BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Yes, it's on mine too. This is why I say these things aren't pressed well; and that's at 45 rpm! There should be little or no noise at 45 rpm. I fear that if I return these for replacements, the replacements will sound the same. It's too bad because the mastering is actually very good.

Compare that to an old Japanese pressing where the music fades into total black.

Definitely a pressing defect, not on any of the other pressings.

Thanks for providing a vivid example!

mr.datsun likes this.
  2. tipustiger

tipustiger Well-Known Member

Thanks for responding! I'm not the only one who has this. I've filed a claim with Amazon as I didn't open this for a while (turntable being serviced) and its past the return date.

3. I've never heard that whooshing in any format (of this album) I've played. It's kinda cool {in a creepy sort of way} in that it's contained within the segue between 'Needle' and 'Paw Paw'.

It isn't right, though. Weird ...

4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Not cool...

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Poor old Warm Jets. It might be an odd album but if anyone thinks that horrble noise-fault is meant to be there, it most certainly isn’t!

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I had to return two for pressing issues but replacements fine. Optimal have the worst record recently for defective product but are great when they get it right.

richbdd01 likes this.
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yeah, really hit and miss. The Beck - Mutations reissue I picked up recently is about as perfectly pressed as it could be, completely silent. But someone had no fill on that so bad that it skipped so they are just really inconsistent at the moment. I dread getting something from them at the moment.

8. the avant-guvnor

the avant-guvnor Well-Known Member

As far as I am concerned, all 4 LPs exhibit pressing issues (I have had 3 different sets delivered and returned).

I have discussed these issues with the Abbey Road Store via email. There response was that after forwarding my concerns to the label, the label have advised that they have not had any other complaints. So, it seems nothing will ever be done and it is pot luck whether you receive a clean copy of any of the LPs.

9. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

The 33 RPM versions are $15.69 on Target.com
    w/ free shipping through December 23
    Target : Expect More. Pay Less.
    (for the others search “Brian Eno” and they’ll be at the top)
    Just ordered Another Green World because at that price I’m willing to gamble.
    I’ll still have the DSD CD if it’s noisy, and if it’s not I will be glad to listen to this album through the color of my analog rig.

uzn007 and Jerry James like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

In Utrecht one dealer had a whole box of sealed "Before & After Science" 2x 45's and sold them for 15€ each. I asked for the other three but he only had this. I considered it for a moment but thought I was good with my original.

11. BlueSpeedway

I’ve been listening to the 1LP 33s... compared Side 1 of Tiger Mountain so far, to two different Island 1970s presssings, the new one is much bassier. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s not a particularly nicely defined bassiness, it interferes a bit for me, eg with the bright choppy guitar riffs and squirming snakey refrain on Back in Judy’s Jungle, it’s all a bit boomy. Heard in isolation with nothing to compare I’d probably presume it was meant to be that bassy, but I must say it never was before, on CD or LP. NB this is through very neutral Grado phones and a tone bypassed amp.

I haven’t heard the 45rpm versions, but these 33s have Abbey Road matrices so are presumably the same mastering.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  12. BlueSpeedway

Listening to the 33rpm Warm Jets.... Paw Paw Negro Blowtorch, there’s some spaced out guitar riffing going on far left and far right.. and later joined by some bongos... you can hardly hear anything of them here. Same with the the subtle but distinct pre guitar solo wailing in the right channel on Baby’s on Fire... swamped by mid boom and bass, the subtle stuff going on the L-R channels was perfectly clear before. Everything is boomily bunched up in the mid range, those are just examples. Sounds nothing like any CD or LP I’ve had of Warm Jets. It’s nothing to do with the bizarre music, I know these albums inside out since I was 12 years old; they now sound somehow tight and off, and not how they did.

Neonbeam, Mateo Sanboval and uzn007 like this.
  13. BlueSpeedway

The start of The Great Pretender sounds like a scratchy acetate :eek:, turned it off. Is any of this familiar to what the 45rpm versions sound like?

14. BlueSpeedway

..although Warm Jets is IMO a decent buy for those who don’t mind that it sounds different to older LPs CDs and the 2004 CD, as I don’t hear anything like the awful problem at the start of The Great Pretender (Tiger Mountain, see above) on Warm Jets.

A good way to see what I’m on about with the sound otherwise, for those interested who don’t have other versions to compare, is to listen closely to Baby’s on Fire (Warm Jets): all those percussion sounds in your right channel, and intermittent bits and bobs in the left.. they’re there and cool, but they weren’t previously so indistinct.. the song always had the big doomy beat and insane Fripp guitar both in the middle of your head/ears, but that beat and Fripp dominate more here than before, presumably because the increased bass has made the doomy beat reaalllly big now. The sounds spread is not so wide or IMO powerful. That’s my gripe, although of course it doesn’t make Warm Jets not be still a cool album on this LP. But Tiger Mountain no: the Pretender problem makes it IMO not worth another thought I’m afraid. It needed repairing or something, whatever, terrible.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  15. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Great reviews, @BlueSpeedway! And much appreciated. I'd be interested to hear how owners of the 45rpm editions think this compares to their copies fro your descriptions.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  16. BlueSpeedway

Cheers, I’ll check out the Side Two sides of 33rpm Jets and Mountain if anyone’s interested, similarly Green and Science. I’m not going to ignore what I regard as negative aspects, but similarly positivity where it’s due.. the 1LP Warm Jets is a good buy in 2017 for those who want it on vinyl, at what will presumably be a saner price for most people than the 45rpm, and without the (IMO) absurd splitting of the sides of such fantastically sequenced and / or crossfaded albums. Mountain is a dud, unless you want to be saddled forever with the worst sounding The Great Pretender ever released!

17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reviews. I'd love to hear more from others... after all, everybody hasn't different tastes. :)

18. BlueSpeedway

I was trying to stick with comparison facts as I hear them, like the mid range bass increase and faulty sound on The Great Pretender: nothing really to do with taste :)

19. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Do the 33's come with download codes?

20. BlueSpeedway

The cool instant start, almost crossfade of Some of Them Are Old after Dead Finks Don’t Talk cuts out to its dead stop, is mercifully intact on the 33rpm, also for Some of Them Are Old into the Warm Jets title track.

It might have lost a bit of its wideness, deep but careful mix, but Warm Jets 33rpm 2017 is definitely a thumbs up. And, here’s some taste: what a fxjing brilliant piece of 1973 business it was.. ❤️

21. BlueSpeedway

Yes, via The Sound of Vinyl cards inside the sleeves. No idea at this point which quality or format they are in though.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's like cutting head noise on the pressing. I'm not sure why we didn't get this in the past but I'm noticing it between some tracks on quite a few pressings these days. I wouldn't count it as a 'fault'. Maybe old pressings had more surface noise between tracks so masking this. Anyway I suspect it is on the lacquer though could occur later in the plating process. Also could be the vinyl formula used. So many things can go wrong that QC won't pick up.

23. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

From your comments, I think that I will cancel my pre-order and wait for more reviews to come in. My expctations could be too high for what the current offer is and the 2004 DSD CD could just be what suits my listening taste. I already have those 4 (VG to VG+) so getting them on vinyl is not a case of do or die.

24. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

The 45s came with 16/44 lossless copies of the 2004 remasters, can't imagine they'd stray too far from that (and it's probably just the same files again).
    Which means at around $16 these will be solid deal if you don't own those on CD as they're perfect digital presentations. Even if the pressing isn't to your liking you can just listen to the FLACs and frame the cover :laugh:
    I'm hoping a solid outing from AGW though, should have it by the end of the week.

BlueSpeedway and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  25. BlueSpeedway

I should mention the 33s I have are for Europe. Presumably the download codes will be the same for the US as with the 45s?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.