14. Bennie And The Jets - Elton John
    15. Dancin' (On a Saturday Night) - Barry Blue
    16. My Coo Ca Choo - Alvin Stardust
    17. The Man Who Sold The World - Lulu
    18. Growing Up And I'm Fine - Mick Ronson
    19. Judy Teen - Cockney Rebel

Disc: 3
    1. This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us - Sparks
    2. Tell Him - Hello
    3. Tiger Feet - Mud
    4. Bish Bash Bosh - The Jook
    5. The 'In' Crowd - Bryan Ferry
    6. Piss Factory - Patti Smith
    7. Tumbling Down - Cockney Rebel
    8. Angel Face - Glitter Band
    9. The Bump - Kenny
    10. Sugar Baby Love - The Rubettes
    11. Only You Can - Fox
    12. Rock And Roll All Nite - Kiss
    13. A Glass Of Champagne - Sailor
    14. Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Album Version) - Ian Hunter
    15. I Love Rock 'N' Roll - The Arrows
    16. Saturday Night - Bay City Rollers, Bill Martin, Phil Coulter

Disc: 4
    1. Rip Her To Shreds - Blondie
    2. Ships In The Night - Be-Bop Deluxe
    3. Cherry Bomb - The Runaways
    4. Rockaria! - Jeff Lynne
    5. Sheena Is A Punk Rocker - Ramones
    6. The Crunch - Rah Band
    7. OK? - Rock Follies
    8. Rockwrok - Ultravox!
    9. New York Groove - Ace Frehley
    10. Take On The World - Judas Priest
    11. Rasputin - Boney M.
    12. Valley Of The Dolls - Generation X
    13. Rock 'N' Roll / Night Clubbing - The Human League
    14. The Light Pours Out Of Me - Magazine
    15. Antmusic - Adam & The Ants
    16. Solid Gold Easy Action - Department S
    17. Ziggy Stardust - Bauhaus
    18. That's The Way (I Like It) - Dead Or Alive

Disc: 5
    1. Love Missile F1-11 - Sigue Sigue Sputnik
    2. Up Around The Bend - Hanoi Rocks
    3. Emma - The Sisters Of Mercy
    4. Glamorous Glue - Morrissey
    5. Metal Mickey - Suede
    6. Glam-Racket - The Fall
    7. Glam Rock Cops - Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine
    8. Everybody Up! - The Glam Metal Detectives
    9. Star - Saint Etienne
    10. The S.A.S. And The Glam That Goes With It - Earl Brutus
    11. To Earth With Love - Gay Dad
    12. The Dope Show - Marilyn Manson
    13. We Are The Boys - Pulp
    14. Growing On Me - The Darkness
    15. Strict Machine - Goldfrapp
    16. Clamour For Glamour - The Ark
    17. Unstoppable - Foxy Shazam

[​IMG]

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Another one of those 'politically correct' anthologies that leaves out Gary Glitter. It's lucky Thomas Edison was such a clean skin or we'd all be walking around in darkness :D

8. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

The Columbia/Legacy series of Miles Davis Complete Sessions CD metal box sets, particularly Bitches Brew, Silent Way, Miles & Coltrane, Jack Johnson and On the Corner.

Also, these 1970s collections of 1962 von Karajan recordings. $5 each box at Half Price Books, not a pop or a skip on any of them. Somebody's loss. I felt guilty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    notesofachord and Imagine70 like this.
  9. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Just shelled out for Elvis That's The Way It Is Deluxe 8 CD 2 DVD box, it's a great set, the sound quality is astonishing, haven't done a side by side with all the other versions I own (there's a lot) but it really is first-rate as a stand alone. Nice book too with some great pics, the discs are housed in easy in/out pockets and the whole thing fits into a neat slip case. Picked it up from Amazon for a shade over £70 which I thought was fairly reasonable.

Richard--W likes this.
  10. Didn't!
    Both highlighted:
    Original quad mix D5
    &
    original pre-Christmas '72 album mix D6.

Should have a thread on Alan!!

11. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

The Fall - Peel Sessions
    Cinerama - Peel Sessions
    The Wedding Present - Peel Sessions
    Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks

12. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

[​IMG]

Jean-Luc Ponty - "The Atlantic Years" Wonderful sound

Jim N. likes this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah, I checked on Discogs, and the median was about times three the original prize...

14. Do the Zep super deluxe editions count? Page treated each album like a work of art.

King Crimson Starless and Road to Red sets are the gold standard for box sets imo.

I have the Pink Floyd Early Years set and I'm very pleased with it. Loads of great content, and you can tell that a lot of love went into it.

15. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Hi is Clapton's Crossroads box on vinyl worthy? I mean soundwise. Thanks, Adam

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

17. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

goes great with the 5 guys box

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  19. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

I don't know if the releases in the XTC Surround Series officially count as box sets, but so far each one of them is everything a box set should be [I'm looking at you, The Who]. Demos, outtakes, rehearsals, alternate mixes, 5.1 mixes from Steven Wilson. All on two discs [one a bluray, admittedly]. No unnecessary bloatware. Sensibly priced.
    As far as I'm concerned, the XTC releases are at the very top of the tree.

Otherwise:

Small Faces: The Immediate Years
    - It was ridiculously expensive, and it was ridiculously hard to obtain if you lived in the UK. There isn't much to it in terms of musical content either, but what there is, is sublime. Since I got it, I haven't regretted it one bit and I return to it often. The session notes in the book alone are a goldmine of information for an info-freak like me [such a shame the associated reissues didn't include this kind of detail].
    Faces: Five Guys Walk Into A Bar...
    - It should more correctly have been titled Five Blokes Stagger Out Of A Pub, but this little beauty has set the gold standard for box sets since it's release. It has everything: live cuts, BBC sessions, rehearsals and rarities, and to top that off it also serves as a 'best of' album sampler. And yet for all that, it never outstays it's welcome. For all it's expanse it's still concise, and it's sensitively [and sensibly] compiled by the late great [and sorely-missed] Ian McLagan.
    Faces: You Can Make Me Dance, Sing Or Anything
    - Coupled with the above, this is all the Faces you need [until they finally release some vintage Ronnie Lane-era live material].
    The Pretty Things: Bouquets From A Cloudy Sky
    - You'll probably get the most out of this set if you don't already own their back catalogue on CD [Myself I only had the 1967-70 period albums, so buying this box was a no-brainer for me], but even so, the documentary, the rarities CDs and the very handsome book are pretty much worth the price of admission on their own. It's a shame they didn't include the full live 1969 broadcast from Amsterdam instead of just a couple of songs, but you can't have everything. Apparently.
    The Kinks: The Anthology 1964-1971
    - Again, this set works as a greatest hits package while containing enough rare and new material to be of interest beyond. In fact many of the unique mixes here aren't even listed as such!
    The Velvet Underground: The Complete Matrix Tapes
    - Do I need to explain?
    Siouxsie And The Banshees: At The BBC
    Siouxsie And The Banshees: Downside Up

- I don't know if this is a controversial opinion or not, but to my mind many of The Banshees' best moments happened on the flipside of whatever single they had out at the time. 'Downside Up', a treasure trove of all these B-sides, is what I consider to be the true 'Best of' Banshees compilation. To this day though, I don't own a physical copy of this set. At the time it was released I was in dire financial straits and by the time I was solvent again it was deleted. I had to procure a virtual copy and was fortunate enough to find a FLAC version that also included decent scans of the booklet. Even so, if the actual physical object was made available again tomorrow, I'd snap it up in a nanosecond. The 'forthcoming' 'definitive' Banshees box set may or may not contain any or all of the material on 'Downside Up', but I'm not holding my breath. Quite why all the B-sides never found their way onto the recent reissues of their respective albums I don't know - it's not like there wasn't enough room for them...
    Robyn Hitchcock: I Wanna Go Backwards: BlackSnakeDiamondRole/I Often Dream Of Trains/Eye/While Thatcher Mauled Britain [rare, live & unreleased]
    Robyn Hitchcock: Luminous Groove: Fegmania/Gotta Let This Hen Out/Element Of Light/A Bad Case Of History [rare, live & unreleased]
    - Two retrospective five-CD sets from the former leader of The Soft Boys, each including three expanded reissues of classic LPs coupled with two exclusive rarities CDs. I Wanna Go Backwards covers Hitchcock's post-Soft Boys solo output from 1981 to 1990, while Luminous Groove covers the output of his band The Egyptians between 1985-1994 [with a bit of a major label gap in the middle].
    A couple of significant omissions that make both sets less than complete overviews: 'Backwards' contains no trace of 1982's Groovy Decay LP [not surprising as Hitchcock himself has all but disowned it] while 'Luminous' understandably skips over the Egyptians' run of A&M releases from 1988-93. Both sets are indispensible however, as some of Hitchcock's finest songs are hidden away on those exclusive rarities CDs. And having had it on tape since 1988, I really, really wish Robyn would release the full gig that the live version of 'Dr Sticky' on 'Thatcher' has been lifted from. As for the A&M releases, there's easily enough material there for another set of comparable size and scope to these two. Just saying, A&M [or whoever owns you this week].

There are plenty of other box sets I've enjoyed, but I've probably bored you enough for now.

P.S: Oh, and for the sake of completeness, the Pink Floyd Early Years box. There's a lot wrong with it [such as 'Seabirds'-Gate], but there's also a great deal about it that's right.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  20. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Always nice to discover a Vandermark/DKV fan here. I need to ask you how your boxed set discs showed up. I was so disappointed with this I wanted to just toss the thing, after being very excited to dig into this set. The inner sleeves have interior glued flaps that deposited glue on all 7 discs to varying degrees, some very bad. We worked on them for an hour trying to clean them and finally, after nothing mild worked we had to turn to alcohol pads and even then it was difficult to remove the glue. Did your set have this problem? Maybe check them out if you have not. I want to contact the label about it.

21. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

22. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

The Police: Message in a Box. Every album plus outtakes.
    Citizen Steely Dan. Every album, 1972-1980, plus outtakes.

Disappointing box sets:
    ELO: Afterglow...nothing from Xanadu
    Steve Winwood: The Finer Things...no "GO" studio tracks, limited material from Roll with It

23. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I thought this was a really good one; a fantastic overview of British psychedelia with some obscure names as well as some bigger-names like The Who, The Animals, Traffic, Small Faces, etc.
    [​IMG]

24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

As a huge Glam fan since the beginning I would say this is probably one of the worst box sets ever released.
    I could have knocked up a better track listing than this pile of rubbish in 10 minutes, and I suspect so could most glam fans.

Former Scientist likes this.
  25. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

So you're saying Noel Coward, Bauhaus, Magazine and Lulu....aren't glam?? But....surely, you can't argue about Anthony Newley and Jacques Brel??

Joking aside, that is just a very, very random collection of tracks....

Clark V Kauffman and bob60 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.