"Better Call Saul" - pre season and Season One Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Did I see a link to a Rolling Stone Interview with Bob Odenkirk in this thread?
    The link is below (where it says Rolling Stone).

He talked about how his character was only supposed to be in 4 episodes originally, and he actually couldn't make one of them because of a commitment -which is why they wrote Mike into the story!

This is from a Daily News article published today referencing that article:

Jonathan Banks better call Bob Odenkirk - and thank him for the role of a lifetime.
    In an interview with Rolling Stone, the "Better Call Saul" star revealed that Banks' character, Mike Ehrmantraut, was created after Odenkirk was unable to film episodes of "Breaking Bad," the drama that spawned "Saul."
    "I thought I was up for three episodes of 'Breaking Bad' - well, they wanted me for four, but I could only do three 'cause I was in 'How I Met Your Mother,'" Odenkirk said, referring to his recurring guest stint as Marshall's boss Arthur Hobbs on the popular comedy.
    "They actually added the character of Mike because I couldn't make that fourth week, and they needed another character to get that information across, so that's amazing right there.

2. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

I'M CALLING IT

Rufus McDufus and Mr. H like this.
  3. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

4. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I finally got caught up to the current episode. What a great show! Easily the best show currently on tv.

Mr. H likes this.
  5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

First show in a long time that I can't wait for next episode. Too short of a season.

ssmith3046, Mr. H and AZRunner like this.
  6. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

One thing I thought was a great passing moment: When Jimmy was at the tailor getting his Hamlin suit made the tailor went into the back to pick some shirts. While he was gone Jimmy picked up a red shirt and red tie in the style that he would wear as Saul to see how they looked.

Chad

artfromtex, Deesky and Mr. H like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it's great, too, but overall I'd say the best is House of Cards.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

The guy playing the vet is a very funny comedian; Joe DiRossa, I think, is his name.
    His Comedy Central stand-up special is a 'must-see'!

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I would agree. I just finished up with the current season (I really take my time with the Netflix series), and I already can't wait for the next one.
    One thing I will say about Saul: if anyone gets an Emmy nod, it better be Jonathan Banks, because he is crushing it. That heartbreaking scene with his daughter-in-law at the end of "Five-O" had me weeping ("I broke my boy"-gahhh!). I think that's the only time we've ever seen Mike crack like that.

CBC and Vidiot like this.
  10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

While I'm enjoying this show, I'm having hard time understanding how anyone could, at this point, be asserting this show is better than Breaking Bad. It's well written, and the characters are interesting and well acted. But it's missing the cat-and-mouse and hidden-in-plain-sight elements that made Breaking Bad so compelling...

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm with you, for me it got off to a slow and shaky start and I've enjoyed it most from episode three on. . . I like it a lot. . . but it's not the monster that Breaking Bad has been in my watching world.

bababooey likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not only was this the best acting we've ever seen from Banks, I think he spoke more in this one episode than in the entire series run of Breaking Bad. BTW, Bob Odenkirk just mentioned that the reason why Banks was in Breaking Bad is because Odenkirk was supposed to be in four episodes, but could only schedule three. As a result, they created Banks' character of "Mike the Hitman" to temporarily take his place... but it worked so well, they made him an important recurring character.

CBC likes this.
  13. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I think people are comparing it to Breaking Bad's first season. The writing is excellent and the acting has been superb. BB and BCS are two different shows. I'm enjoying every episode.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  14. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

It's tough to compare, especially this soon. Plus after watching Breaking Bad, you're coming into BCS with a head start since you already have a connection to 2 of its main characters. If BB hadn't existed and BCS started as it has, it's difficult to know if I'd find it as compelling as I do. Maybe.

But thankfully that's not the case and as it is, I'm enjoying the hell out this show so far.

15. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Also >>> Jesse Pinkman was originally supposed to die at the end of season 1. When Vince Gilligan saw Aaron Paul's performance as Jesse he changed his mind.

16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

amoergosum and rburly like this.
  17. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I do too. I hope they keep that relationship going for a while, and expand upon it next season.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I had no idea. That would have been a whole different story possibly.

19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Good article on the writers strike and pinkman here. Basically it's a bit overstated because by the second episode they realized Aaron Paul was so good and was a good counterweight to Walt.

http://www.avclub.com/article/the-writers-strike-of-2007-08-changed-ibreaking-ba-101217

Amazing to me how well BB adapted and got stronger due to external things like actors leaving the show whereas Lost struggled with it

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Who left the show?

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

As an aside. If you happen to be watching with a discrete surround sound set-up, the sound editing and 5.1 mixing for Better Call Saul is better than most movies. :thumbsup:

Vidiot likes this.
  22. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Loving the show, it keeps getting better & better, the "Five-O" episode the look, the writing....wow. Johnathan Banks is a treasure.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's an extremely well-mixed show. They do a lot of interesting sound effects that crack me up -- the weird background noises in the nail salon are very funny.

24. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I binged on 6 episodes of this on the weekend. Loved it.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Combo. The girl who played Jesse's girlfriend. A lot of people figured the show would never be able to carry on after those losses. But they did. And they got even stronger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.