Brian Wilson biopic: Love and Mercy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

BOOM!

[​IMG]

minerwerks likes this.
  2. Jason Manley

Just a head's up that the "Love & Mercy" Soundtrack is available today, digitally. iTunes, Google Play, Amazon and others have it available, also Pono Music has it as a 16/44 download.

Maggie and minerwerks like this.
  3. Jason Manley

Heads up, it's August 25th and Love & Mercy is now available for download on iTunes, Google, Amazon. I've just completed the download from iTunes and I'm going through the Extras. I won't spoil anything for anyone but there are 4 Deleted Scenes and they are all very strong but I see why they were trimmed. Looking forward to a deeper dive in the coming days.

Sammy Banderas, Doctorwu and Vidiot like this.
  4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Just saw this last night at our neighborhood 2nd run movie theater.
    Wow, I had no idea. I have never understood the whole Brian Wilson/Beach Boys sector of this forum....but think I now have at least an inkling. And can't believe I'm saying this, but will now make an effort to explore/listen.

What is this forum doing to me! (Actually, in this case, it was a PBS podcast Brian Wilson interview that spurred my interest. I had successfully resisted the forum. :D )

goodiesguy, Dee Zee, davenav and 2 others like this.
  5. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Shame they couldn't use this great artwork for the DVD/BR packaging.

6. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Agreed, but if you're skilled with Photoshop and have a nice printer this problem could be solved.

MRamble likes this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

If memory serves, that session tape is the basis for an entire scene in the "An American Family" TV movie. It's been years since I've seen it, but I was already familiar with that session, and was surprised how much they lifted from it verbatim.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

when does the DVD/Br come to street?...

10. Michael

I want this on home video!

11. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Purchased through Amazon Fire TV yesterday and watched it twice. Dano's performance was pretty astonishing and really captured the essence of Brian.

Cusack did a fine job as well, it's just hard seeing as anyone but Lloyd Dobler in Say Anything. I will say the scene with Melinda and Landy and the hamburger almost had me in tears to think of the way Landy treated Brian. He may not look anything like Brian, but he had his mannerisms and way he carries himself down pat.

Excellent recreation of the vibe of the studio sessions, and they touched on most of the high points of the time without getting into the minutia that us fans would like to see that the general public wouldn't get.

Zeki and davenav like this.
  12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

musicfan37 and Zeki like this.
  13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I think that would have been the only time his mother would have been shown (in that edited out clip). Or did she appear somewhere else?

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

September 15th.

15. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

She was shown offstage watching a concert, but no dialogue. Joanna Going is a successful TV actress. Unusual to have a bit part.

Zeki likes this.
  16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

That movie is available online on www.Crackle.com if you'd care to revisit it. It's a free service with commercials. Widescreen, too!

Harry

Michael and MRamble like this.
  17. Michael

thanks Harry!

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Zeki likes this.
  19. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

In the movie Brian's father sells the rights to their songs to A&M. What does this mean? Does A&M own the songs?

20. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

They own the publishing rights, but not the actual recordings, I think.

Electric likes this.
  21. Electric

I thought the most amusing part of the movie was when Mike Love, I think it was, tells Brian something like, "Who do you think you are, Mozart?" Anyone recall the exact words?

22. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Wow. That Mike Love is a JERK! :hide:

23. Electric

I'd say he comes off in the movie as a real pain in the a$$.

24. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The day after it comes to boulevard..

25. Jason Manley

Mike: "We need to write some of the old stuff again. Fellas? That's all I'm saying."

Brian: "The old stuff is old! I can't go back in time! We're not surfers, we never have been and real surfers don't dig our music anyway."

Dennis: "They don't."

Brian: "Okay, I can't write about the summer & fun, summer & fun, summer & fun and cars. I've got different stuff inside of me. I've got to get it out!"

Mike: "Geez, would you listen to yourself. 'You gotta get it out'; who are you, Mozart?"

goodiesguy, Murph, Zeki and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.