Brian De Palma

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Feb 3, 2014.

1. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I always found his films frustrating, I never liked his style, and he's definitely gotten worse over the years. I watched Blowout last year when the Criterion blu-ray came out and had forgotten how bad that really was. I sold it the next day. I'll watch Scarface or the Untouchables if I come across them on tv, but I'm not a fan.

2. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I like the first Mission Impossible movie more than the others. That's probably the last movie he did that I like. Of his earlier stuff I really like The Fury and Carrie

Spastica and Vidiot like this.
  3. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Much as I love(d) Pauline Kael, I've always thought that her adoration of DePalma pretty much ruined him. Her review of Carrie brought him a lot of attention and subsequent unqualified raves for Fury, Dressed to Kill, and Blowout pretty much convinced him that his excretory functions were odorless. Her review of Casualties went on almost as long as the movie and was about as hard to read as the movie was to watch.

He has/had talent (as does Shyamalan), but both have fallen over their own egos and they can't get up.

Solaris likes this.
  4. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

When we went to St. Paul in 1984 to see the launch of Springsteen's tour....Brian was, of
    course, shooting. He was standing in front of the stage and guys were walking up to him
    and shaking his hand. I would have but I was up in the lower bowl....

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

What the TV cut of Scarface?

6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I liked "Snake Eyes" from 1998 if you want to consider that recent work.

I remember Gene Siskel did too when he was doing "At The Movies" with Roger Ebert by phone right before he died.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I love 'Sisters". That's my favorite DePalma films. I wish Criterion would give it the blu-ray treatment.

I also enjoy "Blow Out", "Dressed to Kill", "Carrie", "Phantom of the Paradise" and...."Raising Cain"!

8. alexpop

That film had potential. Nicolas Cage has not done much since. Apart from making money :). Herzog's kooky Port Of New Orleans and big daddy in Kick-Ass were excellent.

9. alexpop

Why no box set ?

10. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Only the older stuff, Body Double, Dressed To Kill, Blow Out, etc.

11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You can watch Sisters on Hulu@720p. Criterion on Hulu+ is about the best thing ever. For the price of a Whopper with cheese combo you can get a month of Hulu+.

12. Wow. I feel the opposite. Flaws aside, it's a fine film IMHO. I think despite its entertainment value Scarface is a much worse film.

13. If all of the above is true why would you buy Blow Out?

14. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Good question. I probably gave it another chance because of Travolta and the number of years since I'd seen it had dulled the pain.

15. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

16. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

alexpop likes this.
  17. Yeah that's why I've started renting, netflixing, etc. where possible (I don't know if that was an option here) because I've been burned many, many times by films I thought I might like (or even had a memory of liking) where they weren't quite as good as I recall.

There are a cuple of De Palma movies I recalled seeing and liking as a kid that, later, turned into mush when I watched them again.

18. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Perhaps the most disappointing of all the directors that came up in his generation. His successes have always been undermined by something awful right around the corner. My nominee for the Hall of Shame -- Snake Eyes w/Nicolas Cage.

Solaris likes this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I thought 'The Untouchables' was pretty well done. I'm also a fan of 'Phantom of the Paradise'.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, never heard of it, I'll have to check it out.

Hmm, just researched it - apparently it is a remake of the french move "Love Crime". I thought that movie had an interesting twist to it; even knowing it am curious to see what De Palma does with the story (I believe the ending is changed in De Palma's version, don't tell me though!) .

alexpop likes this.
  21. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I just watched Body Double again last night. It's so entertaining but so odd. The Frankie Goes to Hollywood appearance is random yet fascinating (and fun for an '80s snapshot). Melanie Griffith in her prime was great, Deborah Shelton was gorgeous (though I never realized until recently she was dubbed by Helen Shaver or someone who sounds a lot like Shaver) and Craig Wasson was well cast as the lead. The Pino Donaggio score is gorgeous.

22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

And maybe Michael Ritchie and even John Carpenter.

23. How about Raising Cain?
    That's a great bad movie :laugh:

24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I love many of his '70s and '80s films:

Phantom of the Paradise
    Carrie
    The Fury
    Dressed to Kill
    Blow Out
    The Untouchables
    Casualties of War

I don't like Scarface, though. And the only post-'80s movie of his I love is Carlito's Way. A couple of others are OK, though.

slipkid likes this.
  25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Passion was just okay, but not really worth the 5+ year wait since his last film....