Brian Eno – Music for Installations boxed set (4 May 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

"‘Music For Installations’ is a collection of new, rare and previously unreleased music, all of which was recorded by Brian Eno for use in his installations covering the period from 1986 until the present (and beyond). Over this time, he has emerged as the leading exponent of “generative” music worldwide and is recognised as one of the foremost audio-visual installation artists of his time.

Eno’s visual experiments with light and video have proved to be the fertile ground from which so much of his other work has grown and they cover an even longer span of time than his recordings, paralleling his musical output in recent decades. These highly-acclaimed works have been exhibited all over the globe - from the Venice Biennale and the Marble Palace in St. Petersburg to Beijing’s Ritan Park and the sails of the Sydney Opera House.

Designed by Brian and long-time collaborator Nick Robertson, this beautifully bound, 6CD package comes with a 64-page booklet featuring rare and unseen exhibition photographs and a new essay written by Eno."

Welcome to the official Brian Eno web store

6CD set £54.99 or deluxe version £350

Or vinyl £160

2. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

I am a fan but not sure about this, it's a high price for a lot of ambience. I did think The Ship was a beautiful package, but admit to not actually playing it often.

It also seems a bit odd to say that this is all about the visuals when it is primarily an audio package.

You could fit lots of ambience *and* visuals onto a single Blu-ray and maybe charge a lot less? Just a suggestion!

Tim

3. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Judging from the timings in the track list, "Kites II" and "Kites III" have switched places and titles.

Fullbug and Crimson Witch like this.
  4. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Oooh, my finger is hovering over the pre-order button right now. The super-deluxe looks absolutely beautiful but it's too rich for my blood; the standard edition looks perfectly adequate. I already have Making Space, Kite Stories and I Dormienti though, which somewhat lessens the urge to pick this up (all three are great though.) I wish we knew if this was going to be an Enoshop exclusive or if this will be available through regular retailers at a discounted price too.

Crimson Witch and Norco74 like this.
  5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

The deluxe version seems a tad pricey... maybe you could pay a little more and he could do an actual installation at your home.... ;)

6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

There was a "77 Million Paintings" MP3 that came with the CD-ROM. I guess the upcoming CD is simply a longer version.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

From memory, wasn't there a generative non-repeating piece that Eno had programmed for the Millennium Dome that was supposed to play continuously for like 400 years? That'd need a helluva box set.

Edit: no, got it wrong, it's by Jem Finer of The Pogues, and lasts 1,000 years.

Longplayer - Wikipedia

8. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Interesting I Will take The album home from My record shop in Hengelo when it's available And play It And when I like It I Will buy It.

9. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

$35.98 for a 6 CD set on Amazon seems pretty reasonable to me. Pre-ordered.

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I preordered mine, too. But just the cheap CD set. So, there's only two discs of new material here? Still seems kind of expensive to make fans buy the whole set just for those. Hopefully I can sell off the old 'Kite Stories', 'Making Space', 'I Dormienti' and 'Lightness' CDs for somewhat decent amounts. Unless these are new versions and I need to keep 'em? Also: I wonder why 'Civic Recovery Centre' and 'Clock Of The Long Now' aren't included? Seems like either of those would fit the theme more than 'Making Space.'

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  11. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Have I got this right? £350 for a 64 page book as an extra? Makes the Roxy Music super deluxe seem like bargain.

Crimson Witch and agn like this.
  12. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

hmmm i really like the ship. might have to look into the physical package as i have only listened via streaming

13. eatandoph

eatandoph Forum Resident

As far as I can tell the difference with the deluxe is the plexiglass cover; otherwise the book is the same for both CD versions.

Crimson Witch and ispace like this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Great - then I could finally get those Pella Windows put in...! :righton:

Crimson Witch and gregorya like this.
  15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Eno - "Music for Windows"..

oh wait, he already did that... ;)

16. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Great heads up, thanks. Pre-ordered mine from there as well.

I have never heard any of this material, so it seems like a good buy to me.

Crimson Witch and AZRunner like this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Pre-ordered from the US, since Amazon UK want TWICE as much.

18. agn

agn Forum Resident

I did the same thing. $450 for the deluxe box is absurd.

Crimson Witch and AZRunner like this.
  19. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I was considering the SD set until I re-read the listing. I thought that set came with the cds and the vinyl.
    That price seems very high.

20. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Yeah, that sounds cool. I saw two of his installations in the late 80s and loved them.

Crimson Witch, Maurice and AZRunner like this.
  21. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Should come in handy if I ever open my lo-flo Marble Palace to the public.

Crimson Witch and DHamilton like this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Brilliant. :laugh:

Crimson Witch and Strontian like this.
  23. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

A couple of summers ago I stumbled upon an installation of 77 Million Paintings at an art space near New York's Penn Station. Absolutely mesmerizing!

Crimson Witch and Chrome_Head like this.
  24. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

wife just ordered me the vinyl for my birthday.....and that's why i love her

25. I wonder if this will be on Spotify? The deluxe CD and LP sets look great but they are way too expensive for me. So its either the regular CD or streaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.