Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure - 17th April 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. belardd

belardd Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.com/No-Pier-Press...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1412020847&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/No-Pier-Press...e_1_lp_?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1412020884&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/No-Pier-Press...-fkmr0&keywords=brian wilson no pier pressure

producer: Wilson; contributors: Jeff Beck, former Beach Boys bandmates Al Jardine and David Marks, Don Was, Jim Keltner; guests: Lana Del Rey, Kacey Musgraves, Zooey Deschanel, Nate Ruess of Fun

possible track list
    Right Time - AJ Lead Vocals
    Run James Run - AJ Lead Vocals
    Last Song - LDR
    On the Island - Zooey
    Sharing a New Day - Kacey
    Guess You Had to Be There - Kacey
    Special Love - Frank Ocean
    Sail Away - ??

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Wary of this one. Brian Wilson doesn't need all of these duets. He should've recorded a Beach Boys-esque solo album utilizing male harmony singers.
    I also think that's a pretty lame album title/wordplay. Nothing about this album bodes well (for me personally, anyway).

3. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

I see Jeff Beck is on there.
    I have no idea why they pack it with guest stars as if it was going to sell a million records.

Boris number 9 likes this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Lady Gaga wasn't available ? I'm out. :D

5. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Well, I suppose because Brian Wilson is a major legend and pretty much anyone would jump at the chance to work with him regardless of the paycheck.

6. Of course. But Brian should know better. He really hasn't handled his solo career very well. He's mostly wasting his talents. "Brian Wilson" and "Smiley Smile" are worthy of him, but his other album releases are so hit-and-miss that it frustrates me to no end.

7. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

If thats the case they should have got some A listers. I dont know if his solo work deserves the 'legend' tacked on to it, its pretty mediocre.

ippudo and Zack like this.
  8. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Nate Ruess of Fun

[​IMG]

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I give him points for the album title, at least.

I like Zooey and Kacey a lot, so this could be interesting, depending on how good the songs are.

10. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

You mean to say that BW does NOT sing the lead vocal on any of these?

11. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Where is an official press release?

12. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

So I'm guessing Auto Tune will be on at least one of the songs?

13. amcaudio

amcaudio Forum Resident

14. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

It's not easy being a Beach Boys fan.

I liken it to being given a horrible present from a relative. You can't really say that it sucks, and in some ways, you feel bad that said person close to you has such a tenuous grasp of reality. It's as if the onus then gets put on you to find something, anything good about it.

To see BW Clivedavised into this album makes me sad. Like so, so many BB-related projects before, during and after this, I'll listen with an open mind. For all the Autotuned slickness of the last BB's LP, I really did enjoy it and hope that TWGMTR was not just a fluke.

Dan

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Who's to say if Brian didn't really want these people on his record? Maybe they are like a bunch of surrogate Beach Boys since he can't work with Mike.

Or...with the impending Wilson bio-pic and autobiography, perhaps this is the brain-trust's attempt at hitting one final home run with an album of high profile guests. It can win a grammy like Ray Charles' "Genius Loves Company", which also delivered a one-two punch of movie and guest star album product.

At any rate I have been assured by people in the know who I trust that this is an album of very strong material and that the collaborations are legitimate instances of inspiration. So I will wait and hear for myself. I am a Lana Del Rey fan, so her presence is welcome. I just hope the record doesn't stray too far from what Brian does best in order to reach the brain dead masses.

The quirky title gives me hope for a Love You 2.0 adventure. It's that wheatgerm drink he's been using. It's recharged his mind somehow. Anything is better than hollow Gershwin/Disney product. This will be fine.

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I get the impression that Zooey is a serious fan of Brian's classic work. I can think of worse people for him to collaborate with.

17. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I guess in keeping with the 'Pier' theme, Brian thought he needed some dinghies.

But seriously, I'm looking forward to it! Hopefully we'll get the rest of the suite that wasn't included on TWGMTR...

On works like this, would you list it in iTunes under the name of the lead singer, or the album producer. I'm leaning towards lead singer. I don't list any songs with Phil Spector as the artist (at least that's my thinking).

18. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

these type of albums are rarely any good. if Jeff Beck is right BW probably had little to do with this album..

vonwegen likes this.
  19. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Man, I hear you, and yes his legend was cemented multiple decades ago. Still, for a very long time he was the last 60s icon that I thought would ever be so active into his 60s and 7os. But moments like, you know, like grown men weeping in the audience at the early BWPS shows, make it worth slogging through crap like the Disney thing. With Brian Wilson and all these old geezers, would we prefer the alternative, which is nothing? Maybe I'm just a sentimental middle-aged git, but I'll take what I can get.

Solace and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  20. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Brian's Facebook has been posting pictures of him singing in the studio for a couple years now.
    So he must have some leads on there somewhere.

21. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

How about stepping away from the negativity vortex until you actually hear the damn thing?

762rob, Will Harris, mrdon and 8 others like this.
  22. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

LOL ok hoping Jay Z and Kayne West are also added on there. and a couple of DJs too, we cant leave them out.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Personally, I'm surprised to see a vocal version of "Run James Run" though I haven't followed recent Beach Boys history very closely so it could very well be old news.

longaway likes this.
  24. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Remember that the listener reserves the right to copy and paste Mike Love vocals from stack-o-vocals onto Brian Wilson solo work as he sees fit.

25. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

It's amazing how totally negative people can be about an album they not only haven't even heard, but one on which they have the sketchiest of information.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.