Breaking Bad, The Sopranos or The Wire

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marke, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's "The Path "like staring BB's
    Aaron Paul?

2. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I, Claudius.

3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I have not seen it(do not get Amazon Streaming), but heard it is great and also stars Hugh Dancy as the CULT Leader, and he was excellent as Will Graham on the recent 3 seasons of 'Hannibal'(one of my Top 5 TV Shows and really disappointed that NBC caved to poor ratings and dropped the show and FX, AMC, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu did not show interest to pick it up as Fuller(Showrunner) had planned out 7 Seasons).

Also, the Amazon has a great show with Billy Bob Thornton playing a lawyer. Think it is called 'Goliath'.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

Breaking Bad poll leader understandably so.

5. alexpop

Derek Jacobi or John Hurt?

6. alexpop

Always thought they'd be a spin off of Breaking Bad with Aaron Paul/Jesse Pinkman.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  7. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Breaking Bad, The Wire, and the Sopranos in that order. Although I loved The Sopranos I felt they left too many "mini plotlines" unresolved.

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

Actually, 'Breaking Bad' & 'Better Call Saul' Showrunner, Vince Gilligan said that they were deciding to do the Spinoff focused on either Saul or Gus, and end up choosing Saul, and the original intent was to make the show a straight comedy, with Saul dealing with Clients. Glad since, they choose Saul, that they went more of the direction to be a Prequel to Breaking Bad to show how Jimmy McGill will transform into Saul Goodman, and able to bring back several great characters/actors from Breaking Bad. Since this show takes place about 6 years prior to the start of 'Breaking Bad', Jesse Pinkman would have only been in 8th or 9th Grade, I would assume so doubt there would be enough interest to center the show around him at that age, but maybe bring him back if he can play himself at that really young age.

I actually would have preferred the Prequel to focus on Gus, as we got part of his backstory on a few episodes of 'Breaking Bad', and how he came up from Chile, but looks like will get more backstory on how he got started running his drug empire with Los Pollos Hermanos as a front, and looks like we will soon find out how Mike ends up working for Gus. So it is all good. I was bored with most of the 1st Season of 'BCS', but my interest picked up last year with appearances by Tuco and Hector, and this season is getting even darker and starting to have more of a 'BB' feel to the show. So I am all in now.

alexpop and Vidiot like this.
  9. TheSeldomSeenKid

I concur with your order, as too many episodes of 'The Sopranos' were just boring and felt like I wasted an hour. Hated the episodes with Tony's Sister and his bratty Son. I was glued to 'The Sopranos' because of the awesome acting of James Gandolfini(RIP), but I wanted more episodes to center on the Organized Crime part and thought it would have been great to reveal in the final season that a major character like Christopher, Paulie or Silvio was an FBI Undercover Agent all that time, and had one of them take down Tony and add Courtroom Scenes in the final season to provide details.

All 3 of these shows in this thread though had some great acting(especially Michael K Williams-Omar on The Wire) and Cranston, Esposito, Cruz, Paul, Odenkirk & Banks on Breaking Bad(and several others in smaller roles in the show). Also 'The Wire' mixed into their Cast of Veteran Actors, real people from Baltimore with no acting experience, who did really well to add to the authenticity of that show.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    DLD and alexpop like this.
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

Yeah, The Wire seemed more like a Documentary(Is Docu-Drama an actual term to mix real life with fiction?) and the main character was not played by any of the actors, but was the City of Baltimore itself. My only criticism was the 5th Season was a step down with the focus on the troubles that the City Newspaper(like all Newspapers) that were becoming obsolete with internet access to the News, Sports, Entertainment, Financial, Travel, etc.

I was surprised(Given David Simon's background a Reporter for the Baltimore Sun on covering the Police Department and his really good awareness of all issues with the City Police and it's Citizens, that they did not focus a Season on Police Brutality that Police cover up for each other with the 'Blue Shield of Silence', that ironically hit Baltimore in recent years(and Prince wrote a song about on his final album). Certainly, not just a Baltimore issue, which happens in all Cities, but then again, all of the issues covered on 'The Wire' could have taken place in any other major US City(except for the storyline on the Docks/Shipping, then you would need to limit those issues to just Port Cities on either Coast), but City Hall, Police, Public School Systems, Drug Trade, Neighborhoods, etc. all could have had a similar story done with other Cities like Philly, NYC, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Atlanta, Dallas, LA, Cleveland, etc. as the location.

11. alexpop

Yeah.,second season of BCS was better because of that.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  12. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I never got into The Sopranos and I still need to get into The Wire, so my vote goes to Breaking Bad.

13. alexpop

What fourth show should follow those in thread title ( not fantasy related)?

14. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

By saying "not fantasy related" you're excluding Game of Thrones, The Leftovers & Lost. I don't know, The Shield maybe?

alexpop likes this.
  15. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Why not fantasy-related?

16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

What does Breaking Bad & The Wire have in common? If I was an actor, I'd love to have those two shows on my resume.

[​IMG]

17. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I liked Gale, he sure got a raw deal - but, hey, that's what happens when you enter the bigtime drug business.

18. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Although he looks much the same in those two roles, his acting (and of course the roles) made it hard to believe it was the same actor.

Scotian likes this.
  19. alexpop

Well that would be GOT out of thee equation..makes the choice practically impossible.

20. alexpop

Sheild's good, but imo not in the same league.

Sherman likes this.
  21. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I've never seen GOT (I have a real distaste for programs or movies with dragons and magic and such), but what makes you so sure GOT would automatically take this spot if fantasy were allowed? Surely there are plenty of other programs just as worthy.

22. alexpop

GOT"
    I am not a lover of hobgoblins etc myself, but was mighty impressed with it. Still, regarding my original post guess I was referring to crime genre.

23. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I voted for The Sopranos, for a long time my favourite TV programme...but then when Breaking Bad and The Wire came along they caused me a slight dilemma, maybe these are the best shows ever....but then maybe Boardwalk Empire is etc etc..so I just default to The Sopranos.

24. alexpop

Yeah ..I'd slip BE just under BB for crime related genre.

25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It's because of the politics and shifting allegiances of different characters that makes the show compelling to fans outside the fantasy genre, including yours truly. Like other HBO shows, it is very well written, directed and acted, and the production values, sets and effects are also a big draw. Therefore it pulls in a tremendous audience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.