Rihanna's New Album 'Anti'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. pghmusiclover

I'm puzzled: how can it go platinum when nothing was actually "bought"? It's easy to go platinum when it's given away free -- hell it could be MULTI-platinum if they give away more! This is all rather confusing nowadays!

4. JohnnyQuest

Ask Samsung. ;)

5. JohnnyQuest

6. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

That's crazy. I guess we paid by giving our email addresses and names to them? You wouldn't think those are very hard to come by?

And Samsung paid her.

And RIAA is giving certifications for free downloads. Didn't know they do that. Strange times.

theMess likes this.
  7. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Why isn't U2's latest album certified 100x Platinum since it was equally "given away" but to about 100 Million people...

Just a scam to hype people up. Gone are the days where something had to actually SELL 1 Million copies to be certified platinum!!!

Exile On My Street likes this.
  8. pghmusiclover

I actually thought there was a time when it was based on the units SHIPPED!

OldSoul likes this.
  9. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Actually you are 100% correct pghmusiclover...I completely forgot about the days where Clive Davis would ship 1 Million Units, get the album certified platinum and then wind up with 600,000 returns!!!

I stand corrected...

goodiesguy, OldSoul and pghmusiclover like this.
  10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I don't know if it's fast, but the amount is significant, especially if it counts towards chart eligibility, which it apparently does.

This reminded me of how Prince gave away copies of Musicology with concert tickets, which caused rules to change, this is what it says on Wikipedia:

Part of the album's chart success is due to concertgoers receiving a copy of Musicology, with the album cost included in the ticket price for the Musicology Tour. This prompted Billboard magazine and Nielsen SoundScan to change its chart data methodology: For future album releases, Billboard says that customers "must be given an option to either add the CD to the ticket purchase or forgo the CD for a reduced ticket-only price."

I really don't know anything about this, but this is how I imagine it works: I think the important word here is "option". The U2 album was put into peoples devices without them having a say, Rihanna's was downloaded by choice. You could see it this way: How much would you have to pay to concider it "bought", what if the album had cost $0.01, would that have made a difference? A money transaction would have been made, but it would have been pretty close to free anyway. Would a very expensive album be more "worthy" of it's chart placing? The question takes on philosophical proportions. :)

I agree it is very strange that a free album "goes platinum", but a line has to be drawn somewhere for eligibility, and it seems it goes between active choice and passive reception.

Edit: of course in the Prince example you have the "reduced...price" condition, which suggests monatary value is of consequence, so I don't know...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Marko L. likes this.
  11. pghmusiclover

With boxes of albums ending up in cut-out bins LOL

12. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

The couple of reviews I have read don't seem very impressed with this album. Maybe after such a long gap since the last album expectations were too high....

13. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I just made an album, gave it away for free, and it was downloaded 10 million times!!!!

Thanks mom!

14. Donutsss

Donutsss Forum Resident

its.so.good ??!!! god i love her

15. Wigwam

Wigwam Active Member

Good pop album and her voice sounds lovely on the ballads, i'll certainly be buying the cd on release day.

16. JohnnyQuest

Such a polarizing release. Just like most transitional albums.

17. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I like the album, that's all that matters

18. JohnnyQuest

I'm sure now Rihanna can sleep peacefully at night knowing that. :thumbsup:

19. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I'm not really a fan of hers, but I love that she is exposing Tame Impala's music to such a wide audience. Unlike some who like modern alternative/indie bands, I want my music to reach wider audiences lol

20. JohnnyQuest

Tame Impala gave it the thumbs up. :thumbsup: If it's ok with them, it's ok with me.

Bowieboy likes this.
  21. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

yea. When Maroon 5 is America's favorite "rock and roll band" (when Sam Smith and Adele have a presence on alternative and M5 doesn't, that shows how far removed from anything rock/alternative M5 is in 2016), then by all means, I want the good stuff to be heard by a wider audience. If 1% of the people buying this album decide to check Tame Impala out, that's still a good number of new fans

22. pghmusiclover

23. pghmusiclover

Yes (see my post #126 above for the link to his comments.)

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  24. JohnnyQuest

You're always beating everyone to the punch. :D

25. pghmusiclover

It's my OCD :pineapple:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.