2016 Paul McCartney compilation album - "Pure McCartney" *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KaptKopter, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That has to be a mistake in the booklet.

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

It's always been mono.

3. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I had never noticed that. I thought the whole Wild Life LP were in stereo.

4. 5th-beatle

No mistake, there is an asterisk on the OBI strip as well indicating Bip Bop is in mono.

5. slane

slane Forum Resident

It is... except for 'Bip Bop'.

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Paul knew "Bip Bop" in stereo would blow too many minds, so he had to tame it with a mono mix. ;)

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Or he felt the song was so powerful that it needed a punchy mono mix?

8. OK. Didn't know Bio Bop was in mono. I know that Paul said that Alan Parsons had so little time to mix the album that Paul was amazed he was able to do the balance (ie, stereo mix).

9. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Glad you received it but can you soon post regarding the SQ since these are SHM CDs? Have you also heard the non SHM Pure CDs in comparison?

Is it the same exact book style packaging and do the discs have inner protective sleeves?

10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Parsons probably just said "sod it" when it came to BipBop. " no one will ever listen to it anyway "

ohnothimagen likes this.
  11. 5th-beatle

Listening to tracks from "Press" and "London Town". They sound great, but I haven't got the non-SHM discs to compare.

It was a relief to see none of the SHM-CDs have a single scratch, probably thanks to the inner round sleeves (plastic on the front, rice paper on the back) protecting the discs from sliding across the surface of the page sleeves.

It's a hardcover book (manufactured in China) that is probably just like the ones from other countries. The only differences are the OBI (which cover the whole back of the book) and the extra booklet with lyrics to all tracks.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    rstamberg and Futurecity like this.
  12. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

He couldn't mix it in stereo because whenever he tried listening to the song he found himself weeping uncontrollably over its beauty.

13. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

The mind boggles with the thought of "Bip" coming out of the left speaker and "Bop" coming out of the left speaker. We couldn't take it's awesomeness, but we have guidance.

The wise man taught us in his lyrics : "Take me hair and curlers, but treat me like a man"

Words to live by. :p

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  14. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

I'm digging this set

15. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

Didn't realize that Good Times Coming was such a good song. I remember skipping over that one but it seems to have aged well to my ears

16. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I’ve immersed myself in Pure over the last couple of weeks—the CD has rarely been off my (metaphorical) turntable—and I’m definitely gonna dig a little deeper and poke around a bit. Here’s my thinking of the run of albums I will purchase over the next few weeks (I already had Band on the Run):

1. Ram—no-brainer

2. Venus and Mars—loved the cover as a kid (and the title), and always intrigued. This track is an edit, right? It feels like a whole chunk of narrative has been unceremoniously zapped.

Question: is the full version only available on the original album?

3. A live album—now I need your help: Wings over America, Unplugged or other?

4. Chaos and Creation—seems like the most well-reviewed “recent” work; though I do really like all the tracks from New.

Any thoughts? Is there a more efficient way of mopping up some of the stuff that was left off of Pure that folks agree should have been on there?

17. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Venus And Mars - Yes it's an edit on Pure, and you would get the full version on the (wonderful) album. Don't hesitate to buy!

If you want the full "Macca stadium/arena concert experience" then Wings Over America sees him at his peak. If you want something with a few more Beatles tunes on it, then look for either Tripping The Live Fantastic or Back In The US (or the rest of the world alternative Back In The World). Unplugged is something entirely different, and is a laid-back acoustic intimate show with a more varied track listing, still well worth a listen!

Chaos And Creation is a very good album, minus any real rockers, which showed Macca still had all his song writing skills intact. Highly recommended. The following album Memory Almost Full is another highlight (some may not agree) though the production is awful (most will agree!)

18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It is indeed an edit of Venus and Mars/Rock Show. And the full thing is only on the album.

I'd recommend Wings Over America for a live album. But Unplugged is very good too! His other live albums are good as well, but these are probably the best and most interesting of the bunch.

McCartney and Tug Of War are very strong albums too. McCartney is fairly sparse, but also his most Beatley as far as I'm concerned. It's very back-to-square-one, before he blossoms with RAM. Flaming Pie is well regarded among his latter albums, but also pretty heavily covered on PURE.

Many of the above titles (McCartney, Ram, Venus & Mars, Wings Over America, Tug Of War, and even Band On The Run which you own) are available in the Archive series with bonus tracks. Venus & Mars in particular has a healthy smattering of bonus cuts, although RAM and Tug Of War also have very strong bonus discs as well. All three feature essential singles & b-sides along with outtakes. The others are interesting but comparatively inconsequential.

Honestly, your plan sounds like a good one! As someone with virtually all of Paul's work (one live album and one classical still to go), Pure would do little for me, but obviously it has done wonders for you!

theMess, OobuJoobu and streetlegal like this.
  19. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Curiosity gets the better of me, which 2 albums have you left until last? (I just ordered "Ocean's Kingdom" CD online last night. I think that's everything for me then, apart from the debatable-whether-it's-part-of-his-discography "The Family Way" soundtrack (just waiting for the right price!)

theMess likes this.
  20. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Question - does Another Day sound better on the Ram Archive set compared to how it sounds on Pure? I think the bass guitar is bumped up too much on Pure but is there a difference in SQ for this song?

21. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

If there is a difference, it might just be the volume level altered on Pure to match the rest of the songs on that disc. It's the same mastering as on the Archive set.

22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Working Classical and Back In The US. And I'm in no rush to necessarily get them. All signs indicate that Paul has another album on the way, but eventually there will be an end, and I don't relish the idea to "complete" my collection. It'd be a bittersweet. Heck, I still have a Ringo album and a George album to go (two George albums if you count the remixed Bangladesh, but although I do plan on getting it, it's not the same as not having the album at all.) I already bought Tripping The Live this year (in anticipation of the upcoming Flowers archive) and perhaps will wait another year before getting another title.

that's just how the song was mixed

Another Day (Paul McCartney song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

theMess, streetlegal and OobuJoobu like this.
  23. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Also the Fireman albums Rushes and Electric Arguments two of his best records....

Cloudbuster and theMess like this.
  24. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Disagree. "Fine Line" and "Promise To You Girl" are great rockers. They may not be heavy but they're up tempo and have a drive to them.

Wingsfan2012 and theMess like this.
  25. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Not sure I'd recommend those two to someone who only has Band on the Run and wants to dig deeper into the catalog. They're hardly representative.

@streetlegal, this list, diligently compiled by data guru @mrjinks from his recent extensive forum polling pretty accurately summarizes the forum consensus on each McCartney / Wings etc album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.