Breaking Bad, The Sopranos or The Wire

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marke, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Most Fans of the Show predicted what was going to happen to Jax, but it was still a great ending(and also the episode where Gemma met her end and how it was done). I think the acting was excellent(especially the actress, who played Gemma), but we all have our own take on tv shows and acting talent. I think the only weak part of the show was Jax getting all violent to avenge the death of Tara, and he was just out of control.

A spinoff on the Mayans MC is in the works and looking forward to it. Alvarez can go have a sit down with Trump on that Wall:tsk:

2. TheSeldomSeenKid

I bought the Barrel Box Set, and I love the 'Sons of Anarchy' Box Set even more with the replica Clubhouse Table(since I cannot have the real one from the tv show-haha).

alexpop likes this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I read an interview with Charlie Hunnam (Jax) where he said that he actually based his character on a true life biker that he hung out with and studied, white sneakers and all!

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tbe Lost City Of Z- looks interesting.

5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've watched some of the Sopranos and it was fine. I never followed The Wire. Breaking Bad changed how I watched TV.

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The Sopranos, for me.

7. cellery

cellery Well-Known Member

Only saw Breaking Bad so my vote isn't worth much, did really love it though. Am meaning to check out the other two at some point in life though. :) For the Breaking Bad Fans, also check out the spin-off Beter Call Saul which is equally great stuff, especially considering how dissapointing most spin-offs usually end up.

8. projectcookie

projectcookie Forum Resident

Breaking Bad makes for one of the most entertaining shows ever, but gotta call out The Wire as the more important show. It's smart, relevant; really ballsy and will stand the test of time. Bmore represent!

9. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Tie between The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Shield, Sons Of Anarchy, and Justified. Love them all.

11. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

The Shield was one of the greatest cop dramas ever considering the limitations of basic cable.

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

My vote for greatest cop drama would be NYPD Blue (the Caruso/Smits years!).

JimW likes this.
  13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

14. alexpop

Managed to get Breaking Bad:
    The Complete Series (embossed) Steelbook edition new sealed for 19.99 inc 2-hour documentary. This is one heavy tin box.

15. TheSeldomSeenKid

Suppose to be based on the real life person that the Indiana Jones Character was created from. I saw a scene from the movie and it looks good. Too bad that while making the movie, Hunnam suffered a punctured eardrum when a bug dug itself inside his ear while he was asleep in his hotel. It woke him up and he made the mistake of blasting water(I think some device used for nasal clearance) in his ear and made the insect more angry and that is when it bit into his eardrum. He went to the hospital after that happened. He said it affects him when flying, but he seems to have taken it in stride. I would not have taken it so well. Also, he said filming in the jungle, there were several snakes, mosquitoes and other dangerous critters. Not a role I would take if I was an actor, but that is just me, as used to watch Steve Irwin handle the deadliest snakes in Australia and it freaked me out.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Brad Pitt bought the film script.

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

This 3rd Season of 'Better Call Saul' looks like it will finally get good and darker, based on the 1st episode and the eventual introduction of Gus Fring and his drug front, Los Pollos Hermanos Restaurant. Already had Tuco and Hector make appearances last season, but with Raymond Cruz signed on to play a role in the 'Mayans' SOA Spinoff Series, wonder how much screen time his Tuco Character will get in the remaining seasons of 'Better Call Saul'(You need a CRIMINAL Lawyer, not a Criminal Lawyer).

alexpop likes this.
  18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Sopranos head and shoulders above the others. Boardwalk Empire comes in 2nd and probably Mad Men after that. I prefer GoT to Breaking Bad, to give some idea of where it ranks for me.

HBO shows do a better job of establishing characters and plot lines prior to the writing and production, which gives the actors and directors a leg up. In the case of Sopranos, it was just a phenomenal ride that ultimately explored male identity in the new millennium while juggling the most entertaining plot lines about honor, loyalty, family, without letting any balls drop. It had this true-to-life, unpredictable air about it where some narratives resolved right away and others dragged on to the point where they never seemed to resolve. The therapy sessions and dream sequences allowed the audience in T's head in a way no other show could achieve.

While BB was constantly driving to the hoop, formulaic, and hammering you over the head with the writing and acting, Sopranos was like a work of art. It's ability to switch the mood up or erupt in emotion or violence where you weren't expecting it was sheer genius. The humor is a prime example of how the shows differed. Walter White running around in his undies is not what I consider funny, whereas Gandolfini was so dialed in to the character he could create more humor just by drumming his fingers or giving a hard stare at the right moment. In terms of dialog, BB was amateur in comparison. It felt labored in the way the characters dealt with each other. As a result, I couldn't relate to anyone in BB. Even Giancarlo Esposito, who most would agree is very understated and underacted his role felt like he was actually over-acting it. Very stilted and inhuman. I don't know how else to explain it. You just felt like everyone in BB was acting, whereas in Sopranos you felt like you were really seeing the gangster world.

Luckless Pedestrian likes this.
  20. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Breaking Bad for me, but the other two are close. Was in "Bodymore" last night.

21. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

1st: The Sopranos
    2nd: BB

I haven't seen the Wire. I tried watching the 1st episode and couldn't get through it.

My major gripe with TS was the entire Vito on the lam with his gay lover "Johnny Cakes" storyline. Total waste of storyline that could've/should've been used for other characters.

Honorary Mad Men mention

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  22. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I voted The Wire years ago my thoughts have not changed.

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think you'll be glad you gave it a second chance if you can stick with it. By the time the Omar plot kicks in, played masterfully by the same actor who is Chalky White in Boardwalk Empire, you will be hooked. More than any of the actors, though, it is the urban decay of Baltimore that is the real star of this show.

I agree "Brokeback Vito" is painful to watch, and seriously gets in the way of 6.1. But if you think about how central the issues of LGBTwhatever have become in our society, I don't think Sopranos could be complete without this story arc. Going by the thesis laid out in the first season, "what ever happened to the strong, silent type," the show had to go there.

24. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I've just finished a BA(Hons) in Criminology. I could have done most of it just by watching The Wire; that's how good (and true to life) it was.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Brenald79 and GregM like this.
  25. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

both Sopranos and The Wire are well beyond BB, imo

GregM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.