Brand new Sunburst Electric Archtop guitar for sale! Take a look...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

God you're killing me!

My ex-girlfriend Clair Marlo also went to Berklee in Boston. I think she granulated in 81 or something. She loved it there...

2. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Sorry Steve about all the guitar stuff, but truly those were average going prices for those guitars at the times for a used guitar. However the guitars I got to see and play during my years there as well as being around some of the greats that were friends of some of my teachers. It was a veritable Who's Who and that's sort of like an understatement coming from me. I had some very good classmates that went on to be very lucky as they were at the right place at the right time and got some great gigs. My all time favorite as I was always one to hang with drummer's as they all seemed to love me because of my impeccable time. Even when they lost it I always knew where 1 or the downbeat was. But my second year there I made good friends with this young drummer from the mid-west, he was not well versed in actual musical harmony but he had great chops he was a little to loud for my liking at the time but he had soon learned to mellow and played rather well in his first semester. He was basically a big band type of drummer. The guy I am speaking of his name is John Robinson. Gee he didn't become to famous or nothing did he. I actually remember in the cold evenings we would go to the Prudential Center and inside there was a Brigham's Ice Cream restaurant and I'd help him with all his homework and we'd sit there in front of this 50's style Jude box and put in money and sing in harmony to all the oldies that were on this Old Wurlitzer. I remember one night the management had come over to the table we used to sit at which was by the Juke Box and they asked us if they could take a picture of us, so we said yes, and they gave us a large COKE in one of those big 50's style type glasses with Coca-Cola written on it and the most delicious tasting crinkle cut French fries. We were happy as pigs in ****. Great times I did have and great people I was always around both students and teacher's alike. Boy I could name some big names of people that I had the pleasure to play with and enjoy their company as well. The cool thing is all my teacher's were mostly famous big time and yet they were as down to earth as all hell. Then their were a few of some of my fellow students who I thought were their to just waste time and man they fooled me as they are also pretty famous today in the music biz~

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

BT,
    Any idea what a Gibson Southern Jumbo Acoustic Sunburst I believe made between 1965-67? is worth?

4. Michael

Steve, Do you have any Martins?

5. Beatle Terr

WOW this is post 100 for me here!!! COOL!!!! Thanks Michael for letting me answer this but I can't unless you can clarify this first. By asking about a Gibson Southern Jumbo Guitar are you also referring to a J-200 model?

6. Michael

Glad I can be of assistance on your 100th posting!
    Nope,not an SJ...It's called a Southern Jumbo! Has the same Drednaught shape as a Martin D (D-28) Series...There are pictures on the web of this guitar but I can't post any!!! Darn...The serial numbers first few digits are....320 (behind Top Headstock)

7. Beatle Terr

Well if you can find that pic on the web of the guitar send me the link and I will gladly check it out for you.
    The year of the guitar that you said was 65-66, if this is so I just would like to say that popular models of that time period, were Gibsons J-45 the J-160E which in my opinion was basically the same guitar as the J-45 only with the pickup and volume and tone controls on it. Then you'd find that most popular was the Gibson Hummingbird and the Gibson Dove now although Gibson always referred to this 2 guitars as being Dreadnaught sized you can't really compare them to what I would call Martin Guitars type of D series or Dreadnaught size and shape. The Gibsons I would say had a slightly larger bottom bout than your Martin shaped Dreadnaught. So in the case of a Southern Jumbo both the top and front bout's are larger than a Martin D-18 or D-28 series models. I used to have a D-45 the one with all the fancy abalone inlays around the body and sound hole as well as the inlays in the Ebony Fingerboard from the 1st fret on down. Pretty guitar, but I just love my Gibson Hummingbird and the sound as well as the real wide and flat neck.

8. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Nice looking basses on the site, inexpensive as well. Which color violin to pick, decisions...decisions...

9. Michael

OMG! The Martin D-45 has been my dream guitar since the late 60's!! I have a Martin D-28...It's a dream guitar as far as sound...Truly amazing! It has thousands upon thousands hours of play time on it. That contributes much to the sound quality...When you pluck a note it goes on forever...When did you get rid of the D-45!!! How much and what year was it? I'll look for a pic and (hopefully) post the addy so you can check it out...

10. Beatle Terr

I bought the D-45 right after my wife and I got our 1st apartment so it had to have been made around 1977-78. I guess it just didn't sound as good as my Hummingbird especially when I was recording with it when it was miked. For playing just nice open sounding rhythms it seemed to lack the bass end that the Hummingbird has. Don't get me wrong loved the guitar just the sight of all that inlay work was breath taking. If I'd kept it boy that one would sure be worth a lot more than what I paid for it at the time. Actually I was sorry I didn't buy a D-28 as I think it had the warmer sound I was looking for. I guess it was coming from all my other fancy Gibson inlaid guitars that I had owned is what made me buy the D-45 instead, I guess that was a hard lesson learned with that one.:o

11. Michael

Well the D-28 is a gem! Back in late 70 early 71...I bought my D-28...After playing Gordon Lightfoots D-28, I fell in love with the feel and sound of the 28!. I had to bring my 28 to the Martin factory for a lower action adjustment...It was amazing how Gordon's action was so incredibly high! He must have liked it that way!...So, I just couldn't get the rest up for the D-45 which at that time was $820.00!!! The D-28 was $420.00...I love my 28 and wouldn't trade it for anything...I'll betcha I'd love the 45 even more! LOL!

12. Beatle Terr

As I said, I think that there a bit more earthiness in older D-18 and 28's and I know you must love the sound you get from your D-28. I think if you did have a D-45 you'd tend to just want to look at it instead of playing it. LOL:laugh: It was so freakin pretty I just would sit there and reach for my polish cloth and my Tres Amigo's carnuba wax and lemon oil to make it just GLEAM !! It's a sick thing we guitarist must learn to deal with, actually cleaning something and taking the best of care of it. :D
    My wife would often come home and I would have taken out all my guitars and had them leaning up on the couches and in the comfort chair plus as many guitar stands that I could find the tripod tubular type. Then I'd sit in the room and have the TV or some music playing in the background. She would then see there wasn't anyplace for her to sit down so she'd like see me staring at them and her question to me would be, WHAT ARE YA DOING TERR? WHY do you have all these guitars out? My answer would be, (I will put this in quotes in case you ever need to use it)
    "I HAD TO LET THEM OUT TO BREATH"!!!!!! Needless to say, to this day she has never forgotten that line. LOL:D

13. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Hi all!

I received this beautiful guitar on Saturday, and gosh-by-golly-wow, it's terrific! It is settling in nicely after the trip across the country to my home, and sounds excellent...

Thank you, Steve for selling this puppy on the forum, rather than E-bay. I will take good care of it!

BeatlesBop likes this.
  14. Beatle Terr

Rob glad to hear that a fellow New Yorker bought this great Axe from Steve. If you need any tips on taking care of it. Don't be afraid to ask as I'm sure if you've never owned a nice arch top like this you might have some questions. Really happy for you man!!!:thumbsup: :) Best of Luck with that beauty!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.