Brian Wilson Live at the Venetian

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dudley07726, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

I have to laugh, everyone was all over Mike for stopping the reunion tour when Brian still wanted to stay together and tour, but now people are talking like he doesn't want to tour and is being forced. Which is it, folks? As Carl Wilson liked to say, " Brian is just Brian, ya know." Brian gets stage fright and looks like a bump on a log and yet at times can become very engaged. From everything I read, for the most part Brian enjoys touring and he should continue to do it until he decides that he has had enough. The venues that he plays are big enough to hold his fans and those that have an issue with his mental disabilities can either stay home or go see someone else more to their liking. I will say this, watching on TV is a different experience than actually being there.

2. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Looks like a twin of Keef. Blondie

3. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Rather watch the genius than the clown.

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Everyone with some knowledge about Brian Wilson knows that the stage ain t his favourite place to be. However he s been out there performing now for more than 15 years.
    Obviosly Brian is a person that has lot s of issues-not to mention what he have gone through in the past
    Personally I love the music of Brian Wilson-including his last album. Saw him live some years ago giving one remarkable 2 and a half hour show were he at the start obviously was not feeling well but right at the end were very happy and seemed like he sort of enjoyed the show
    So imo the OP breaks into a territory that most people already are aware of. But what Brian really feel only he and those close to him know.

5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

For many years only Brian and Dr. Landy knew what Brian felt, as well. Brian possessing an inner circle doesn't necessarily mean that Brian is heading in the right direction or is making wise decisions.

6. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Despite the endless stream of psychoanalysts on these BW threads, no one really does know what goes on in his mind. I was surprised to find he's played a few gigs this month. I had the impression his daughters whisked him away from the spotlight after recent negative publicity. Possibly to persuade him to take a break.

I guess he does what he wants when he wants. With supervision.

The last time I saw the BBs was in 1977. Guess it was the toward the end of the Brian's Back carnival. I had a good view of everyone from about 20 ft away. BW's playing and singing were discernible. Though not his best voice, he was hittin' the notes. But there was no joy; he just sorta looked straight ahead and did his job. I knew this would be my last time seeing them.

It was actually a decent show, with a well-rounded setlist. Carl and Al did the heavy lifting. Mike was just sorta there. Dennis was zonked. But with all those issues, they stood up and played.

Bill likes this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

True-but we really don t know. I am definitively sure there is an inner circle around Brian but if they are there to aid him or benefit from him I don t know. What I do know is that Brian Wilson is a man who for decades have been plagued by mental disorder, drugs and abuse from other people. The fact that the man is still alive and obviously having some of his creativity intact is nothing sort of miraculous .
    If he tours and records by his own choice or others is beyond my-and any other members here-knowledge. I don t wanna speculate in these things either and certainly don t wanna judge anyone.
    I just enjoy the music that still comes from this troubled man that have given us so much joy and experienced so little of it himself.

oldsurferdude and coffeetime like this.
  8. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Seeing Blondie, Ricky, Brian, and Al together blowing 42 years of dust off "Hold On Dear Brother" was the highlight for me. I wish Blondie would have sung it. What a great song.

Dr. Mudd and Larry Geller like this.
  9. S. P. Honeybunch

The only person that I know that has taken advantage of or abused Brian was Dr. Landy. At a minimum, it involved Landy taking advantage of Brian's finances.

Of course, Brian's unique non-touring role in the band for most of the band's history from 1963 onward gave him much more free time than the rest of the band to get into trouble with other characters and charlatans in L. A. This freedom, combined with his wealth and desire to rebel against his father's advice was a bad combination of elements. Recreational drug use is not a plague for Brian Wilson if he knows that it is wrong for his life and he keeps indulging in it. Brian is clearly responsible for every danger that Murry warned Brian about and which Brian indulged in regardless.

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Of course Brian has a responsibility for his indulgences. But he can hardly beld responsible for his mental disorder and illness. From what I have read I would call some of his fathers doins abusive

11. S. P. Honeybunch

How did Murry abuse him?

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

But we also know that Brian gets a lot of satisfaction from the positive reception of his latest albums, certainly including the current one. And this would not be happening to the same extent if he wasn't willing to get out and promote them.

13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There are many stories concerning this from all kind of sources. Murray is rumoured both to have hit his son but also being abusive in a phsycological way. I have no idea of the truth in these stories but I can t believe you never have heard or read about these matters. Catch a wawe is a good autobigraphy about Brian that deal with these matters

coffeetime likes this.
  14. S. P. Honeybunch

You are inferring that Murry did something back in the day to cause Brian to have trouble in the present day. Draw a link between something that Murry did and Brian's current mental state or don't speculate at all.

There is no evidence that Murry did anything other than spank his sons. I know that for some that equates to abuse, but millions of parents have spanked millions of highly functioning Americans with no mental side effects. If you want to draw a specific link between psychological abuse and Brian's current situation, have at it. Make sure that you are specific with drawing a connection between the abuse and the psychological result in Brian. Otherwise, there is no point in you trying to make such an inferrence.

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Spanking a child is -imo -abuse -no matter what opnion you have about it. In many countries(including mine) it s illegal.
    I have never written or said anything concerning Murrays impact on his sons mental disorder. Since you claim that go ahead and show a quote from me making such a claim
    End of this pointless discussion for me

16. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

I read that he didn't even speak to Jeff Beck when they were touring.

17. S. P. Honeybunch

18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Just because I said Brian can t be hold responsible for his mental disorder doesn t mean his father should be blamed. Iv never said that.
    I mentiined his father being abusive because you asked who else but dr Landy had been abusing Brian
    Better read the postings more careful before you accuse fellow posters
    Besides I made it very clear I don t know what truth lies in the stories concerning Brians father In all honesty I don t care either

19. S. P. Honeybunch

It's a good thing that other countries don't determine what constitutes abuse in America. We have our own laws, independent of the rest of the world.

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Never said anything in opposition to that. But I personally know americans who think it is abuse when a grown man hits a child. You don t share that opinion - no problem for me

Calico likes this.
  21. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

there are some videos of Brian playing piano and singing on his Facebook page but I can't figure out how to post them here. They are from the Love & Mercy wrap party. It's nice hearing him do it but I think live he likes everything to sound more polished...

22. S. P. Honeybunch

It's not "hitting". It's discipline.

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Lucklily enough most grown people on the modern society don t share your opinion here

24. S. P. Honeybunch

I'd appreciate it if you would speak in a specific manner, rather than throwing out generalities. The topic is America and Brian Wilson, not the rest of the world or "modern society", a phrase that means nothing.

25. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Please don't play dumb and pretend you aren't aware of the abuse stories regarding Murray and Brian Wilson. Brian has spoken about it many, many times , and he wasn't talking about spanking.

Here's literally the first quote I found from Brian when looking up the subject. The severity of the abuse is probably up for debate, but you asked Begamus "how did Murray abuse him"?

Here's one way :

Brian Wilson remembers his childhood with mixed feelings, once telling an interviewer, "I had a good childhood—except for my dad beating me up all the time."

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    oldsurferdude, Tristero, gd0 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.