Brian Wilson's SMiLE vs Beach Boys' 2011 SMiLE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DarkAudioHorse, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkAudioHorse

DarkAudioHorse New Member Thread Starter

Now that we have both, how do they compare? Which versions of the songs do you prefer from each?

Do you have a place for both of them in your collections?

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Beach Boys shut out BWPS.

3. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

While I prefer the Beach Boys version, I totally understand why some people would like BWPS more and will respect their opinion...

longaway and D.B. like this.
  4. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

They each have their merits and they "need" each other.

:love:

5. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

To me they stand side by side, like columns at the entrance to a glorious musical temple.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I much prefer the vocals on the 1966 boxed set, no question. I think Mark Linnett's production on the 2004 version is infinitely cleaner and sounds better, but if you just judge the original SMiLE by 1966 standards, it's an extraordinarily sophisticated, interesting album. Both weird as hell, though -- too avant-garde and uncommercial for me, for the most part.

Simon A and somnar like this.
  7. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

The creepy, psychedelic atmosphere of Smile is almost completely absent on BWPS.

8. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

I love them both, there are elements on BWPS that increase it's cohesiveness, that gives it a slight edge, except for the obvious use of electric keyboards rather than actual pianos.

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I consider Brian's 'Smile' to be the definitive version because it's a completed work. The Beach Boys version is as completed as it'll ever be because there are still vocal tracks that were never recorded. Both are essential because together we get 'Smile' as close to perhaps how Brian had intended it to be. The Smile Sessions are the pieces of the puzzle with a nearly completed work included. Brian's 'Smile' in my humble opinion is the puzzle assembled.

MRamble, garrincha, OobuJoobu and 6 others like this.
  10. thetrout

thetrout Forum Resident

Beach Boys, easily. I dig Brian's version sometimes, but I just have problems with his voice in the 21st Century.

11. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Crimson jon and gpg6212 like this.
  12. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

I disagree.

13. Dark_Globe

Dark_Globe New Member

BWPS is better as a coherent album, but I find that the Beach Boys version is musically superior.

sjaca likes this.
  14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

beach Boys.....cause Brian Can't sing anymore.

And someone else mentioned that the atmosphere of the Beach Boys version really feels like a lost version.

Brian's version does have some merit.

Huck Caton likes this.
  15. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Here's a simple question - the additional lyrics on the BWPS version of Do You Like Worms and Child is Father of the Man -- were these 1966 lyrics or new lyrics?

16. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

They were added in the '00s by BW and Van Dyke Parks, I believe.

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Two different beasts. I like what Brian did in '04, but even as much as I enjoyed it, I felt it was a compromise at the time -- I wanted SMiLE from The Beach Boys. Now that we have it from The Beach Boys (albeit in an incomplete form), I doubt I will ever revisit Brian's 2004 rendition.

Dodoz and mbrownp1 like this.
  18. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Van Dyke wrote a lot of new lyrics for BWPS but in the case of "Roll Plymouth Rock" the words supposedly from 66 and were "remembered" (there are different versions of this story) during the making of BWPS.

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I prefer the Smile recordings that used a real harpsichord rather than the one used Kurzweil samples :)

Dodoz and mpayan like this.
  20. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I just literally finished listening to the 5 CD set again. So much to absorb, so little time. I like BWPS but have not played it since this set was announced. That being said I will probably play it again soon and then file it away. Why play what I consider a remake when I have a very satisfying original now. It's like asking if I would rather be with a 21 year old Bridget Bardot or Lindsey Lohan. I'll take the original every time.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a good point. There are times when listening to the 1966 SMiLE, I feel like I'm listening to a drunken merry-go-round about to come off the wheels. Very weird and unstable.

What's always sad to me is hearing Brian in the outtakes, totally in control, commanding the sessions, in full out "musical genius" mode. You wonder what happened to that guy...

BTW, Rolling Stone gave the boxed set 4-1/2 stars (not that their musical opinions necessarily matter), but maybe that'll convince more people to try it out.

supermd likes this.
  22. Cambot

Cambot Forum Resident

Except there's nothing more on the inside. Just the pillars.

Crimson jon likes this.
  23. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

The thrill of hearing BWPS for the first time will never wear off. Maybe I've been listening to the footwear too long, but the Sessions version didn't give me the same kind of charge. I'm glad we've got both versions.

SteveM, MRamble, Max Florian and 3 others like this.
  24. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

Comments 4, 5, and 9 speak for me. I just watched the BWPS DVD with the Beautiful Dreamer documentary and complete live performance the other night, and it was as exciting, moving, and artistically satisfying as when it was new.

25. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I like 90% of the Beach Boys versions better, but I like BWPS version of "Cabin Essence" better. You can really hear how brilliant those background vocals are on that version.

That said, I would never give up either one of them. Both have their place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.