Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure - 17th April 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Yeah...that was the thing that really caught my eye. Odd.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

He just recycled the title. It's not the "Pet Sounds" track. It's something new.

Whereas "Summer Means New Love" is a remake of the old instrumental track with new lead vocals.

theMess, Hep Alien and Maggie like this.
  3. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Yes! This album should certainly be totally condemned and Brian should definitely be hung out to dry before anyone gets to hear it. Yes, that's the ticket. How could it have the slightest chance of having any quality whatsoever without myKe luHv's lyrical input or bow, bow, bows??:yikes: Isn't it better to just write if off now??:shrug:

Lost In The Flood and rstamberg like this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Way too many guest vocalists. However, I'm still cautiously optimistic. That fact that some of the Jeff Beck tracks survived is a positive thing.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. I'm a sentimental, middle-aged git myself ;). I LOVE Brian Wilson (and The Beach Boys). I just wish he'd put his talents to better use regarding his solo career.

Zack likes this.
  6. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

sheesh he's seventy freakin years old and he writes ornate vocal music. he probably wants some more muscular voices to do the heavy lifting. I know Zooey did an interview with him a few years back and he listened to a She & Him record and was impressed with her singing. Seems like a natural collaboration. Let's just hear the tracks!!!!

Folknik likes this.
  7. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

I'm excited to hear the Lana Del Rey and Zooey tracks! I'm a big fan of them both and a huge BW/BB fan so those two are fantasy collaborations come true to me.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I was gonna say ...

9. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I like Brian and in fact I love him and his music.

Nothing can take away what he has already done for music, but to expect a man at his age, with all his challenges in life, to 'deliver' a masterpiece, is downright unfair.

Let him do what he wants. Like it or not. He IS a musical genius no matter how many records he will make, which isn't up to his former achievements.

10. Daniel Plainview

We don't know that for sure yet. Last I heard they were all nixed.

11. Daniel Plainview

I went ahead and preorderd the vinyl and the deluxe CD as I no longer believe any stores in my vicinity will carry this damn thing. It's a nightmare. I remember getting to Borders at 9 am back in '98 for Imagination (and the Genesis Archives box too!). Now I show up at FYE and Best Buy and they just shake their heads at me. *sigh*

12. Sweet Insanity had scads of guest vocalists and it's marvelous.

It's been a long time since then however.

13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

a little let down

14. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Here's an idea. If it's got Summer Means New Love and Run James Run on it why not put lyrics to Diamond Head and Let's Go Away For Awhile, maybe Carl's Big Chance and Denny's Drums :p

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Supposedly there was more material associated with that 3 song suite at the end of the last Beach Boys album, which I thought was quite brilliant. Yes, I know some people weren't impressed, but that is immaterial to my curiosity regarding whether or not if any of the unreleased portions of the suite will appear on the new album.

17. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I'm intending on getting it. I like the roster of singers and glad some Jeff Beck material is there. Okay, so albums like this usually bomb. Stuff happens. Still essential to have.

[​IMG]

Wuht? We like, got some teen mom show on dee vee dee like over there. That wat you meen?

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Didn't some insider type confirm here that this was NOT a duets album?

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I thought they were all nixed as well, but the first post on this thread showed Beck as a "contributor." Hope some of it survived.

20. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I'm not enthusiastic, but I also think of how much Brian Wilson-related stuff I've bought over the years because he's on the track somewhere, maybe singing harmonies, or a line or two somewhere. This is an album where Brian Wilson is at least the main attraction.

How many of us love Spring even though it's been pretty much confirmed that Brian isn't as major a player on that album that we used to think he was?

I think that the album could be just fine if the songs are really good.

Hep Alien and marshmallowpie like this.
  21. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

These days, everyone is making a duets album. Just heard the new Smokey Robinson duets CD and it's a similar situation. Still, most of you know how I feel about the Willie Nelson duets albums; I prefer to hear albums of new material with just him and the band.

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I'm still awaiting Brian & Van Dyke's
    follow up to SMiLE

Folknik and gramfan like this.
  23. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Uh

None of these links work

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me personally I have no interest in this album...I'm sure there are many who will love it...I cannot judge it nor should anyone else without hearing it, but that's par for the coarse these days...

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I can't think of any "good" albums that utilize the 1 song per artist duet or guest vocalist format. Eve the half decent ones are still curiosities/marketing exercises hat sometimes sell well and sometimes bomb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.