Brian Eno – Music for Installations boxed set (4 May 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Simon Heyworth would have been a more "sympathetic" choice, however those dr numbers are hardly obscene.

Jimijam likes this.
  2. Raf

Raf Senior Member

For those who have used the download card: are the regular album tracks 24-bit or 16-bit? (I know the bonus tracks are 24-bit.)

3. Y-me

Y-me Well-Known Member

from the start, when i first heard of this box, I thought it a bit mean to his loyal fans (the un-rich ones). I thought it'd be much better to release 3 double disc sets:

- 'M from I' / with 'M for FI'
    - '77 M' / with 'I D - Kites'
    - 'Light' / with 'M Space'

That way the Loyal ones can avoid doubling what they might already have. Maybe a Bonus Disc for a package with all 3 sets,,,
    AND what about them bonus tracks - why are they 'bonus' tracks ??? CD 1 'M from I' has a duration over 76 minutes, whereas CD 6 has a duration about 41 minutes - Why not put them two bonus tracks on CD 6 ??? Or is that too simple?

CD 5, Making Space...
    Doesn't really go with this set - I mean i absolutely love it - but it isn't "Music for Installations" - Instead: it's more like "music AT an Installation" - back in 2010 you could buy it (the CD) when you attended one of his Installations (or maybe it was a giveaway). the disc is much better suited for a bonus disc included with an upcoming release of an expanded version of 'Craft..Milk Sea'.

Also the Track "Five Light Paintings" is a bit out of place - Logically speaking (as in chronoLOGICally). It Dates from circa 1983-84... BUT OH YES!!! Finally! A good release of that track - I'm stoked! Previously it was only available as a (crappy / 160 kbs) MP3 when using Download code from the purchased book "Visual Music" - back then the track was refereed to as 'CAM'

Notes taken from the book:
    "This book is accompanied by an excerpt from CAM (Canada, Amsterdam, Milan), 1983-84, a previously unreleased composition by Brian Eno. The original composition was of indeterminate length and versions of it were included in many of his exhibitions between 1983 and 1995."

All other tracks on 'M from' and 'M for F' date in at 2017-2018 except one track ('Ritan Bells') which dates from 2005.

DarkSideOfTheMoo, Jimijam and Raf like this.
  4. At least on disc one ( I've only got this far ):"Music - 'From' - Installations" is what I get on the display screen of my Oppo DVD player. - Love the music! ...

5. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

Nice to see that CAM track released properly. I had the book for two years until I recently realized there was a download code for this track, and I was pretty disappointed that it was such low fidelity, as it's a great piece.

I agree, it would have been nice to break this set up somewhat to make it more manageable. I'd like to get it, but it's pretty expensive so I'll have to wait until I can get a deal.

I'd be interested to hear about the vinyl box and it's pressing quality.

6. Y-me

Y-me Well-Known Member

When I first read up on this (what was then an upcoming release), I originally thought "Five Light Paintings" was going to be an extended version of the Shutov track "Cavallino" - much like the extended version of "Alhondiga" (found on the bonus disc of the expanded Shutov release)...

This is what I had read [at EnoWeb]:
    "03: Five Light Paintings - Premiered at an installation by Eno called Pictures Of Venice at the Gallerie Cavallino, in Venice, Italy, 1985"

side / Note the conflicting info (?).
    - 'FLP' : "Premiered ... in Venice, Italy, 1985"
    - 'CAM' : "included in many of his exhibitions between 1983 and 1995"

'83 / '85 - What's a few years amoung freinds? ;)

But much to my surprise (and pleasure)!
    Turned out to be 'CAM' - the only difference (other than quality) is that 'FLP' fades out, the TINY-est bit (like a second or so), before 'CAM' fades out. 'FLP' is out before you hear what would be the next tones and notes play / In 'CAM' you can hear them super quietly at the last part of the fade. I prefer the 'CAM' fade.

The track is one of the five 'Thursday Afternoon' tracks released to date:

- 'Thursday Afternoon' video has 2 unique tracks - each very similar sounding to the CD track.

- 'Thursday Afternoon' the CD

- 'Mistaken Memories ...' video has 1 unique track that sounds more similar to 'FLP/CAM' than the CD track

- and 'FLP/CAM' which, just as the 'Mistaken M' vid track, sounds 'darker' than the 'Thurs-Aft' Vid or CD - I like to refer to these 2 tracks as "Thursday Evening"

"Who let the Dogs out?"

Have you noticed all the dogs barking??? They're on all 5 of the tracks mentioned directly above. So much so, it would be legit to credit them: "Background vocals: Spot, Rex and Buster" (I made up their names). So yeah, some of those sounds you thought were electronic instruments and/or treatments - aren't > they're dogs, actual dogs: barking and howling - straight too, unaltered or manipulated. No joke - listen closely - to the 'FLP/CAM' track, 'Thurs-Aft' (Vid or CD), and/or 'Mistaken M' ;)

Raf and Jimijam like this.
  7. Y-me

Y-me Well-Known Member

Hmm...

Also

The album "Making Space" has two tracks with music that was part of Brian's soundtrack for the video game Spore.

'Hopeful Timean Intersect'
    is a rework (more like a simple overdub of a few guitar notes / towards the end) of a track called 'Hopeful Timean' - found on Fripp & Eno's "Beyond Even" - Fripp & Eno's 'Hopeful Timean' is closer to the version used in the score for the video game - but even that one is a slightly different version.

Delightful Universe (seen from above)
    Sounds like it was made for Spore's Main menu (when you first startup the video game) - where the player gets an overview of the entire galaxy. But it seems like they opted for a less grandiose theme. Yet, about 35 seconds of this track (from the middle) was lofted and included in the game's score: looped to play until you click and advance (to walk on land).

That game, Spore, has about 20 CD's worth of Eno music, a lot of it generative - it's pretty cool. You can even play music engineer and create your own mix of Eno's generative music for your home planet and colony planets.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Raf likes this.
  8. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

How different is the box from the regular 6 disc version? How long are the bonus tracks? I'm considering picking this up..,

9. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

My copy was shipped this morning from CDJapan so I should have it by next week some time and I'll post up and differences here. According to their site two additional tracks are included. Originally I thought the CD version was going to be in a book style issue instead of the box that it is in.
    Here's an eBay seller with two pictures. Not too bad a bump up in price from what I payed (about $30 more all in). Also these are limited and of course the price is only going to go up.

Maurice likes this.
  10. Radio-Aktivität

Radio-Aktivität Forum Resident

jpc.de have the SHM-CD box for €105.99. If you sign up to their newsletter they send 10% off codes from time-to-time; I just received one a few minutes ago.

I've had a few things from jpc.de over the years and they are very good. Having said that, I am also aware that a number of people posted on another site complaining that orders they had placed for the jpc.de listed "Limited Edition", which they seem to have assumed was the Super Deluxe Box-Set with plexiglass book, at €44.00 were not honoured.

11. Y-me

Y-me Well-Known Member

@Radio-Aktivität
    your post makes me laugh - now I want to contact Opal Records directly and order the one-of-a-kind Super Ultimate Pinnacle Edition ;)

@Raf (and those with '77 million' interests)

I'm sure you know by now / but you did ask....

Disc 2: 77 Million Paintings
    - has a duration of (exactly) 44 minutes. I supose it is that short so that it nicely fits on 1 vinyl disc.

Before the release, I had wondered if they were going to make this track exacly 77 minutes. I thought that'd be cool: 77 minutes of 77 Million Paintings (that'd be a million paintings every minute ;) ).

I also wondered if the version on this 'M for I' set was going to be sourced from the app or directly from B's computer. It seems to be from the computer > thus making its overall sound quality much better, as the app's audio elements are lossy (MP3's).

Side / Odd enough, I think the release of 'Reflection' was sourced from the 'Reflection' app :(

I bring this up because I have questions. My '77 M' is the second editon with the DVD - on which B talks about the app, its images, the music and its inception. But the second half of the DVD is just the music and images - a demo - and a good duration too, IIRC about 20 minutes.
    And it might be sourced directly from the computer - It's sweet and better than the app / I like it more, as the version on the DVD does not have those abstract vocals intergrated - BUT IT'S MONO!!! wtFrankly I think that's darn near being a sin - a MONO DVD - around 2006???
    So here's the thing - do you have the first edition of '77 M'? - If so, is it without them heavily abstract treated manipulated vocal parts?

The 'M for I' set's version has them vocals - I wish it didn't - or at least I wish half of the track was without 'em.

And maybe let me know a little bit more 'bout that MP3 too (please)...

12. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I never owned either edition of 77 Million Paintings. The MP3 was given to me by a friend who had the second edition (I believe). The Read Me file said the MP3 was provided because the generative music software didn't work on Macs.

Anyway, I don't have the MP3 anymore (sorry), but I remember it was 256 kbps and about 30 minutes long. There was no portion where it goes quiet for a bit like the new version does near the 32-minute mark; pretty sure the MP3 fades out before that.

13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Two queations:
    1. Does the regular six-CD set contain ALL the music from the deluxe CD abd vinyl sets?
    2. Is the regular six-CD set unlimited and likely to stay on sale for a while? Or is that a limited edition too?

14. Radio-Aktivität

Beautiful ...

hutlock, Norco74 and jsb! like this.
  15. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Lovely, thanks for sharing that...

16. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I don't believe it! A Darren Locke unboxing vid and he didn't utter a word....thankfully :unhunh:

Max Florian and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  17. Radio-Aktivität

Modified Fishes 8:43
    Purple Zone 5:58

Maurice likes this.
  18. Radio-Aktivität

Some photos here; brian eno @ wolf's kompaktkiste

This guy has posted on another site that he got the plexiglass Super Deluxe Edition for €62.22!!! From amazon.de apparently.

19. Y-me

Y-me Well-Known Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    BRIAN ENO!!!

He's now as old as Stevie Nicks - and almost as old as I soon will be, in a few plus years

All the while (since the re-issue / expanded 2 disc version of 'Shutov') I've had this fantasy about a very different kind of "Music for Installations" Box Set...

As you all know, the 10 tracks that appeared on the original 'Shutov' album all were from installations - spanning about 5 years ('85-'90) - and if course they were all excerpts from generative works.

I can't help but fantasize about a Box Set release of five double discs (10 CD's in all) - where each individual disc contains an hour long (or more) version of a track featured on 'Shutov' - and the delux version, with all 10 CD's together (all 5 double disc sets) has a bonus double disc set:

--- Maybe with...
    CD 1 - (hour long) An Ending
    CD 2 - (hour long) Asian River
    --- or something like that

Anyhow - That's my birthday wish ;)
    For my fantasy box set, however, I don't think I would sacrifice the real 'M for I' box set (this one / just released) - But I prob would sacrifice the 'Shutov' Bonus disc for my fantasy box set :)

20. Y-me

Y-me Well-Known Member

Has anybody noticed the dogs yet (on them tracks I mentioned above)?

@Raf
    - Oh, and I took note of your avatar image of the kitty cat (again)...

Remember I mentioned the 2 tracks from 'Making Space' that have music from the Spore video game - Well, the game has 21 Alien themes. One of them seems to have vocals that are performed by a cat - upfront in the foreground too - but somewhat treated with effects it seems. Could be human, but probably a cat - I've heard cats go on and on with vocalizations just like in this Brian Eno Spore video game track:

Raf likes this.
  21. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Can anyone who has gotten the Japanese version of this set tell me if everything is in Japanese or are there English notes, etc?

22. Radio-Aktivität

You might be interested in this review .... Review: Brian Eno “Music For Installations” 9 LP box set

Jimijam likes this.
  23. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I received the Box from Japan yesterday and it is quite nice. I originally bought the UK version on Amazon and kept it to sell because of the killer deal I got on Amazon. The Japan SHM is a two piece box (UK version is a fold down box that is attached top and bottom. The SHM discs say so on the inner ring. Each disc has the colored sleeve plus protective poly sleeve for each. Little things but it is pretty cool. Plus the Japan box has a few extra tracks.

Maurice and Max Florian like this.
  24. Y-me

Y-me Well-Known Member

@Icenine1
    Are you able to answer pmckeeaalaska's question?

25. I just opened the SHM box today.

The 64 page booklet in English text is identical to the one included in the standard 6-CD set.

There is a 14 page booklet in Japanese text included as well. - On the last page of this booklet is info (in English text) on the two bonus tracks. - "Purple Zone" is the bonus track at the end Disc 5 (Making Space) - "Modified Fishes" is the bonus track at the end of Disc 6 (Music For Future Installations).

Maurice and Radio-Aktivität like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.