Brazil film poll

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RK2249, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wanted to see what people thought of this classic film. I think it's great. It's not perfect, by any stretch, but I think it's essential viewing.

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Gilliam's cut that is on the Criterion disc is my second favorite film of all time behind Blade Runner The Final Cut.

Bender Rodriguez and RK2249 like this.
  3. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

A good film, have to see it again sometime (just saw there's a director's cut..). As with many Terry Gilliam-movies it has its flaws; it has a rambling quality and its constant switching between comedy and drama make watching it a confusing experience for me....

4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I'm stuck between two and three stars. On a five-star scale, I'd give it a three.

Enjoyable enough, but basically just a thin rewrite of Orwell's 1984.

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Very good, but I have no desire to see it again. It became too real.
    My wife had nightmares for a long time after seeing it.

danner, vince and Vidiot like this.
  6. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

One of my favorites. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

RK2249 likes this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Amazing the studio demanded a, "love conquers all" conclusion...and only after seeing what Gilliam gave them. If they wanted that movie, they could have hired somebody to make one.

RK2249 likes this.
  8. Great movie! Many of the set scenes still stick in my memory. I liked the comedy mixed with drama -it kept the dark story fun for much of the ride. The dystopia depicted in this movie seems a bit to close to present reality for comfort.

vince and RK2249 like this.
  9. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I voted Very Good 3 stars. It definitely has some great imagery, interesting plot and ideas. But it took me 3 tries to make it all the way through, and though I bought it, never really made it through a rewatch and sold it. So I definitely think it was worth seeing and interesting, but not a 4 star all time favorite.

10. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Excellent, my favourite Christmas movie!

11. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

Love it.

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

5 stars!

I still haven't bothered to watch the Love Conquers All version, and probably never will.

13. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Watch the Love Conquers All version with the audio commentary. It's very insightful and points out how the various edits and deletions changed the tone of the movie.

14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

That's a good idea. I forgot it had commentary.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I can't tell anymore. I pretty much have to like it, whether I do or not, as I've spent so much money on various editions over the years.

$50 MCA betamax
    $80 MCA laserdisc
    $150 Criterion CAV laserdisc box
    $100 Criterion DVD box
    $40 Criterion BD

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    benjaminhuf, vince and The Hud like this.
  16. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Absolutely love it. The dream sequences are odd and look pretty silly, but the film otherwise is super-sharp satire. Jonathan Pryce is terrific.

The first time I saw it was about a month after I had just begun my first full-time, permanent office employment, and the flow of pointless papers into my in box and out of my out box reminded me of the bit with the pneumatic tube system which was just about the funniest thing I'd ever seen.

17. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I thought it was okay, I haven't seen it since 1985, I probably should watch it again and see what I think of it 32 years later.

18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I saw it only once back when it was released and, quite frankly, I don't remember much of it. I didn't think it was great nor bad.

(Side note: My two favorite Gilliam films are The Fisher King and Time Bandits.)

19. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

The US theatrical release version is magnificent, the director's cut version is a drag, and the love-conquers-all version is awful! You can tell them apart by the lengths-
    • “Love Conquers All” version (94 min.)
    • Theatrical (131 min.)
    • Director’s Cut (142 min.)

20. hubertfarnsworth

hubertfarnsworth Forum Resident

I used to go see this all the time at a Midnight Movie showing, probably seen it more than any other film, still enjoy it to this day. I also owned VHS, laser disc, Criterion DVD, and now Criterion Blu-Ray. Hopefully that's it, but who knows, maybe 4K one day :)

21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Inexplicably never seen - I need to watch it!

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was always baffled by Universal's Sid Sheinberg saying that, because the downbeat, dark, depressing ending was always in the script, and all Terry Gilliam did was just shoot the script. If they had an objection, they should've gotten that out of the way in the script phase, long before they locked down the budget and committed to making the movie.

The Hud and wayneklein like this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Audience research (advance screenings) is always a great way of covering for, "I wasn't paying attention to what I was approving".

EdgardV likes this.
  24. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Brazil does much more than thinly rewrite Orwell. It's brilliant in its own right.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I know 'ahead of it's time' get thrown around a lot in the world of film...
    but, DAMMIT, this one truly IS!

The Hud likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.