Brian Eno 1973-1986: Definitive CD Comparisons & Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueSpeedway, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I know this comment isn't going to add much to the conversation, but I just wanted to put in another opinion that the 2004 remasters sound great. It's one example of recent remastering that actually works. The fact that they are cheap and easily available means to me that anyone who is interested in the music should just stop thinking about which version to buy and go get those.

2. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

It does sound like these are the way to go on CD, but aren't there some outstanding issues with the second to last batch of them? I've read in a few places that Music For Films has a similar, yet uncorrected issue, to Another Green World where a track begins late. On More Music For Films, Approaching Taidu appears twice and Climate Study is omitted. In the case of MMFF, they were supposed to be replaced/withdrawn, but much like AGW (in America anyway), the incorrect masters are still in the field.

On another note, I will say that I have the Glitterbeat LP/CD reissues of Fourth World Music 1 and Ambient 3 and they sound great as well.

3. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Discreet Music cds Comparison

I made a Comparison between the original Discreet Music cd with the Purple cover 0 77778 71872 7 Virgin Edition EG UK to the 2009 remastered cd Europe 5 099968 45322 0 ( same mastering as 2004 cd.

Both cds have the same DR : 13/ 10/10/11
    but very different Peak levels : tracks 2 ,3 , 4 on the remastered are significantly louder than those tracks on the original cd , I think the remastered is a bit more clearer ( maybe better converters
    I actually love both cds , you can't go wrong with any one of them.

Peak levels :

Early original cd
    63.8 / 68.5 / 50.5 / 49.0

Remastered cd 2009
    59.5 / 98.5 / 90.4 / 75.5

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Bananas&blow and BlueSpeedway like this.
  4. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I just noticed that. They're more than 10 years old. Not exactly "recent" :wave:

5. The_Windmill

Probably better source too. And well preserved.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  6. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Lewisboogie and Front 242 Addict like this.
  7. The_Windmill

wasn't that "forbidden"?

8. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

But the albums are 40+ years old.... it's recent enough, especially as CD releases become fewer and further between.

9. tremspeed

I believe it. Like Song of the South being released in England but not America.

10. tremspeed

Wow, didn't know about the Airports SACD. Is it not on Discogs?

11. Front 242 Addict

Thanks for the information:cool:

Years ago I heard the beautiful song Qu'ran on Sire Lp of a friend and I was disappointed that the track absent from the EG cd that I bought after listening to the lp ,then I bought the original Sire cd especially for Qu'ran.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  12. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

I second that, this is an album I've been going back to again and again since I purchased it. FYI; CD: Sire, 1981, 3645-2. Title: The Complete Score from "The Catherine Wheel".

13. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Thank you for this thread. Another Green World, I can play on repeat for at least a week. :D

BlueSpeedway and uzn007 like this.
  14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Hard to believe it's out of print, but OTOH, Amazon has copies as low as $2 so it shouldn't be hard to find. Definitely one of the definitive albums from that golden period of Talking Heads.

15. morgan1098

I have an original Sire CD with "Qu'ran" on it but I get a couple errors when I put it in iTunes, a couple brief bursts of static on a couple tracks. So I've been looking to replace it. I don't think this 2011 Japan CD will be the way to do it, though. I have looked around online a bit and it is nowhere to be found. It was an exclusive for Tower Records Japan, now out of print, and no copies on amazon, ebay, Discogs, etc. The original Sire CD with 12 tracks can be found for around $10 though with a bit of digging.

And now, based on the rave reviews here, I'm also going to track down a copy of Catherine Wheel. :)

16. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

It is one of the greatest ambient albums ever made. "What a day that was" is a classic never to be surpassed (but this is my subjective opinion). Summa summarum if you are into Eno or Talking Heads, The Catherine Wheel is mandatory and make bridges between artists and genres, even using Pink Floyd things like sounds from glass (Cloud Chamber).

PS: True, can't go wrong with Amazon, made a few incredible and surprising discoveries there myself.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Front 242 Addict likes this.
  17. Front 242 Addict

When I bought the sire cd from a seller from Canada I insisted that he actually really listens to the cd to be sure that Qu'ran is really there, I couldn't stand the thought to have another cd with the same title without the song :)

morgan1098 likes this.
  18. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

It's a shame that Qu'ran was removed after the "pressure" to do so at the time as the mastering of "Bush Of Ghosts" at that time with or without it were very nice.
    I have a Canadian Sire btw, and it is so much better than the awful remaster.

Front 242 Addict and audiotom like this.
  19. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

The Ship (2016) has not been much mentioned yet? Easy going, subtle, and DR11 (and with ambient I can easily go as low as 9). Playing like christmas music here at 45 dB.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  20. mikaal

Oh yeah we have Reflection coming in the new year!!

21. The_Windmill

Considering the thread's title "Brian Eno 1973-1986: Definitive CD Comparisons & Advice Thread" I'd say it doesn't belong here ;)

22. mikaal

Oops.

23. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

It's not on discogs and I've yet to see it mentioned anywhere online. Yet.
    This was the case with Aerosmith's Hot Rocks SACD, which later turned up somewhere. There's a thread about that in the forums.

24. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Please allow me to be imperfect now and then ;)

The_Windmill and mikaal like this.
  25. morgan1098

Thanks to this thread:
    1) I got a copy of the Catherine Wheel score on CD. It is excellent!!
    2) I discovered that my 2004 Another Green World digipak has the error. :( So now I will seek out a corrected version. Probably just keep the digipak for the artwork and find a 2009 jewel case version on the cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.