Brian Wilson's "Smile" live gets good reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dgsinner, Feb 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member Thread Starter

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I read about some possible US dates in the fall. I think the idea is to get a "live" Smile in the stores in time for the US shows. I hope it's true...I want to see this show!

3. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

I went on Saturday

absolutely incredible - Brian is the greatest writer/producer/arranger ever- In my opinon he had/has more talent than all the Beatles put together.

There were camera's everywhere so expect DVD - if recorded well it will sound incredible.

For the first few songs there were just two acoustics., a bass and some woodwind, and 10 incredible voices, including a version of Hawaii that just bought the BIGGEST SMILE to my face.

Then a few hits and new songs with the full band - then the break then SMILE -

just superb entertainment. - I can't wait for the CD or DVD - go if you can.

Tim

4. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I was pleased and shocked out of my gourd when Brian did a mini-preview of Smile live on Conan in July 2001, the show in which I was the first stand-by ticket holder not to get in!
    He did My Prayer and Heroes and Villains.

5. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Listening to the London performance from 2/24/04 on CD-R, I'm most impressed with Brian Wilson's vocals. I have not been so impressed with the Roxy and Pet Sounds vocals, where he sounds strained and frankly, not so great. On this set, he is much more in synch with the band, blending in naturally and harmonically in great form. The music is awesome, of course but Brian rises to the occasion. Which may say a lot for the music he is singing to. Gorgeous, not always easy, but challenging in a comfortable way.

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

According to a post on his web site, apparently Brian and band will go into the studio in April to record a version of Smile for release in the fall, and a live DVD is planned for next year.

I've also heard one of the circulating audience tapes, and I was much more impressed than I'd expected to be. Quite something to finally hear some of these things we've been listening to all these years, but finally with a sense of context, rather than just a series of ideas and fragments. Even if a bunch of new composing was done to tie the pieces together, it sure throws a lot of those arm chair quarterback therories about the piece out the window.

7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Apparently the post in question was a hoax and nothing has been announced regarding a new studio version of Smile.

8. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I am curious about the band The Wondermints that he's working with. I have heard good things about them but don't think I have ever heard their stuff. Is there a place where I should start?
    Thanks-
    Norm

9. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

http://earcandy_mag.tripod.com/smileliveRFH2-21-04.htm

GREAT article at the link above about the Smile concerts. Lots of fascinating talk from current BW band members about how the live arrangements compares to the '66-'67 stuff in the vault. According to the article while listening to some October '66 Child Is The Father Of The Man vocal multitracks they were able to isolate some headphone bleed and discern unheard and unbooted vocals and backing tracks :eek:

10. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Norm, unfortunately The Wondermint's great self-titled debut is out of print in the USA, but it's been reissued in the UK, and it's where I started listening to them around the time they started touring with Brian:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_3/002-7581548-5452018?v=glance&s=music

It's a good entry point. Their follow-up's, Bali. and their latest, Mind If We Make Love To You aren't as accessable, but if you like the debut, you'll find them a worthy listen.

There's also a great all covers album they did at the request of their Japanese label, Wonderful World Of Wondermints. Looks like it's completely out of print now, but has some very authentic, well done versions of The Monkees' "Porpoise Song," Paul Revere & The Raiders' "Louise", Pink Floyd's "Arnold Layne," and Brian's "Guess I'm Dumb," among others. It's a fan favorite, even if the band doesn't count it as a "real" album.

11. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Yeah, I'm not sure I'll buy this DVD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.