"Better Call Saul" - pre season and Season One Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

The girlfriend was an interesting character, Combo was just there really. Skinny Pete and Badger were much more interesting characters. I don't think combo was a great loss.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Agreed, but right after I said what I said, last night's episode, "Rico" aired and it was mixed much less ambitiously than previous episodes. :laugh: Still a great episode, though.

I think the best sound mix of the season was the Mike-centric "Five-o" episode. The background sounds were used to establish subtle things like the types of neighborhood characters live in (near an airport, etc.), that actually contributed to the story similarly to the art direction and set dressing.

Vidiot and stereoptic like this.
  3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I don't think I've ever heard coffee-pouring sound as luscious as when Chuck poured a couple cups for Jimmy and himself this episode. Seriously. Go back and listen!

5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

5.1 or stereo, the latest ep. in the early scene where his brother's partner is eating cake and telling him the bad news about not bringing him in as a lawyer, was masterful: sans dialog sound with a view outside the room looking in and the sound of a printer whirring away. I just thought that was genius, forcing you to focus on the body language without hearing the spiel. A homage to the HAL scene in 2001?
    I listen in stereo and also noticed the meticulous background information in the sound mix, this must be quite impressive in surround.
    Another stunningly composed visual shot in this one was Mike at his booth with those yellow pylons in the foreground.
    Pretty sweet stuff.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

There is a scene towards the end with Chuck and Jimmy where I thought that Chuck might get bumped off, because Jimmy was laying on Chucks couch and Chuck is walking around like a target in the house -I only thought this because of knowing the history and future in the show coupled with the fact that they were digging into places where other people don't want them to dig. I also had a sneaky feeling that the writers wanted to project this thought as a tease,
    which I don't doubt at all having watched BB from day one and this show until now.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I was not expecting a sniper shot, but they went out of the way to make Chuck look vulnerable over this and previous episodes which made the payoff when he finally chimed in at the end of the meeting in his house (as well as the event that concluded the episode) all the more surprising/entertaining.

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

A great episode.
    I loved it when Chuck walked through and then out of the house.

9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

No worries with the spoilers. It was last night. We go through this every week lol

guidedbyvoices and vertigone like this.
  10. Lonson

Okay.

Yeah, they did that beautifully. I saw it coming, and enjoyed watching it. It was nice to see Dennis Boutsikaris, he's a good personality actor.

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

EVOLVIST and ubiknik like this.
  12. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I would agree that House Of Cards is the best show on TV. Saul hasn't earned it yet.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But Better Call Saul is a damned good show.

That stood out to me, too! I suspect they had the "maximum delicious" filter turned to 11.

15. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Until there is a boxset of this show to match BB, I'm not sure why there is even any comparing to be done.
    I suppose it's natural, but it's the same creators building in the same world.
    It could be argued that they have gotten much better at it then say back in season 2 of BB, I mean they are taking a somewhat thin premise and making it exceptionally compelling.

16. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I'm guessing that this large class action law suit is going to be the beginning of the end of Jimmy. I wonder if the girlfriend is going to rat him out to Hamlin.

Chad

17. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Do you mean the beginning of the end for Chuck?

18. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

No. I think that Hamlin is going to pressure Chuck into giving the firm the suit and Jimmy will get a pittance.

Chad

Hot Ptah likes this.
  19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm expecting that the case will fail somehow and that will cause Saul to turn his back on trying to do any good as a lawyer.

20. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I'm suspecting that by billing the hours/copy work to Chuck's firm with his code will have serious consequences down the road.........

Mr. H, trem two, rburly and 1 other person like this.
  21. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Another great shot >>>

[​IMG]

mmars982, Mr. H and ubiknik like this.
  22. Lonson

You're probably right.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

House of Cards in not in the same league as this show, not by a long shot, both visually and narratively. There are no plot holes in BCS.

Great episode (again). As someone who likes courtroom dramas and smart legal duels, I found this ep very enjoyable. So many lovely moments that didn't scream for attention. Blow my Magic Flute! :)

24. I liked how Jimmy answered his cell phone when he was in the dumpster, covered with garbage. "Is this a bad time"?

Rufus McDufus and amoergosum like this.
  25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

It's funny; the music they used for the 'montage', I only know as a 'loop' from one of the Handsome Boy Modeling School albums!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.