Brian Jones

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old school

old school Senior Member

You call that articulating? There is no articulating period just somebody loosing there temper! And I happen to be on the other end of this rant.

2. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

No, that's not my view, and never has been.

I don't intend to respond further. You have a firm opinion, as indeed I do, and this thread is starting to get a little too heated. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine.

old school and Dave Hoos like this.
  3. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

u are indeed...

blackdograilroad likes this.
  4. muffmasterh

I very much agree with you there....aart from about watching the Aussie footie match though lol

Hammerpeg likes this.
  5. muffmasterh

i did not detect anybody losing their temper in that post, maybe i missed something, bottom line is we are taking the view that after 1965 Brian was not longer the most important member of the Stones because he could not write songs, others seem to be taking the view being able to write those great songs is not as important as i and others seem to think. I find that position a bit bizarre but it is just a difference of opinion, i detected no loss of temper , however I am not sure if the comment " And don't ever take that tone with me ever you understand? " was genuinely meant to be threatening or was meant tongue in cheek. I accept it was not directed at me but thats not really the point...

6. old school

old school Senior Member

Please I have no interest in responding to you. You have your opinion I have mine. If you start a post that says for Christ sakes that does not sound like being hostile to you? I never threatened anybody! I'm saying to that person don't take that hostile tone with me period. You sir just want to make trouble to enforce your opinion. As I said I have no interest in responding to you! We stated our opinions and it's over as far as I'm concerned.

7. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

No, but it is going on my summer reading list. No point in reading "Ronnie" again.

8. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

It's very good. Incredibly well researched and very even handed in it's approach. It goes into Jones' flaws as well as his strengths.

9. chodad

chodad Hodad

Just picked up this book at the local library. Can't wait to get into into it.

10. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

I'm reading it now. Seems very good.

There are a myriad of books on Jones- I wonder if anyone would recommend any others?

11. Dave Hoos

Enjoy the read.

12. Dave Hoos

In my opinion, this is the best one yet and by some margin.

recroom likes this.
  13. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I'd like to contradict in this particular case. In the few existing live videos of the Stones with Brian Jones, for example "Charlie is my Darling", it's interesting to watch, that usually every solo of a song is played by Keith Richards. While Brian Jones delivers the rhythm. I don't doubt that he had a good hand in getting a useful tune out of various instruments in the studio. But in terms of guitar Keith was the defining player on stage in the early days.

14. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I prefer mick taylor and ronnie wood.

Exile, sticky fingers, and B&B.

Do like satisfaction and a few earlier ones..

15. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Doing the guitar solos doesn't make him the best musician or even guitarist in the band. Was Paul a better musician than George? Absolutely. And in the early days guitar solos were not the defining characteristic of a group's musicianship, unlike later when Jimi and Clapton and Beck became so well known for their lead guitar prowess.

Hammerpeg and Dave Hoos like this.
  16. Dave Hoos

I depends a lot on what song they're playing. Jones was an excellent slide guitarist, way better than Richards, whereas Richards was the superior soloist. Jones was also a brilliant harp player...as well as being proficient on saxophone, piano, organ and with the ability to pick up just about any instrument and be able to play it well within a relatively short space of time. I stand by my claim that Jones is the superior musician, but Richards became the superior guitarist. Except when playing slide.

17. Dave Hoos

Exactly. I think Jones' rhythm playing is easily the equal of Richards. Richards became a better player as the years went on, where Jones seemed to lose interest in the guitar in favour of other instruments, which was a great pity.

18. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

For a start it would be great if you wouldn't take things so personal. It was not meant as a personal insult and my post was not pointed or aimed at you only. Please, calm down and don't threat me.

19. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Yes, Andrew Oldham's book "Stoned". A very personal insiders view from someone who was there and also explains why he made crucial decisions. And it stands in stark contrast to Trynka's book who wants to put Jones on the trone for whatever prize.

Fullbug likes this.
  20. muffmasterh

check post #405, I took it the same way you did.

21. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

...and we always praise Mick Taylor as the best guitarist in the band because of his rhythm work....:rolleyes:

mando_dan likes this.
  22. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I was talking about the early days before guitar hero worship with Jimi, Beck and Clapton became commonplace. And I don't think anyone would say Keith's solos in the 63-66 period are anywhere near the quality of Mick Taylor's after he joined the band.

23. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

How about a nod to Ian Stewart, co-founder of the Stones? Talk about a snake pit of a band. Brian told Stu when he was kicked out that he'd still get paid the same. This did not happen. Stu, needless to say, was no Brian fan. Stu, of course, outlasted Brian and Andrew and continued to work for his "little three chord wonders."

Not to get OT, but just pointing out that the early Stones were well versed in intrigue and ambition. "Game of Stones."

muffmasterh, Tristero and Dave Hoos like this.
  24. Dave Hoos

Don't you think that Mick Taylor's playing is on a slightly different level than Keith's. Just playing the solos doesn't mean that you're the best guitarist in the band. Playing the solos like Mick Taylor, however, does mean that you're the best guitarist in the band.

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Not to mention the fills and slide guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.