BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

One of the reasons I love this music forum is you get a first hand reference if the purchase is worthy or not. I don't mind at all spending money on an album if it is going to be good sonically. Reading this thread it looks like these pressings are not a revelation soundwise.

Passed on the Pearl Jam's and now these as well.

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

So far, I haven't seen any comment indicating these are an improvement over the 2004 DSD mastering. I may cancel my backorders.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  3. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

4. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Miles Showell said: "I’d never do a half-speed album from an over compressed, limited CD master. What’s the point? "

What about Exile On Main Street then? I find it hard to believe the source he used for the half speed wasn't the compressed Marcussen remaster.

Cassius likes this.
  5. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

It's looking like these four titles sold out very quickly on line with all the major vendors. I went to order the Warm Jets yesterday and alas no go. Time to go hunting:thumbsup:

6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I'm really bugged because I had it preordered for over a month and still didn't get one. I am now suspicious they don't bother to prioritize fulfillment in chronological order.

7. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

I called music direct it's not sold out, they haven't got their shipment

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just listened to Another Green World. Out of the 3 reissues, I rate them in this order....

1) Before and After Science/Another Green World (can't decide between these two)
    3) Taking Tiger Mountain

Joti Cover likes this.
  9. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

OK. Thanks for the good news. I don't know why they indicated "awaiting repress" on their site. I was thinking of calling too, but now I don't need to. :)

Alofter likes this.
  10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Norco74 likes this.
  11. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

From analog master?

richbdd01 likes this.
  12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Using high speed dubbing...

Trbnado likes this.
  13. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

I reached out as well to my local shop today, they called their distribution company because they have not received any stock as of yet also. They were told that the dc is expected to get nearly 675 copies but as of now 640 are already claimed.....so I expect if you didn't pre order it's going to get tough. It is also odd to me that Music Directs site is stating "Awaiting Repress" under all the titles vs the standard will ship in 3-5 weeks.

14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

"lool", come off it! :laugh:

15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

:rant:

16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Where is the consensus that these are not a worthy purchase? They sound pretty great to me...I can't imagine the originals being much better really...

17. DannyBoyNYC

DannyBoyNYC Forum Resident

I got all four. Already own Tiger Mountain and Before and After Science (since, like, 1982). Nice to hear a clean copy. First listen - the mastering is at least as good as the my old copies and the vinyl is clean w/o pops.

richbdd01 likes this.
  18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I'm ignoring you now! :laugh:

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Hey, that was actually my first ENO exposure. "Tiger Mountain" from the local library. On chromium cassette:edthumbs:

pigman and richbdd01 like this.
  20. JeffersonDD

JeffersonDD Forum Resident

FWIW I've only done the direct comparison with "Before and After Science".

Compared to an E.G. Edition (late 70s I think) and the other E.G. From the "Working Backwards" box set.

The Abbey Road 45 RPM is unequivocally superior, more full, lush and the low end is present and mixed well. I haven't compared to the DSD yet but IMHO that's an Apple / Oranges thing.

Glad I preordered these!

21. JeffersonDD

JeffersonDD Forum Resident

Plus one for this comment! I've been on a fools errand to get a "whisper quiet" copy of Ambient 2 (my favorite) and am on the fourth attempt, my copies of the other ambients and Appolo are better, but again, you need almost impossible to find versions for the ambient on vinyl.

Maybe the next round we can get 2T 15ips? Hell all Enos stuff started there;)

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  22. Weedies

Weedies New Member

Yes! Just received Taking Tiger Mountain as a gift and it's full of dropouts in the left channel. Mysterious and disappointing. I've subsequently tested my TT with other 45rpm reissues, including Here Come The Warm Jets, and no similar problems on those other discs. What could be the cause of this? Should I return and order from another seller? These came from Amazon US. Are these half-speed, 45rpm reissues manufactured in more than one location? So disappointed.

23. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Plenty available in Canada. Spotted in various local shops in Montreal/Ottawa and amazon.ca

24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Sounds like the tape-dropout previously reported?

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Listened to Warm Jets again, this time on headphones . There are some bad dropouts on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.