Brian Jones at the Rock N' Roll Circus

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is this a Brian Jones composition?

Jayce likes this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It's that it sounds like a middling jamband instead of a concise rocking Stones track.

3. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

They were doing long jam tunes way before MT joined. Goin' Home ..

Dave Hoos likes this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Thought that worked much better than Knockin or Rambler

Crimson jon likes this.
  5. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Yeah. But to what use. Those jams were typically one-chord shuffles without any direction. Goin Home are plodding into infinity. Totally different from Rambler and Knockin', were they used the jam as a constructive part of the song.

Crimson jon and Dave Hoos like this.
  6. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Rumor says it is. Nothing proved. If it is, it's hardly a classic.

7. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Yeah, but gotta walk before you can run as they say.

MHP likes this.
  8. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident Thread Starter

I found these two quotes, thought they were interesting:

(Brian is) probably the one I've made most effort to get along with. When the [Beggar's Banquet] sessions started, he came to me and said he didn't think he would be able to contribute much. I didn't push him. I asked Mick what the situation was and Mick said: Look, you can't force him, but he'll be OK. And he was right. When we started working he really got into it and started to get excited, and he apologized to me for having had doubts at the beginning. Brian is very insecure. He has to have people around him all the time - and he has a lot of hang-ups. But when he's doing something that really interests him he's almost a different character. - Jimmy Miller, 1969

I'm very hung-up on electronic music at present. If there is not room to include it on our album [Beggar's Banquet] I would like to do something separately. - Brian Jones, May 1968

9. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Not to beat a dead horse, but there is nothing middling about "Can't you hear me knocking", and it is not even close to "jamband".
    It is tight musically.
    There is not any jamming.
    Not at all.
    Why judge that the Stones cannot stretch out a song or two ...in 1971.
    This song stands alone as is, and it is great Stones.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The few times I stayed awake til the end I was unimpressed

11. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

You seem to have rather conservative standards as to what is acceptable music. And as others have noted you are simply wrong to characterize that lead as jam band material. One song like Knocking is too much for you. Wow.

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Love when some bands do that stuff. Doesn't really fit the Stones. Detracts from their distinctive greatness. When I listen to the Stones the last thing I want to hear is long solos that have nothing to do with the song.

Fortunately they had good enough sense to only work with someone like MT for less than 10% of their career, and to keep him on a tight rein with limited input when they gave him some cameo spots recently.

13. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

What an awful point of view. I guess you don't appreciate people with talent playing a musical instrument.

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Don't appreciate folks that stick out like a sore thumb rather than sounding like part of ensemble. Stones greatness is about a unified sound. Not a lead guy show boating over a backing band.

Fullbug, beatstonemargo and TeddyB like this.
  15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Regarding Brian's playing in the mix of the Circus audio (that is, other than his slide on No Expectations and his maracas on Sympathy), is it any more audible on the 5.1 mix? As I recall the surround mix is essentially just the stereo plus a little ambience in the rear but perhaps some more guitar peeks out on JJF, PW or YCAGWYW in surround...or not.

I'm not able to check at the moment...

Incidentally, if I would love to see an edit of this show including the DVD extras (Taj Mahal, Julius Katchen, circus acts, etc).

16. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

That's the problem I have with The Taylor Years.
    Not as much weaving. That's what was great in
    the early years, someone would jump out in front
    and take the lead. Unfortunately, as Keith and
    others have said, that didn't last long. The weave
    years lasted between '62 and '65.

Sometimes the weaving between Richards and Wood
    recaptures that old band dynamic.

No weave jokes, thanks.

17. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Real shame he wasn't in good shape at that point. Still would've liked to hear the warts-and-all performance of him.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  18. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

I am always in the middle in the Taylor debates. I think on some things he was great and they were at their best , on other things his style hurt their sound. Lets face it Taylor like Jones has a cult within Stones fans. There are plenty of fans of both who get riled up if you don't fall in line with their hero. All in all I think the Taylor years were the best for the Stones but a lot of that has to do with Jagger/Richards song writing at that time. The later decline also mostly had to do with Jagger/Richards songwriting decline.

Members of the Jones cult are more bothersome then members of the Taylor cult to me.

Fullbug likes this.
  19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

To Me I prefer either Wood or Jones with them to Taylor. But not because I thing Wood and Jones are brilliant soloists, jist because they mesh well with Keith and call less attention to themselves.

mdm08033 likes this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

They just played that one song, but did a few takes

21. Oh come on can I do one, please? ;)

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Also interesting that this song was played there though it wasn't on Beggars Banquet but on the next year's album.
    Obviously the song was originally part of Banquet and the band chose to rework the studio version later.

notesfrom likes this.
  23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

When I listen to the Some Girls outtakes, I think that their late 70’s songwriting is almost as great as the Beggars - Exile period. They just didn’t choose the right songs to release (esp on Emotional Rescue).

Anyway, I love these Mick Taylor arguments because I get to post “Travelin Man”. The greatest unreleased music ever.

24. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I enjoy Taylor’s playing but based on the visuals of Ladies and Gentlemen, he had all the stage presence of a 1990’s Showgazer.

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I saw them in 73 at the age of 12, and visually, I thought they were perfect. Mick and Keith all over the place, Wyman and Taylor glued to their spots on stage. The sound of those guitars in the small 6500 seat arena in Hawaii is something I’ll never forget. Taylor’s guitar was really loud in the mix - it just soared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.