Bozak B302a speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by normo, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. normo

normo New Member Thread Starter

Finally got a pair of these, moorish style. The shipping processs broke off the bottom molding and feet but I can fix that. I have read the long prior bozak post which was incrediblyl helpful but could someone kind of simplying the path to audio nirvana for me. Do I redo the x-overs, coat the surrounds, check the speakers to see if they are in phase? I have read that Pat Tobin is the "expert", and has been helpful to the other posters. Can you send stuff to him? Any suggestions on how to procede? I don't want to lose the "vintage" mid range magic but these must be 40+ yrs old and since I just got them I would like to get them right. Thanks in advance. Norm

2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Hi Norm - I started the thread you mention. IN a nutshell:

1) Pat does modify crossovers if you wanted to go that route (you can arrange to send them to him...but the work is very simple and I'd encourage you to do it yourself with his guidance)

2) Yes you need to modify the crossovers in my opinion - I liked mine better with the lower crossover point down at 400 Hz but kept the upper point at 2500 Hz after fuzting around there for awhile. But you need to get the antiquated cap box out of there no matter what you do.

3) Yes you need to check to make sure the drivers are in phase...one of my pair was wired out of phase at the factory!

4) You will not lose the vintage midrange magic by doing these things. They sounded rather muffled and dead to me before getting the out of date caps out of there and correcting the issues with the crossover. Wonderful after, still very "vintage" though (in a good way).

5) I don't believe you need to do anything with coating the surrounds - I didn't and there was no audible problem, but check with Pat. He's really the best single source, I just tried to publicize that and the speakers with my thread.

And have fun - I think you'll really like these! :righton: I now run Tannoy 15" Concentric Golds as my speakers for various reasons and overall I prefer them slightly, but the Bozaks had perhaps the most realistic sounding bass of any speaker I've ever heard.

Tony

3. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Here's my pair of B-302A's, "Modern" style? I wish to sell them, if interested,C pics

My pair of Bozak B-302A loudspeakers. Stone-Stock as far as I know... Pretty neat but I don't use these anymore, I wish to sell them now. If anyone is interested in buying, write me. I will now accept $200.00 only to Fourm members, the pair for a local Southern California pick-up sale only, these are large and heavy, and would be a colossal hassle to ship. Let me know. Rolf E.

4. normo

Tony, thank you so much for responding. Your previous thread was quite interesting. I am hoping to try to do the work myself. I will email Mr. Tobin and see what will happen. Once again, I appreciate all the work you did in trying to optimize your Bozaks, it gives me inspiration to try. Norm

5. normo

Tony, one more thing if I may. You had talked about hanging a"curtain" part way inside the cabinet. Any pictures of that? Thanks again. Norm

6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

No pics normo, but it was literally just one of those rolled cotton rag throw rugs (I got mine at Ace Hardware), stapled to the top of the enclosure at the midway point.

7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Here's a drawing from Bozak that Pat Tobin shared with me showing how the cotton "curtain" should sit in the enclosure:

8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Sorry here's the drawing.

Attached Files:

9. normo

Thank you for the info. I am going to open them up tonight and see what things look like inside. Really, can't say enough to you and others who help out total strangers. Some things are good about this world! Norm

10. Pat Tobin

Pat Tobin New Member

And finally...here comes Pat Tobin! Sorry guys; I have been off the list for a few months. Yes, I did the engineering on the badly-needed upgrade to the Bozak crossovers. Many, many satisfied users to date.

Tks to Dr. J for passing the word along.

Questions: Rattle my cage at: [email protected]

11. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Pat's xovers helped my CG's, and also had a banana plug wire to taylor the high freq..3 settings I believe.

12. koolcar57

koolcar57 New Member

Bozak 301's

Running a vertical stack of 301's, quite impressive, however the midrange is a bit "hollow" or dark colored especially w/ male voices. Anyone try tweaking these X-overs or cabinets?

13. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.