Breaking Bad, The Sopranos or The Wire

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marke, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ha! Just spotted Breaking Bad's Dean Norris (the squat man)in The Firm.

2. alexpop

Best gangster show ?
    The Sopranos then Boardwalk.

Wouldn't class Breaking Bad as a gangster series, per se.

But ..the past 15 years has produced a lot of quality tv shows ;ie The Wire, Lost, Mad Men, GOT, SOA.

Have I left anything out?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Peaky Blinders
    Underbelly

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

Underbelly ?
    Never heard of that.

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

alexpop likes this.
  6. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

well let your mind be blown...the sopranos tops both of these shows IMO. The Wire coming in second and BB was a yawn for me.

7. alexpop

Apparently Paul McCartney's just started binge watching Breaking Bad.
    A man of wealth.. taste and vision.

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I tried like hell to get into The Wire, but just didn't love it.

To me, The Sopranos was by far the best show I had ever seen...until I saw Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad = the best show ever

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Begs repeat viewings.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

Six Feet Under and Dexter.

To me, Six Feet Under is in 3rd place after BB and Sopranos (for ones I have seen).

Dexter ended badly, but Seasons 1, 2 and 4 are all so awesome that I think it still deserves mention.

I still need to watch Game of Thrones.

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

GOT?
    Get the chance to binge watch, enjoy.

12. alexpop

Prefer the Sopranos to Boardwalk and The Wire.? Have to check out Six Feet Under.

13. George Co-Stanza

It's on my list. Has been for a while. I have just heard that it is hard to get into at first since there are like 399 characters, so I am prepping myself. :uhhuh:

14. George Co-Stanza

15. alexpop

GOT: Don't worry about the many characters.
    Just gives you a chance to watch it again and again, its that special.:D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  16. George Co-Stanza

Boardwalk Empire was really good, and I loved the classic look of it, but I don't think it was "all-time great" good. The last three seasons were all pretty choppy.

17. alexpop

Boardwalk Empire : Period authentication..brilliant
    I was surprised it was going to be that good and it excelled. No Sopranos or BB though, agree.

18. George Co-Stanza

Steve Buscemi is an awesome supporting actor, but not really a classic lead actor, at least not on the level of Cranston or Gandolfini, which is why Nucky was never really that character you cared about the most or viewed as the most compelling. Over time, it was like he wasn't even the main character anymore. I always found the Richard Harrow story arc far more compelling.

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

Regarding Jack Huston/Harrow. Wouldn't have minded more WW1 back story. He was my favourite character as well. What do you think of Better Call Saul?

20. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Sopranos all the way for me :)

DHamilton and alexpop like this.
  21. alexpop

Groovy choice.

GroovyGuy likes this.
  22. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

The first season of the Wire is a little hard to get into until a very tragic death of a younger character. At least, imo. After that I got really into the show. Season 2 with it's focus on the docks was a great departure, and the most underrated season in the series.

Season 3 is when it really started firing on all cylinders, with the introduction of Marlo, the deterioration of Avon & Stringers relationship. That's when the show begins to stick in your mind, and even more so than any show I've seen yet, it rewards you immensely with repeated viewings. There are many layers, subtle acting, multi layered dialogues, and references that, when you catch it, makes you smile so hard you can't feel your face.

Season 4 was heartbreaking. The way they show just how bad the school system was failing these children was brilliant.

Season 5 was also great & they managed to wrap everything up nicely (and tragically for some characters) while making parallels between many other characters.

Omar Little & Bunk are the greatest gifts the show will give you, and you'll thank God every day for it. I cannot recommend the show enough. Stick with it, watch it again, dig deep, it's worth it. Very, very realistic.

Originally, I voted for Breaking Bad (and I love that show) but I hadn't seen the Wire or the Sopranos back then. Now, the Wire gets my vote. Currently watching the Sopranos (season 2) and I love it. We'll see.

JimW, trumpet sounds and KevinP like this.
  23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The hard turn taken by Season Two of THE WIRE was when I knew I was watching something far beyond anything I'd seen on television. I had finally gotten my arms around the cast in Season One and now I'm supposed to absorb a whole new setting? But I was almost in tears watching Sobotka walk to his meeting with The Greek, or Ziggy's ham-handed vengeance.

JimW and trumpet sounds like this.
  24. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I think Frank was the greatest thing about season 2. The writing & acting in this show was so consistent. They introduced a bunch of new characters in a different location, but still managed to effortlessly connect it to the main cast and they're situation while simultaneously have you invested in the new characters just as much.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  25. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

This is no way a complaint or sarcasm--I enjoy reading this read!--but any takers on how old this thread will be before no one posts in it anymore? It's about 5 1/2 years old now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.