"Better Call Saul" - pre season and Season One Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

Good news for Breaking Bad fans, filled with dread and anticipation of the end of the ground-breaking series: The BB universe (Heisenbergeverse?) will continue, in the form of a prequel series, tentatively titled Better Call Saul. It's been rumored for months, but AMC and Sony have hammered out a deal with Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould for the spinoff show, to star Bob Odenkirk. Peter Gould created the Saul Goodman character for Breaking Bad, and he would take over as showrunner once the show is launched. With BCS being a prequel, the doors are wide open for all kinds of guest stars and cameos, regardless of who falls in Walter White's wake in the next three weeks. Giancarlo Esposito (Gustavo Fring) has already expressed interest, and let's not forget that Mike, Jesse and Badger all had relationships with Saul before he ever met Walt.

Read all about it at The Wrap:

http://www.thewrap.com/breaking-bad-spinoff-better-call-saul-is-a-go/

Gems-A-Bems and Vidiot like this.
  2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

3. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

S'all good, man. Especially if Fring is part of the show.

kevintomb likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Awesome! I was wearing my Better Call Saul t-shirt yesterday. :)

5. TheSunIsChicken

TheSunIsChicken formerly Merseybeat

6. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I'm definitely in for this. Only issue I can see is that Saul's scenes can no longer exist as juxtaposed with scenes of horrific tension and violence; it can no longer be comedy relief. I think if they only bring back Fring and Mike, it already has potential. These writers and producers are so at the top of their game that I am open to whatever new characters will pop up.

Dan

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Good deal.

8. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Sounds good.

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I'm a fan of Bob Odenkirk's from back to his Mr. Show days and enjoy the comic relief that he brings to Breaking Bad, but I'm having a hard time seeing this character anchoring his own show. Oh, what's Heull going to screw up this week? I will admit that possible return appearances by Gus Fring and Mike are tantalizing, but I can't quite imagine what sort of tone to expect here. I honestly can't believe they green lit this one, but we'll see. . .

10. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

You know what's better than a TV show about a criminal lawyer?

A TV show about a *criminal* lawyer.

Looking forward to this show.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

They could fool (and maybe delight) us all by showing Saul becoming the Saul we know, going back perhaps ten years to show how a desperate store front lawyer found a way to survive and thrive. That could be really cool, we may not see Mike, Gus, or Huel, or we may see them after a while. . . .

I could dig that.

Gumboo likes this.
  12. Hope it's better than the Lone Gunmen

vince likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

14. Well we know that Saul's not going to die on "Breaking Bad" (Would you watch a prequel knowing that the main character died?). I think it's unlikely they'll kill him.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree. I don't think everybody's going to die, but I'd bet everybody Walt is close to doesn't end up well.

16. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

I can. Lots of BB viewers will be having BB withdrawals big time in a few months. This in no way can replace BB but they should be able to do some interesting things to expand on the Saul character and possibly Mike, Gus and others from BB as well.

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I got just two things to say about this.

One is...just because I order the cobb salad at the diner, doesn't mean I'd also buy the fruit salad just because it comes in the same bowl.

And #2 is:
    Mary McDonnel.jpg

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Supreme Beings Of Leisure - Mirror

Attached Files:

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

19. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

If it's half as good as Breaking Bad, it'll still be better than most of the stuff on television. I'm looking forward to this.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, it's kind of hard to believe. But I'm glad for Bob Odenkirk. I always felt bad for him after David Cross' career took off and poor Bob Odenkirk went into limbo.

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm looking forward to it....

22. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I love them both from Mr. Show it's about time Bob gets some loving from the mainstream. And he did it without Chipmunks.

23. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Yeah, I predict this show gets big initial numbers, then starts dropping off. I can't see this working.

24. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

'll give it a watch to see how good it is. If it's creative and funny, I'll stick with it. If not, I won't Call Saul.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They only have to get ratings of 1M-1.5M on cable for it to be a reasonable success, and I bet they can do that. What puzzles me is whether they're going to go for a comedy show, or make it a 1-hour drama with comedic moments (which is what I understand they're going to do). I think Odenkirk is a good enough actor to pull it off, and don't forget, he's got a lot of experience as a writer, too.

BTW, I think it's just a smokescreen that the Better Call Saul show is going to be a prequel to Breaking Bad. I think Saul will survive the inevitable massacre in Albuquerque, and I think the show will take place in contemporary America... but probably not in New Mexico.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.